What is the truth

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: What is the truth

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Stop talking sense WF1985, free from agenda!
:lol:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

TrevorNorleyHal​l​ wrote:Obviously they did not win but Widnes having two hookers nearly turned defeat to victory v Warrington this week. The rebirth of Wigan was based on Mac and Piggy cobining for 80 minutes. Cameron Smith is probably the only hooker that can give 80 minutes at the highest level week after week. Perhaps the key is having two hookers that offer different strengths for 80 minutes. Cunningham and Roby proved that as did Mac and Piggy.
Very much this, i think its something leeds do with tremendous effect, how often have they been down and brought burrow on at 9 tio speed up their ruck and cause problems
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Is this in my direction? Not sure what rattled your cage.
I can see that mine is a minority view, and it is a matter of opinion, but it isn't nonsense to consider whether McIllorum's shorter stints leave the team stronger or weaker. It is unarguable that we won the GF and WCC with an 80 minute hooker, and a surfeit of props. I am suggesting that the team is stronger in that scenario. Even more so to spare FPN and Tautai's workload when we have lost Flower and Clubb for the foreseeable.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

The thing about our props only doing 20 mins, is that's what our plan is. Hence (I assume) the training is geared to getting the most out of them in 2 x 20 min spells once a week. This is reinforced in practice, as, when enough are fit, that's just what they do.

When a situation arises where we have only 2 or 3 first choice props fit and they're asked to do, say, 30 min spells, it's not surprising that they don't always perform as well. Nor does it mean they're not capable of it - just that it's not what they've prepared for. It's a bit like asking a big centre to play prop.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Is this in my direction? Not sure what rattled your cage.
I can see that mine is a minority view, and it is a matter of opinion, but it isn't nonsense to consider whether McIllorum's shorter stints leave the team stronger or weaker. It is unarguable that we won the GF and WCC with an 80 minute hooker, and a surfeit of props. I am suggesting that the team is stronger in that scenario. Even more so to spare FPN and Tautai's workload when we have lost Flower and Clubb for the foreseeable.
What exactly are you basing this 'theory' on? The fact that he played shorter spells when sharing the role with a fantastic hooker in Piggy, the fact he played shorter spells when he was our only recognised hooker and SW was protecting him or the fact that he has been injured for 14 months with potentially a career ending injury and is only just returning?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am basing it on an observation that, in every game since his injury, and in many games beforehand he played less than 80 minutes. Whereas Powell plays 80 most times he plays.
I have loved watching mcillorum play and he has truly put his body on the line for our club for year after year. He is a wonderful player to have in the trenches and deserves time to recover from his injuries. I think this team and the squad would be stronger with an 80 minute hooker overall, that's all. If that is mcillorum and he gets back to his opposition terrifying pomp then I will be at the front of the queue shouting for him.
TrevorNorleyHall

Post by TrevorNorleyHall »

A defensive hooker interchanged with a dynamic fast evasive hooker is likely to make defeats become victories. Do we need 4 interchange props? We already have wingers and centres acting as props in exit sets. We already have halftimes and headbins acting as rest periods.
Wigan_forever1985

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I am basing it on an observation that, in every game since his injury, and in many games beforehand he played less than 80 minutes. Whereas Powell plays 80 most times he plays.
I have loved watching mcillorum play and he has truly put his body on the line for our club for year after year. He is a wonderful player to have in the trenches and deserves time to recover from his injuries. I think this team and the squad would be stronger with an 80 minute hooker overall, that's all. If that is mcillorum and he gets back to his opposition terrifying pomp then I will be at the front of the queue shouting for him.
Sam has never played 80 mins when Mickey has been available though has he? that fact he has played 80 mins so much is simply a result of squad depth and circumstance. Shorrocks was spelled with Sam P so he doesn't always play 80 himself

To my knowledge Mickey is the only first team ready out and out hooker. It makes sense to have Sam P on the bench and to use him at hooker even when Mickey is fit.

If Sam P wasnt available and Micky was fit Micky would play 80
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:I am basing it on an observation that, in every game since his injury, and in many games beforehand he played less than 80 minutes. Whereas Powell plays 80 most times he plays.
Sam has never played 80 mins when Mickey has been available though has he? that fact he has played 80 mins so much is simply a result of squad depth and circumstance. Shorrocks was spelled with Sam P so he doesn't always play 80 himself

To my knowledge Mickey is the only first team ready out and out hooker. It makes sense to have Sam P on the bench and to use him at hooker even when Mickey is fit.

If Sam P wasnt available and Micky was fit Micky would play 80
What was that famous Meatloaf song.......?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I suppose we shall have to wait and see. I have explained my reasoning, which was based on the approach that saw us win the GF and WCC, our first trophies since 2013 iirc.
I am a fan of sticking to that approach, but we will be able to see soon enough whether we gain more from interchanging hookers than we lose from the props working harder.