Cas game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Yonner

Re: Cas game

Post by The Yonner »

I agree with fozzieskem it was bad business to move on our two most heavyweight props without adequate replacements. It may have appeared that Mossop wasn't putting much effort in, but that was just his running style. He was always a handful for the opposition to pull down, unlike some of the guys that stayed.

Isn't this another example of SHaun Wane favouring forwards in his own image? That is small and stocky blokes halfway between the traditional prop and second row. Even in the modern game, you still need a good big un!
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I went to the game unfortunately and what's already been said here is correct. Wigan didn't turn up they looked so dejected with their heads hung low. Cas were decent but we hung back and let them play. As for frank paul the ping pong ball I had high hopes for him but he couldn't burst a wet paper bag atm. Also it was my 1st away trip to cas, who's idea is it to mix fans? I'm a laid back chap but having lots of cas fans constantly saying sly comments and abusing folk just isn't on,amazing more trouble wasn't started. I wouldn't like to see what their fans are like when their losing. I suppose though they don't have anything else better to do having seen the delights of their town!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

BriH wrote:Listened to it on Wish FM - switched off halfway through 2nd half.
I stuck it out to the end. At the point you switched off the broadcast broke down so they played Ed Sheeran, as if I couldn't get any more depressed.

Hope he wasn't listening or else there'll be a bloody song about it!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I have just dared to watch the two minute highlights and staying positive?? we nilled them in the last 10minutes.????
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Kittwazzer wrote:
I stuck it out to the end. At the point you switched off the broadcast broke down so they played Ed Sheeran, as if I couldn't get any more depressed.

Hope he wasn't listening or else there'll be a bloody song about it!

Arf! :lol:
moto748

Re: Tonight

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote:
moto748 wrote:I was at the game. Cas were very good, but we were poor. Some of their tries (but by means all of them) were very soft. We could learn a lesson from their support play; the ball-carrier always seemed to have options, whereas they handling our predictable attacking plays with ease. Considering how much they chuck the ball around, they dropped it very seldom. This season we've suffered at times from a misfiring attack, but have been able to console ourselves that at least our defence has been good. Tonight, up against a good attacking side, we couldn't even claim that.
Which for a Champion side isn't good enough is it.
No, Dave, I agree, it's not. And poor as the forwards were, even if that issue was magically fixed, we looked bereft of ideas in attack, whereas Cas had players running lines all over the place keeping our defenders guessing, we listlessly shipped the ball along the line, which a sliding defence could deal with with ease.

But yes, to use that awful rugby union phrase, we consistently couldn't get over the gain line, which does make effective attack very difficult.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

We never play well at their place so no real point crying about it tbh, like Wakefield last season when we're bad we're terrible. Imo we throw away games too easily making sure we do just enough to secure a good playoff/super 8 spot, this was the case yesterday. Injuries aren't an excuse because every season you'll find games like this
superleague

Re: Tonight

Post by superleague »

Lack of ideas oh what a surprise. Does mr wane have a plan b or any other tactics I hope so or any time we play a team that can attack and defend where knackered
Moto this isn't a go at you by the way lol
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We have shown repeatedly we can beat anyone on our day. As to the lack of go forward, the props have to do more work as we dom't have an 80 minute hooker at the moment, which makes them less effective. Like others, I put this down to 1) one of those nights, 2) it meaning far less to us than them (and they are good and v dangerous at home). 3) it not being a game we will have particularly targeted, 4) too many injuries and 5) misfortune during the game. They dig deep for us most weeks, they have sufficient credit in the bank with me for a night off. Just as long as we don't make a habit of it.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Didn't we get stuffed by Les Cats last season in a similar manner? I seem to remember watching it on Sky and we were just blown away.
It happens now and again: RL equivalent of the 'Perfect Storm'.

I still worry about all these injuries season-on-season though. With the best will in the world, you can't keep putting out rookies against seasoned players and expect miracles.
Salford will be a real test of our resolve.