Wane without a whole team!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Green Machine

Re: Wane without a whole team!!

Post by Green Machine »

I know other teams are always having a laugh at " oh here we go Wigans got injuries " but I wonder how many clubs could actually field a team with 11 first teamers missing. Our next opponents being one of them since they did away with their junior teams.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There are clearly a range of injuries. Something like Gildart's or Clubb's or Tommy's could not be prevented.
Sam's was incurred, seemingly, away from the club.
It is the knee and ankle injuries which bother me - we get loads of them and players take longer to recover from them. Is that just bad luck or are we doing something wrong? One season I could just about put down to bad luck - for this one to be even worse suggests we are doing something wrong.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Not an expert on injuries, but recall Manfredi's injury caused by that fractious Rangi Chase "tackle", and Budgie by two Leigh players in what I can only describe as a "chicken-wing" type tackle to his knee. Leuluai's got a broken jaw,and MM reportedly rolled his ankle which he broke against Brisbane,
and Ryan Sutton's was an eye injury, so not training related either.

Last year it was the forwards bearing the brunt of the injuries, whilst this year the majority are being borne out by the backs, so there's no real pattern that I can make out. I'm certain with all the expert, professional medical back up available at the club, they'd be looking into injury prevention as a major priority to minimise the risks.

Hopefully it is just a pure case of "bad luck" and that in the fullness of time, players will recover and get some consistency back, otherwise this season we could be seriously derailed in our ambitions but nothing that has happened to other teams in the past.
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

If this is bad luck, somebody has been walking under a few ladders. That first half against Salford, first game of the season seems a long time ago now. What concerns me is the time it is taking for our players to recover from these injuries. Do they need to look at the medical treatment and rehab. On numerous occasions we are told they are on the way back and then they have another setback. Granted I am not a rugby coach or a medical person, but I am seriously beginning to doubt whether S Tomkins, Manfredi and Micky Mac will ever be able to play rugby at this level again. Also, what would be the implications of Tony Clubb playing again and damaging the other kidney. Personally if I was Tony I would not risk it and look for another career. Still confident we will be thereabouts at the end of the season.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
thegimble wrote:
Rochdale Warrior wrote: How do you work that out ?
Well given so many are missing and getting worse he has a point. Over training is a conditioning issue.
How many injuries have been su?

Overtraining can lead to issues with injuries picked up during games. How many injuries we have are leg issues. Broken leg or jaw are different to ones where cartilage muscle or ligaments ones.

It's not just last 12 months we have had an injury issue since 2013 on. You can not say we're just unlucky there is an underlying issue.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

We were sat right in front of the Chase/Manfredi tackle all I can say it looked ok to me,yes Dom was dazed but there wasn't much else that at normal speed you could call it on really,it was only when Dom walked off you could see that something was drastically wrong with him.

If I was Clubb I'd retire I just can't see he can make any sort of comeback from this given the rough nature of the sport,I hope I'm wrong.

Micky Mac is clearly made from granite because seeing his foot seemingly hang loose that Saturday night I never he'd play again,can he reach the heights?i don't know but it's going to take time for him next season will be the tester.

This isn't right,no other club has such an injury list so something is wrong what it is I just don't know but something has to be done,more rest maybe I don't know.
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Our players are trained as athletes, but perhaps to a degree that is super fit and therefore makes them liable to take more injuries. They are not 100 meter runners, high jumpers or gymnasts who attend events on an irregular basis.
Our lads are expected to turn out on a weekly basis over a long 8 month season.They may be fitter than other teams players but that is not much use if up to half the squad is injured at any one time (or in this case, most of the squad). And it doesn't stop them showing a lack of intent in games occasionally.
Yes, of course injuries occur but, as others say, not to the same degree in other teams

Time to get the balance right perhaps??
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

could our injury issue be down to easter.

past two season its be pointed out that wigan don't tire in the last 20 and how many games did we win due to this.

same point of the year we had alot of injuries as last year. could the playing he way we do just take to much out of the players?

the easter weekend although good in theory just doesnt work it takes to much out of teams and the monday games always lack skill. maybe time to just make a good friday event with every team playing and lots of promotion from the rfl
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Easter games ok why is just Wigan that kops all the injuries?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

jaws1 wrote:Easter games ok why is just Wigan that kops all the injuries?
we arn't though we just have the most. form for every team dips after easter and every team has multiple players that are carrying knocks.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.