Salford’s Justin Carney suspended for eight matches for racial abuse

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Salford’s Justin Carney suspended for eight matches for racial abuse

Post by josie andrews »

Salford winger pleads guilty but disputes severity of the charge
• Charge followed incident in the Challenge Cup tie against Toronto Wolfpack

Salford are to launch an internal investigation after the winger Justin Carney was banned for eight matches after pleading guilty to a charge of racial abuse.

The 28-year-old was involved in an incident in the Challenge Cup tie against Toronto Wolfpack and was issued with a charge of verbal abuse based on race/colour by the Rugby Football League’s disciplinary panel.

The hearing was postponed for a week at Salford’s request. Carney pleaded guilty, although he disputed the severity of the charge, at a hearing at the RFL’s Leeds headquarters which took over two hours to reach a conclusion on Tuesday evening.

An independent tribunal found Carney guilty, suspended him for eight games and fined him £300. Salford said that pending a decision on whether Carney will appeal he will now be the subject of a club investigation.

“Justin will undertake an internal investigation into his conduct by Salford Red Devils,” the Super League side said in a statement. “The club takes all disciplinary matters concerning race, creed and religion extremely seriously and embraces the sports strict code of conduct.”

Salford said the tribunal accepted Carney was “not a racist” and that his comments was not meant to be taken in the context they were. “He is grateful that having received several letters of support from within the community both here and in Australia, the tribunal has accepted he is not a racist. He is also grateful for the courtesy and fairness shown to him during the hearing.

“Whilst Justin has admitted using the offending words in an abusive manner, he did not intend his words to be taken in a ‘racial’ context. Justin is an Indigenous Australian and is proud of his aboriginal heritage. He stands firm on the position that he is not nor has he ever been a racist.”

Carney sat out last weekend’s victory against Widnes, meaning he has already served one game of the ban.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... red-devils
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
stevethegas

Re: Salford’s Justin Carney suspended for eight matches for racial abuse

Post by stevethegas »

Justin Carey gets an 8 match ban for racial abuse.

Brett Ferres gets 6 matches for breaking Gildarts back

Am I alone in thinking that priorities seem a bit skewed here?
Stevethegas
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

No place in sport for racism the ban should been longer,he's been lucky at 8 games tbh,that said I'd be amazed if he plays for Salford again.

We will see
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

stevethegas wrote:Justin Carey gets an 8 match ban for racial abuse.

Exactly!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
markill

Post by markill »

I don't think racial abuse or the like should ever be trivialised, so 8 games demonstrates the correct sort of approach. These are entirely different offences and whilst I understand your point, I don't think the issue you should be raising is one v the other.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Maybe a better answer would be a shorter ban for the abuse, but a bigger fine?

And what markill said.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It's apples and oranges you can't compare the incidents.

Do we really want a return to "monkey" noises from the terraces?

I know I don't and that's why the ban had to be as severe as the rules allow,racism is a cancer on society and simply should not be tolerated.

Unless all sports come down harshly on this type of thing it will creep back in.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

josie andrews wrote:

Exactly!!

the rugby league disciplinary is a total load of bollox , there is no justice , no even keel what so ever
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

The silly part here is Carney with his aboriginal background is an ethnic minority himself.
I would say that is strange but during my time in Africa I learnt early on that the loathing between the africans and the asians was always far more than against us 'mzungus' or whites.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

markill wrote:

I don't think racial abuse or the like should ever be trivialised, so 8 games demonstrates the correct sort of approach. These are entirely different offences and whilst I understand your point, I don't think the issue you should be raising is one v the other.
I'm not say it should be trivialised Mark, only that it a player is banned for less for almost ending another players career with a disgusting tackle.

We don't want racism in our game or society. But we should punish tackles like Ferres did on Gildart more severely.