Re: Marshall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The young guys are collectively being outplayed defensively.
They lack the experience of their opposition and are being found out.
I'm not sure what can be done as if someone else is brought in they'll be less experienced than the lads already out there.
First team players back is a must but when that'll take place is anyone's guess.
We might have to go to Leigh and Wire without anyone returning.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wiganer Ted wrote:The young guys are collectively being outplayed defensively.
They lack the experience of their opposition and are being found out.
I'm not sure what can be done as if someone else is brought in they'll be less experienced than the lads already out there.
First team players back is a must but when that'll take place is anyone's guess.
We might have to go to Leigh and Wire without anyone returning.
From what I saw it is the experienced guys who are letting us down.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

Defensively weak?.....Marshall is anything but! He has just been left in situations where he has had to jump out of the line etc because of mismatches and overlaps. At the moment we are struggling because our young players are not as physically mature as most of their opponents, therefore not winning the one on one battles. (Just look at the tries we let in) As for attack, Marshall is a rare talent. Some of the tries he scores are brilliant......the in and out v Hull was world class......Eden at Cas couldn't come anywhere near that! I wonder how many tries he would have if he was the wing for cas?
If we get out injured players back at the right time (like we have the past couple of seasons) and the other teams burn themselves out and/or pick up knocks we will be there or there abouts again........just wish we had a goal kicker.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

mjdodge13 wrote:Defensively weak?.....Marshall is anything but! He has just been left in situations where he has had to jump out of the line etc because of mismatches and overlaps. At the moment we are struggling because our young players are not as physically mature as most of their opponents, therefore not winning the one on one battles. (Just look at the tries we let in) As for attack, Marshall is a rare talent. Some of the tries he scores are brilliant......the in and out v Hull was world class......Eden at Cas couldn't come anywhere near that! I wonder how many tries he would have if he was the wing for cas?
If we get out injured players back at the right time (like we have the past couple of seasons) and the other teams burn themselves out and/or pick up knocks we will be there or there abouts again........just wish we had a goal kicker.
Well Marshall was certainly at fault for Saints' first try, but I agree often it hasn't really been his fault; often he's found himself with two men to mark, and when you're facing a ball-carrier with a spare man on his outside, that usually means a try every time.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Can't believe people are saying anything bad about this lad. He will make mistakes, he is inexperienced but he's the only player who's standing to be counted in my eyes.
If it wasn't for him, some of the games wouldn't of been close without his tries.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Barney841 wrote:Can't believe people are saying anything bad about this lad. He will make mistakes, he is inexperienced but he's the only player who's standing to be counted in my eyes.
If it wasn't for him, some of the games wouldn't of been close without his tries.
Correct he cannot be blamed for his lack of experience
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I want watch wingers who, when put in space, have the pace to score a try 100% of the time.

I want to watch wingers who can create half a chance, and turn it into a try.

In short I want to watch wingers who are like Liam Marshall.

I cannot think of any other winger in the squad at the moment who deserves the shirt more than him.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I rate the lad and think he's a very good natural finisher, he just knows how to get over the line. Only thing that I worry about is his lack of size, plenty of trys have been scored against us by players just going straight over the top of him. Also agree that budgie in the centre's hasn't helped! rushing out the line every 2 minutes and leaving Marshall 2v1 the lad can't be blamed for that. Im a big fan of the younguns coming through but I think in games against big sides we come undone because afew of them are quite small and haven't reached their physical peak yet
moto748

Post by moto748 »

w.thomas wrote:I rate the lad and think he's a very good natural finisher, he just knows how to get over the line. Only thing that I worry about is his lack of size, plenty of trys have been scored against us by players just going straight over the top of him. Also agree that budgie in the centre's hasn't helped! rushing out the line every 2 minutes and leaving Marshall 2v1 the lad can't be blamed for that. Im a big fan of the younguns coming through but I think in games against big sides we come undone because afew of them are quite small and haven't reached their physical peak yet
Well, quite. If he a had a big experienced centre inside him like (pulling a name at random) Jake Webster, he'd find life a lot easier. I think we all agree that his perceived defensive shortcomings are, at worst, only partially his fault, and anyway his terrific finishing puts him well in the credit column.

How great it was to see a Wigan winger take on a defender on the outside and skin him down the touch-line! :eusa2:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

moto748 wrote:
w.thomas wrote:I rate the lad and think he's a very good natural finisher, he just knows how to get over the line. Only thing that I worry about is his lack of size, plenty of trys have been scored against us by players just going straight over the top of him. Also agree that budgie in the centre's hasn't helped! rushing out the line every 2 minutes and leaving Marshall 2v1 the lad can't be blamed for that. Im a big fan of the younguns coming through but I think in games against big sides we come undone because afew of them are quite small and haven't reached their physical peak yet
Well, quite. If he a had a big experienced centre inside him like (pulling a name at random) Jake Webster, he'd find life a lot easier. I think we all agree that his perceived defensive shortcomings are, at worst, only partially his fault, and anyway his terrific finishing puts him well in the credit column.

How great it was to see a Wigan winger take on a defender on the outside and skin him down the touch-line! :eusa2:
Marshall must play - a run out at fullback would be worth a go if squad allows it. Running rings round Shaul was sublime. One worry is lack of height, and this applied to Tierney and that Saints exploited was to put a high bomb and then leap above to score.