Willie Isa - new contract?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
OAMJSONA

Re: Willie Isa - new contract?

Post by OAMJSONA »

Not big enough and not good enough simple as
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

pedro

Post by pedro »

fozzieskem wrote:
pedro wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Honestly i still fail to see how Joel got a new deal,he's hardly been fit before this season since his return.
improving all the time since his injury, played through his injury unlike some then had the op when fit troops came back. As for Isa couldnt burst through a wet paper bag, offers nothing really.
And the previous 3 years?

To me,in a squad blighted and haunted by injuries it seemed odd to offer a player who's done relatively nothing since his return from union and had his own injury problems as well,just my opinion as I don't listen to the groans around when the side concedes yet another penalty from him.

I understand about loyalty etc,but in these days of the salary cap players need to turn in week out,which is what ISA offers I suppose

he might offer that but hes not good enough, a Willie ISa at the top of hid game still doesnt get near the starting 17, I dont think you could say that about Joel.
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Been useful to have around but not as a regular player.
If I remember correctly, was he not a Widnes cast-off retained as a reserve.
Says it all. Reserve player used all the time due to injuries to others.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Reading all these posts it seems to me the majority who have anything positive to say is that he is a workhorse and manages to stay injury free.

We have had plenty of workhorse type players in the past who were underrated because they were not flashy. I am thinking of Mick Cassidy in particular who for me only got recognition towards the end of his career. Is Isa anywhere near as good as him? No, he isn't. He's miles off.

Plenty of players give 100% but ultimately lack the skills needed even to be retained as a workhorse type player. They have to be able to offer something other than 50 tackles a match. Some go forward or a bit of pace. Something.

I think we have too many players who fans overrate because they work hard and offer little and Isa is one.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Cant catch a ball, makes a break once a season and is a penalty machine , get rid asap
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Isa has been poor this season when he has been one of the more experienced players in the side we have had available. Never breaks the line and given away crucial penalties that have cost us tries against us.

No way should he be given a new contract, average at best.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

old hooker wrote:Cant catch a ball, makes a break once a season and is a penalty machine , get rid asap
You're entitled to your opinion on matters which are purely opinion, such as "he's too ugly to play for Wigan". Saying "he's a penalty machine" is something that should have some basis in fact.

How would you define "penalty machine"? Who else would you include in this category?

Here's some data which may help:
Wigan's top penalties:
Joel 14
Tautai 13
Lockers 10
Isa 10
Faz 10
FPN 10

Now, without evidence, I'd say that Isa has played more minutes than just about all the others in that list.

Another way to compare is number of tackles made, since most penalties are awarded in or around the tackle.

Isa 502
Tautai 440
Faz 407
Joel 365
FPN 355
Lockers 261

Not only is Isa our top tackler this season, but he concedes less penalties per tackle than anyone!

If you were to apply the term "penalty machine" to anyone, Lockers would have to be first on your list.

Finally, the league's top penalty givers are way ahead of Wigan's:
Fifita, Watts, Minichiello and Ikahihifo have each conceded 18, for example, and I'd have any of them in my team.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

michael inch stoke wrote:Isa has been poor this season when he has been one of the more experienced players in the side we have had available. Never breaks the line and given away crucial penalties that have cost us tries against us.

No way should he be given a new contract, average at best.
Tackle Busts: 18
Clean Breaks: 2
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Don't go confusing us with facts, now, Morley! :lol:
morley pie eater

moto748 wrote:Don't go confusing us with facts, now, Morley! :lol:
My apologies, Moto. I'm too old to keep up with the age of "alternative facts" and "fake news" :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐