McIlorum: It’ll be like my debut again

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

McIlorum: It’ll be like my debut again

Post by josie andrews »

Micky McIlorum admits he will feel as nervous as his first-team debut if he gets the green-light to return this weekend.

The hooker is fit-again after a frustrating 14-months out injured with a broken and dislocated ankle. He is hoping to make his comeback against St Helens this Friday, possibly from the bench in front of a bumper DW Stadium crowd.

Coach Shaun Wane may decide to bring him back against Wakefield three days later instead. Either way, McIlorum is counting the days until he can get back on the pitch - and says he expects some butterflies in the build-up.

“I’ll be very nervous, it’ll be liking making my debut all over again,” said the 29-year-old.

“I’ve been thinking about what it will be like, stood on the side waiting to come on. “It might even be a little bit worse than my debut because of the apprehension of my injury - everything is fine now but it’s lurking in the back of my head, ‘Is it going to be alright?’ “I’m fit to play, I’ve been out for so long so I’ve just been desperate to get back so you know the sooner the better for me.”

McIlorum suffered the horror injury playing against Brisbane in the World Club Series last February. He had initially hoped to return at the end of the season, and then when he was beaten by the clock, for the start of this year.

But surgical plates were causing him discomfort, forcing him to go under the knife again - a similar experience Sam Tomkins has just had with his broken foot - which delayed his return to now.

“I’ve been doing bits before and after training, to try and top up that bit of fitness - but there’s nothing like match-fitness,” he added.

Sean O’Loughlin, Joe Burgess and Anthony Gelling are also nearing returns from injuries.

More than 21,000 tickets have already been sold for Friday’s televised derby, which kicks-off at 12.15pm.

Saints are hunting for a new head coach after sacking Keiron Cunningham yesterday. Assistants Sean Long and Jamahl Lolesi are expected to be in charge on Friday.

“Keiron’s a really good guy and he loves that club,” said Wane. “I don’t know the circumstances, they obviously have their reasons but it’s sad when someone loses their job.”

Ex-Warrior Gareth Hock, now at Leigh, faces the RFL disciplinary tonight charged with foul and abusive language to a match official. He was one of five players cited by the review panel.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8486201
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
KaylaRobbo

Re: McIlorum: It’ll be like my debut again

Post by KaylaRobbo »

Hope he's still the good old fired up Micky Mc - not timid because he's worried about his injury!! :devi:
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

http://wiganwarriors.com/news/2017-04-1 ... ake-friday

Would be great to have all four available for Friday. Huge boost.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I think that Micky should make his comeback at home rather than at Wakefield. The home crowd will give him a massive lift and the Saints fans will enjoy booing the pantomime villain!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

god help saints
SJ

Post by SJ »

[quote="pedro"]god help saints[/quote

How many times have I told you TBW. MM is the best 9 in Super League. Great performance from both teams. :lol: :cool:

I was particularly impressed with "amazing" Grace. :D
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

We where doing good till he came on then the intensity dropped, as soon as he went off we started winning again, Powell is now our #1 Hooker
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wormburner wrote:We where doing good till he came on then the intensity dropped, as soon as he went off we started winning again, Powell is now our #1 Hooker
Except that didn't happen. In any case it's a bit ridiculous to decide who is the best hooker out of the two of them when one is in his first game back after 14 months out. :eusa9:
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Micky was excellent when he came on especially for someone who's been out for 14 months.

The problem we had was when Lockers went off. The team looked a lot more dimensionless. That needs sorting.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.