Cas game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Cas game

Post by DaveO »

adiddy wrote:
DaveO wrote:
adiddy wrote:oh and our best forward of the night....Davies!!!

On another note......Cas play some gorgeous rugby league, ....and a set of forwards that run onto the ball from deep and mean it!!!!
Apologies for picking your post apart but therein lies our problem. The forwards.
No problem DaveO it puts the point across plainly!!! I said to my son on the way over to Cas that as long as our forwards control their pack we'd have a great chance of winning..........Alas!!!!!
I have made the point a few times recently that out front row isn't doing the job and comments like yours just reinforce my opinion.

TT apart I don't know what has gone wrong. When FPN arrives last season I genuinely think he made an impact but this season I think I have seen one game where he did well. Flower has done nothing and while Sutton is going OK him and TT can't carry the pack.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

The front row hasn't got it done in any match this season. We need props who can turn up and get 8-10 metres a carry next to the ruck but who need a third defender or even a fourth defender to bring down. FPN is a big unit but goes down way too easily - lads playing against him are surprised by his lack of second effort.Flower this year is like Mossop over the last 2 years, just taking a shirt. TT runs hard but is at his best running slightly off the ruck, he's wasted as a pure battering ram.

Sutton is not fully fit, and is still very very raw. We are missing Dom Crosby tbh, who was technique wise the best front row we had over the past 2 years. Could make metres all game and defend strongly.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

That result has been lurking in the shadows all season. It was only a matter of time!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

So the morning after the night before..

Hard to really know how good Cas were as Wigan simply didn't want to know,frankly at times it looked like a training match.

Interesting comments regarding the forwards and I agree with them wholeheartedly FPN should be given his size Maurading through the opposing side but for some reason this season he looks a shadow of the player who arrived last season.

Sutton is,as said still so raw full of promise but not there yet,Flower who is a lovely bloke to meet wouldn't be top of my team sheet is doing very little other than,till last night be fit for most games.

The club should,in my opinion got rid of either Crosby or Mossop not both,to wave off that kind of experience was folly.

What saddens me about last night is for the first time in such a long time I don't feel they gave 100%,I'm sure they did but it didn't come across at all,I can more than take a defeat of course that's part of sport but for my ticket money I expect that effort,I don't feel I got that last night.
Wigan Watcher

Re: Tonight

Post by Wigan Watcher »

up the junction wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wormburner wrote:It's this new set up of the league, why should teams give 100% week in week out .....
Because the fans who go to support the team expect to be entertained.

We get the same useless excuse you posted above every season if we lose badly. The end of the season is all that matters. Bollocks. Tell that to the fans who travel to games (home and away) and expect them to keep doing it.

I kind of wish you were right but by the sound of it a Wigan team that should have been at least competitive put up a pretty pathetic showing.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Bang on
Totally agree.. a terrible performance.. Wigan didn't stick to the agreement.... YOU TRY YOUR BEST AND WE PAY TO WATCH IT.... Give their hard earned money back.

BriH

Post by BriH »

Listened to it on Wish FM - switched off halfway through 2nd half.
Yorkshire Syndrome again!!
Weird how a team can go from extreme to another. Injuries didn't help.
The worst outcome of this match is, of course, the injuries. Not good.
As always, I feel for the fans who made the journey on a Saturday night.
But.......we have to get behind Shaun and the lads - they need all the help they can get.
Not over yet.
markill

Post by markill »

The first hit we put in off the kick off made me feel like we had a chance of winning physically. But Cas just kept coming and Wigan did not keep hitting. They picked apart where the were obvious injury concerns and new combinations from the off. No point driving them back in one tackle then backing off the rest of the set. That's what happened in the first minute and then we saw it throughout.

Only Sutton really came on and ran straight and hard. We seemed to think Joel Tomkins was the secret weapon in attack, or that running outside backs sideways across the field with no one offering for a pass out drop off ball or even as a dummy would somehow undo our opposition.

It wasn't good enough.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

We have been playing busted for most of the season so far, and it's not going to get better anytime soon. Despite the team we put out last night we still only had three of our 1st choice backs playing. As stated previously for me where we're letting ourselves down is the lack of forward fire power, no go forward and zero runners when George or Powell was running the line. We had ample opportunity to score points last night, but like last season we seem devoid of ideas in the opposition 10 meter area.

On a brighter note we're still only 3pts from top, we've won 3 out of the last 4 games, Warrington lost, Leeds lost, Latics got relegated and Joshua TKO'd Klitchsko!!! I'm not too disheartened

Matt
shimmy192

Post by shimmy192 »

So if its only the business end of the season that matters- why do we go to games and hopefully be entertained by quality players. Why buy a season ticket? Why travel away? Its not on tbh.

Agree with the comments about Ben Flower, I have only seen him do well against Catalan last week- otherwise you only notice when he is being replaced and either Sutty or TT come on and put some fire in the pack. Should never have let Crosby go- good impact player- better then FPN from what I have seen this season!

Its going to be hard against Salford who will no doubt pick on our weakness now!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shimmy192 wrote:So if its only the business end of the season that matters- why do we go to games and hopefully be entertained by quality players. Why buy a season ticket? Why travel away? Its not on tbh.

Agree with the comments about Ben Flower, I have only seen him do well against Catalan last week- otherwise you only notice when he is being replaced and either Sutty or TT come on and put some fire in the pack. Should never have let Crosby go- good impact player- better then FPN from what I have seen this season!

Its going to be hard against Salford who will no doubt pick on our weakness now!
And this is the rather obvious elephant in the room when it comes to the structure of RL in this country.

The fact of the matter is that last night's result is highly unlikely to matter. At all.

However, the fans pay to be entertained irrespective of the consequence of the match.