Squad vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brad5926

Squad vs Salford

Post by Brad5926 »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... youngsters

With looking at the squad..... granted it is very young team. But I am excited to see lads play who have killed it for 19's/duel reg to have a go in the big leagues :D

Any thoughts on starting team?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Squad vs Salford

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Josh Woods is a good player and looks like the most promising half-back in the Academy, I hope he gets an opportunity to play.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

For me:
1. Tierney
2. Marshall
3. Budgie
4. Forsyth
5. Davies
6. Woods
7. Powell
8. Sutty
9. Ganson
10. FPN
11. Farrell
12. Tomkins
13. Isa
14. Tautai
15. Navarette
16. Gregson
17. Bretherton

Something like that for me.......quite excited to see what they can do!!!

Matt

Ps bloody quick 1-6!!!!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Josh Woods is a good player and looks like the most promising half-back in the Academy, I hope he gets an opportunity to play.
Not for me, his lack of pace is a major problem. I like the look of Harry Smith and Callum Green though, but they are still 1st year (U17's) so far too early for them yet.
ragman

Post by ragman »

Can I ask, what has happened to the progress of Sammy Kibula? He seemed to be the next big thing but seems to have gone quiet. I dont get to many u19s games tbh, so I may be way off, but can someone bring me up to speed?
shaunedwardsfanclub

No straw damn us wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Josh Woods is a good player and looks like the most promising half-back in the Academy, I hope he gets an opportunity to play.
Not for me, his lack of pace is a major problem. I like the look of Harry Smith and Callum Green though, but they are still 1st year (U17's) so far too early for them yet.
Jonathon Thurston lacks pace but he has all the other attributes. We shall have to see how they all develop. I do agree though that Smith and Green also look promising.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Salford also look busted, they are likely to be without: No O'Brien, Sa'u, J Carney, T Carney, Mossop, Griffin, Kopzcak, Hauarki and Flanagan. On the plus side they have Lui and Dobson fit in the halves and that may prove to be vital.
shaunedwardsfanclub

cherry.pie wrote:
ragman wrote:Can I ask, what has happened to the progress of Sammy Kibula? He seemed to be the hext big thing but seems to have gone quiet. I dont get to many u19s games tbh, so I may be way off, but can someone bring me up to speed?
He's playing some of his best rugby for the U19's and has been in excellent form recently, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't even turned 18 yet. He's in the England academy training squad this year and hopefully he'll continue to progress but it's too soon for him to be playing in the first team despite already looking the part physically.

There's no need to rush him when we've got really promising forwards like Wells, Field and Barnes already in the first team squad.
He is CP, one worry I have got is his fitness levels but he has time to work on that with Bitcom, Johnson and co. Like you said he is only a young pup but already playing against older lads will improve his game exponentially.
doc

Post by doc »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
ragman wrote:Can I ask, what has happened to the progress of Sammy Kibula? He seemed to be the hext big thing but seems to have gone quiet. I dont get to many u19s games tbh, so I may be way off, but can someone bring me up to speed?
He's playing some of his best rugby for the U19's and has been in excellent form recently, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't even turned 18 yet. He's in the England academy training squad this year and hopefully he'll continue to progress but it's too soon for him to be playing in the first team despite already looking the part physically.

There's no need to rush him when we've got really promising forwards like Wells, Field and Barnes already in the first team squad.
He is CP, one worry I have got is his fitness levels but he has time to work on that with Bitcom, Johnson and co. Like you said he is only a young pup but already playing against older lads will improve his game exponentially.

Sammy is very good with ball in hand but he needs to be more aggressive in defence for me. He has improved in this respect this year but with his size he should be hurting the opposition more.
markill

Post by markill »

doc wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
cherry.pie wrote: He's playing some of his best rugby for the U19's and has been in excellent form recently, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't even turned 18 yet. He's in the England academy training squad this year and hopefully he'll continue to progress but it's too soon for him to be playing in the first team despite already looking the part physically.

Sammy is very good with ball in hand but he needs to be more aggressive in defence for me. He has improved in this respect this year but with his size he should be hurting the opposition more.
I think he stands out more and more each time I see him play. Definitely got the goods with the ball and looks to be getting involved defensively and playing more minutes this year. He'll get his chance if not this year then next year. I would like to see him get some senior experience on loan in League 1 or dual reg at Swinton.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod