General election

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
thegimble

Re: General election

Post by thegimble »

Last night has shifted how elections works in the UK for ever. Younger adults seemed to get well organised and actually if they were in UNI they voted where they could get rid of an MP either Tory or Lib. Conservatives now have a problem if we get another election this year and its likely it will be in college term and that could be really interesting.

But the biggest result last night was how little real influence the right wing media had on the result and that people now can get motivated to vote by just going on line and get an informed choice. Most British papers are right wing for a reason and that is they want to avoid as much tax and for Murdoch he is desperate to get Fox to own SKY as SKY audience is falling badly for the subscription channels.

I had a feeling that the election was running away from the Tory Landslide last week. I work at Tesco and in the canteen after May announced the election all the woman on the usual table said they could not vote for Corbyn for the way he looked even though they did not know his politics but they could vote for May because she looked the part. Then last week they started to say positive things about Corbyn. Also if you like to go troll hunting on MSN tory supporters and I presume they were official workers started to get really aggressive if you knocked May. Felt she would be where she was tbh before the election.

But now she is done for. Danger for the country now is that Tories do what they do when the right wing never get their way and start stabbing her in the back and it gets nasty and Tories divisions come out. They are just if not more divided than Labour is. But the managed to keep it underwraps up to now.

May ran a cowardly election fight in my life time. She bottled TV debates with Corbyn. And that looked like our defence last night. May took a risk for her own career and not the countries. She now has to do a deal with the DUP who wants open borders with the Irish Republic and EU have already said you can not cherry pick where you have borders as the EU is one club.

Last night was a great night for Corbyn. People think I vote Labour I do not I vote on principal of who has the better policies so I can switch. As I said I like to be informed and make my own mind up.

If ever there was a Rocky Balboa in politics its Corbyn he has taken a battering from his own MP's all the right wing media, Tories and others. Even he did not win the election he is the real winner and could be set for a 2nd round in October where I know feel he could win with doing a pact with the Lib Dems not unlike the pact Tories did with UKIP last night which has failed.

Last point its great to see UKIP voters not just go one way. May took everything for granted and it backfired. I just hope Shaun Wane understans that as he is looking as vulnerable as her.

SJ

Post by SJ »

Well the pound fell by 2% So that's a good start for a "Well" hung parliament Good start for our Brexit negotiations. Dave must be right about the intelligent voters Diane Abbot got the biggest majority since the year dot.
Still the Electorate will reap what they sow. Me I'll just raise my drawbridge and head back to Italy. Good Luck. Oh and excellent win last night Leigh. :lol:

We're all doomed. Doomed I say with a Sturgeon accent :conf:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

SJ wrote: Still the Electorate will reap what they sow.
Yes just like Brexit!
I'm off to Spain next week but stashed some euros 2 years ago when it was 1.40 to the £ and will more than get by. :D
Bucked me up no end after last night's result this lot.
As an adage SJ can you define Brexit is Brexit?
I've still to hear a politician say what soft and hard Brexit is in detail. Perhaps the idiots that voted Labour are no different to the ones that voted Brexit? There is one difference though, Corbyn has morals, Brexit is the unknown.
So who's the biggest idiot, the one who votes for the man with morals or the o e who doesn't know what he's/she's voting for?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

SJ wrote:Well the pound fell by 2% So that's a good start for a "Well" hung parliament Good start for our Brexit negotiations. Dave must be right about the intelligent voters Diane Abbot got the biggest majority since the year dot.
Still the Electorate will reap what they sow. Me I'll just raise my drawbridge and head back to Italy. Good Luck. Oh and excellent win last night Leigh. :lol:

We're all doomed. Doomed I say with a Sturgeon accent :conf:
I thought the pound falling as it did immediately after Brexit was supposed to be a good thing for our exports? Is that now not the case? :wink:

As to Abbott I thought the attacks on her were unprecedented to the extent they ought to be investigated as potentially racist and sexist. I think a line was crossed with the attacks on her. I personally have never thought she comes over well nationally in the "big politics" sense but you cannot knock her record of service.

She has been in parliament for over 30 years and before that was a top civil servant in the Home Office.

I suggest you and others who seemingly hate her guts read this for some insight:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/06 ... t-content/

As to me being right about anything I have not looked at the results but I suspect what I posted on here a few days ago in that I hoped the projected increase in Tory vote would be in hard brexit areas that were Labour but where Labour were still strong enough to hold the seat may well have happened. Some of the first seats declared were in Sunderland and while Labour won there was a small swing to the Tories.

No idea if that happened elsewhere but it's clear the UKIP collapse didn't lead to a huge Tory landslide which is exactly what the incompetent T May was hoping would happen.

The other interesting set of results were in Scotland. Clearly the unionist areas have sent a message to the SNP to back off IndyRef2. The results there have saved the Tories from being in a minority v the combined other parties so if as I suspect well have another general election sooner rather than later (October maybe) Labour need to work on winning back more seats off the SNP and taking IndyRef2 out of the political equation up there as Brexit seems to have largely been removed from it in England.

Peter252

Post by Peter252 »

Great result for the democratic process, at last the young have found a political voice. The thing that stands out for me is the glaring implication that even with an upsurge of support Labour is not going to win an outright majority with reigniting the Labour vote in Scotland.We need to get back to the days of 30/40 Scottish Lab MP's.
The irony of the Tories not wanting an independent Scotland is that if they were independent than we would effectively be a one party state.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:
She now has to do a deal with the DUP who wants open borders with the Irish Republic and EU have already said you can not cherry pick where you have borders as the EU is one club.
The interesting thing about that is the price of such a deal is the DUP do NOT want a special status for Northern Ireland.

I have been reading that their price for a deal is an equally hard Brexit for N.I. as for the rest of the UK. Their stupid "logic" is that if N.I. got such a special deal such as open borders to the republic this would place N.I. closer to Europe (and therefore closer to the republic) than to the UK. That is they see a soft Brexit for N.I. as a threat to its Union with the rest of the UK.

The issue of N.I. and its border with the republic has always been one of (if not the) biggest Brexit issue that May and Co have just kept kicking down the road because they have no sensible answer.

Now the very thing that could lead to serious political repercussions i.e. a hard border with the republic, is the price the DUP want to make May & Co pay for remaining in government.

Assuming May goes for this, we will now see that what motivates Tories is not the good of the UK but the overriding desire to remain in power. They will risk an upsurge in Irish Republicanism by allowing the DUP to dictate a hard brexit for N.I. to cling to power.

Lets see if there are any Tories prepared not to go down this unprincipled track who will step up and say no to a very dangerous Tory/DUP pact. I am not holding my breath.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Theresa liked her dolls. She liked to have more dolls than her friends and was happy when she counted them and found that she had 16 more than Jesamine, Nicola and Tina put together.
But Theresa had learned to count to 100, and started to think, “I’d like to have 100 dolls more than the other girls!”
So, one day, Theresa said to her friends “Let's play a game. We'll put all our dolls in the garden and whoever wins a race round the lawn can keep any doll they choose.” (This was a bit naughty because Theresa knew she was the fastest runner.)
She even persuaded Jesamine, who had most dolls apart from Theresa, to join in. Theresa felt very clever indeed!
On a nice sunny day in June, the girls all joined in Theresa’s game. But you'll never guess what happened!
The first time Theresa ran round the lawn, she tripped up over a stone and cut her knee. Jesamine won the race and chose one of Theresa's dolls. Gideon, who was watching over the fence, laughed very loudly, which made Theresa stamp her feet, and then cry.
When the dolls were all claimed, Theresa had nine less than she'd started with, and Jesamine had TWENTY NINE more. Gideon thought this was so funny that he even joked with Edward, and they'd never been friends before.
Even some of Theresa’s family told her she'd been very, very silly.
Best of all, the children who hadn't talked to Jesamine before realised that she was much nicer than Theresa and liked to share her dolls with everybody, especially the children who didn't have toys of their own.

Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:The country is in limbo.

It is virtually split down the middle and no one really knows who or what is best in these unprecedented times.

No one really understands the complexities or detail and financial cost associated with Brexit

No one has a grip on the NHS ,schooling and social care for the elderly

As for security of the country then recent events will tell you that no one in power has the foggiest how to deal with the issues as politicians are frightened to death of upsetting people with straight talk.

Weve tried Labour , then tories, tried a Condem coalition whats next sack the lot of them and have one major party or get rid of all political parties and have military rule?

Sorry kids but your future looks about as clear as mud at the moment and it is a disgrace.
When have we tried Labour since Brexit and the threat from ISIS has been prevalent?

The last time we had a terrorist threat and had a Labour government it resulted in the Northern Ireland peace process. They weren't frightened of upsetting people with the deal they did to secure peace in N.I.

And now we have Corbyn who is advocating a different approach to security than the stupid "lets ban burkas and rip up the ECHR" of the Tories.

Saying no one really understands the complexities or detail and financial cost associated with Brexit is just an excuse not to admit Brexit is a balls up. It is blindingly obvious that the issue of the border with Northern Ireland and the Republic is a huge political problem.

What is certainly true is none of the politicians who advocate a hard brexit have a clue how to come up with a solution to this issue. It's been studiously ignored almost as if they hope it will simply go away. It won't and now it looks like May will, yet again, put Tory party interests before those of the UK as she agrees to a deal with the DUP that will be a recruiting ground for Republican extremists. She is the worst PM we have ever had and that really is saying something after that idiot Cameron.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

May has shown she isn't strong and stable, but also Labour haven't made enough ground to challenge the conservs effectively,

what i do find interesting (and yes i understand its how our voting system works) is that the Conservs only recieved 2.4% more of the vote than labour, importantly this was 57 more seats.

seats show a conserv leaning in the UK but voting shows the country is near enough split down the middle between conservs and labour.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

May won't fight the next election of that I'm sure,she's a lame duck PM one who shots herself in the foot spectacularly.

It does seem like a return to two party politics but I suspect it's a little to early to say for sure,I doubt Corbyn,if this unholy alliance lasts for 5 years will be leading the Labour Party age will count against him.