What is the truth

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: What is the truth

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

morley pie eater wrote:Clearly there's a balance to be had between airing differences of opinion (which makes life interesting. Imagine a thread for happy clappers and a separate one just for moaners!), and being offensive/personal.

A quick read through this thread and I was starting to think "Here we go again", repeating other recent threads about injuries and coming up with unsupported theories. This, of course is just my reaction and I choose not to engage in the discussion, but accept others have the right.

Along comes TBW and says "give us some evidence" which he also has a right to do. He is always polite and respectful whilst stating his views forcefully, as is his right.

I don't see anyone name-calling, being offensive or abusing others. And there's no rule about being mard or inconsistent (not meaning TBW).

So what is the problem? All seems a bit drama-queen to me. Then again, that's just my opinion...
Cheers morley, I just think that its always an easy option to turn to a conspiracy theory without any real evidence.

Out of the 14 missing players we have how many could you actually link to training? For a start one was on international duty and one suspended. Sam got injured in dubious circumstances, Manfredi from a dubious tackle, Gildart from an horrific tackle, Burgess was a bad tackle, Tommy was an accident, MM was a freak accident, Flower could happen to anyone at any point (Richards), Farrell got a knock, Bateman shoulder injury from hitting harder than his body should, Lockers down to age, Clubb had a horror tackle then a kidney removed, Powell has roled his ankle while jogging, Sutton eye injury, Gregson bad knee injury on a dodgy pitch, Shorrocks obviously has an issue with a knee, so who does that leave Tierney, Gelling and Williams?

So I ask the question again, do we have more injuries linked to training than any other SL club?

Or have we just been unlucky?

By the way what WF1985 wrote was a fantastic read.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:It could be coincidence, bad luck or both but you surely must at least implement a review of the training methods at the club?
The training methods that won us a GF and WCC?
Yes.

In spite of or on account of?

If the training methods are found NOT to be to blame then fair enough - we are the most unlucky club in SL......
In a recent interview with Mr Lenegan on Wigan TV, he said that Dr Brooke's & Mark Bitcom have investigated all possibilities of our injuries & found nothing that points to any training methods or playing strategies.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:Clearly there's a balance to be had between airing differences of opinion (which makes life interesting. Imagine a thread for happy clappers and a separate one just for moaners!), and being offensive/personal.

A quick read through this thread and I was starting to think "Here we go again", repeating other recent threads about injuries and coming up with unsupported theories. This, of course is just my reaction and I choose not to engage in the discussion, but accept others have the right.

Along comes TBW and says "give us some evidence" which he also has a right to do. He is always polite and respectful whilst stating his views forcefully, as is his right.

I don't see anyone name-calling, being offensive or abusing others. And there's no rule about being mard or inconsistent (not meaning TBW).

So what is the problem? All seems a bit drama-queen to me. Then again, that's just my opinion...
Cheers morley, I just think that its always an easy option to turn to a conspiracy theory without any real evidence.

Out of the 14 missing players we have how many could you actually link to training? For a start one was on international duty and one suspended. Sam got injured in dubious circumstances, Manfredi from a dubious tackle, Gildart from an horrific tackle, Burgess was a bad tackle, Tommy was an accident, MM was a freak accident, Flower could happen to anyone at any point (Richards), Farrell got a knock, Bateman shoulder injury from hitting harder than his body should, Lockers down to age, Clubb had a horror tackle then a kidney removed, Powell has roled his ankle while jogging, Sutton eye injury, Gregson bad knee injury on a dodgy pitch, Shorrocks obviously has an issue with a knee, so who does that leave Tierney, Gelling and Williams?

So I ask the question again, do we have more injuries linked to training than any other SL club?

Powell turned his ankle playing Salford.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

josie andrews wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: The training methods that won us a GF and WCC?
Yes.

If the training methods are found NOT to be to blame then fair enough - we are the most unlucky club in SL......
In a recent interview with Mr Lenegan on Wigan TV, he said that Dr Brooke's & Mark Bitcom have investigated all possibilities of our injuries & found nothing that points to any training methods or playing strategies.
Are they the right people to ask?

They are effectively auditing themselves!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Correct!
They may change direction but the fans won't know!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Yes.

Are they the right people to ask?

They are effectively auditing themselves!
Mr Lenegan

Professor Brooke's is "far & away" the best medical director in rugby league or union

Mark Bitcom is the leading number one sports scientist in the country
Why would you think they are the wrong people to ask? Do you think that because, as you put it "they are auditing themselves" that they would not field the truth?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

josie andrews wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

....while jogging on his own nobody near him back into the line!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

I don't think anyone really has the definitive answer as to why we have so many injuries at present, maybe bad luck or over training or a combination of both.
What is needed for the good of the game in general is to have all teams playing their best 13 so anything that can be done to stop injuries should be looked into.Mandatory helmet,padding and tweaking of the rules to help make things a bit safer without making the game too soft need exploring.
The by bell ringer tackles that come in when coming away from your own line are designed to knock the ball out (knock on).If you change the rules so you can not knock on in a tackle then the emphasis would be to effect a tackle to stop the player moving forward,a lighter hit from a stationary tackler rather than someone running in steaming from 10yards out should cause less damage,ie tackle to halt not knock someone out.
Let's face it it's always a lottery when the ball comes loose,has the ball been ripped out or lost?..it would stop the ball stealing.A knock on could still be given for attempting to catch a ball and knocking it forward...just a thought.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm sure there is something in the views given in the last few posts, but the question remains with me that if Wigan's alleged physical style and the force of collisions is a prime factor, by that seasoning, NRL clubs should be decimated with injuries to an extent even greater than ours! But that doesn't seem to happen. The Sharks famously went through last season with virtually a fully strength squad!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
....while jogging on his own nobody near him back into the line!!
Sorry, it was just the way it read that he was "jogging" not that he was "jogging" during the course of a game :)