Our own Ground

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Our own Ground

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wes wrote:I own my home instead of renting it, I am much better off by doing so.
Its apples and pears though

in this analogy you would say the person renting their homes other option is not "owning" a property is finding land and building a new house with no capital to invest.

If there was an empty fit for purpose stadium available then you could possibly look into that but i dont think there is many of them going spare
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jao711

Post by jao711 »

£30+ million is probably just a starting point for a 20,000 seat stadium.As I have posted once before,seven out of twelve Superleague clubs play on shared grounds,and if Cas &Wakey had any sense they would be heading that way.I know Saints have their own very nice stadium but their recruitment has dropped off.There isn't that much money in Superleague..Most of the Football League clubs are carrying a lot of debt.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

jao711 wrote:£30+ million is probably just a starting point for a 20,000 seat stadium.As I have posted once before,seven out of twelve Superleague clubs play on shared grounds,and if Cas &Wakey had any sense they would be heading that way.I know Saints have their own very nice stadium but their recruitment has dropped off.There isn't that much money in Superleague..Most of the Football League clubs are carrying a lot of debt.
They also had a ground to sell

Wiki has the cost of langtree as £25mil, i wonder if some of that was paid for by Tesco? as they have a shop on site too dont they?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
jao711 wrote:£30+ million is probably just a starting point for a 20,000 seat stadium.As I have posted once before,seven out of twelve Superleague clubs play on shared grounds,and if Cas &Wakey had any sense they would be heading that way.I know Saints have their own very nice stadium but their recruitment has dropped off.There isn't that much money in Superleague..Most of the Football League clubs are carrying a lot of debt.
They also had a ground to sell

Wiki has the cost of langtree as £25mil, i wonder if some of that was paid for by Tesco? as they have a shop on site too dont they?
Their ground was paid for by the council and our taxes, it even appeared on the council tax invoice. It was supposed to be a loan which would benefit the area's development, to be fair it worked that area was a shithole and now it looks good with a lot of decent shops in the area.
I'm sure saints came to some agreement later on to give a lump sum, not the full debt but a decent amount.
Wes

Post by Wes »

What would it cost to build stands around robin park sports arena? £30 mil, I doubt it not even close!! We have Orrell and Central Park to sell.

On the house analogy, a mate of mine bought land and built cost £300k now worth £650-£700k not bad eh.

Saints stadia makes them money and it is a huge asset for that business to have!
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Wes wrote:What would it cost to build stands around robin park sports arena? £30 mil, I doubt it not even close!! We have Orrell and Central Park to sell.

On the house analogy, a mate of mine bought land and built cost £300k now worth £650-£700k not bad eh.

Saints stadia makes them money and it is a huge asset for that business to have!
Saints have been running at a loss for years, owning your own stadium isn't that cheap. With our attendance figures it won't be cost effective unless we get the DW with shared ownership with the council
doc

Post by doc »

Personally I don't think we would be able to use the land around Robin Park to build stands as DW would be stupid to sell us the DW stadium carparks to build a competing facility that would allow his tenant to move out costing him income. He would just put a silly price on the land. You would also have an issue as to where fans can park as all available space is allready used by the DW stadium and other facilities in the area.

In addition I feel that the track between the stands and pitch kills the atmosphere somewhat so that would have to go (would also give extra space to build stands). You then have the issue of what would happen to the athletics clubs and schools that use the facility. All athletics in Wigan would then have to be done at LSV.

I could see Robin Park replacing Orrell and Central Park as a training facility with it still being available for others to use for athletics. A small office facility could be built on the site easy enough.

The council will be short of high school places in a few years time as class sizes are currently growing in junior and infants schools and the CP site is the cheap and easy option. I can see a deal being made to terminate the lease at CP wrt the training/office facilities and transfer it to Robin Park. The educational stuff that goes on CP could stay there if the site reopens as a school/academy.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

An awful lot guesswork going on here .Iwould guess that Saints had to borrow to build the TW ,and they didn't have astadium to sell they had a piece of land with a decrepit stadium on it.It would have cost a bundle to demolish it just like the old CP.Sorry you don't build a stadium to sell on at a huge profit.Are you sure the club OWN Central Park? Robin Park is what it is,a council owned community facility.Other sports use it.Would the MBC sell it ,and more to the point,would they grant planning consent fo another 15-20,000 seat stadium next door to the DW I very much doubt it? Where would you park? All this is because Saints own their ground(pr will do one day).They also own all the bills that come with it.Good luck to them it's a good stadium but don't imagine it came cheap.Father Christmas has retired.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

well it generated a few comments =.

all i can say is my wife and myself have supported Wigan RLFC for over 50 years and the DW stadium most of the time could pass for a morgue apart the noise a few hundred away fans make and the occasional bit of noise from the South and East stands

I agree with the comments that it is highly unlikely we would ever have our own ground again , that doesnt mean we have to like the DW stadium and i for one dnt and never have liked it
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm not convinced that TW is any sort of money spinner, it's certainly not the gold mine Saints fans thought it would be, a fact borne out by the calibre of players they have signed in recent years.
Best we can hope for is a shift in ownership of the DW which is more likely to happen as Latics fortunes continue to flounder. I'd like to see some kind of renegotiation where the Warriors (who bring the lions share of the revenue!) have overriding control.
The Widnes embarrassment should never be allowed to happen again!