Wigan WILL be in Super 8s

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Wigan WILL be in Super 8s

Post by morley pie eater »

We have 5 games left before Super 8s:
Hud, Wid, Cat (all A)
WAR, LDS (H)
We're on 16 points.

Other teams in the mix:
SAINTS (17)
Home: SFD, HULL, CAT
Away: Hud, Lds, Wake

HUDDERSFIELD (14)
Home: STS, WIG, WID, LGH
Away: Sfd, Hull

CATALANS (13)
Home: LGH, WIG, CAS
Away: War, Sts

WARRINGTON (12)
Home: CAT, LGH, WID
Away: Wfd, Wig

For us to miss out on Super 8s (ie finish 9th or lower), three of these teams have to finish ahead of us.

Warrington would have to win 4 out of 5 to finish on 20 points. We'd need 2 from 5 to be above them unless they can make up over 146 points difference. Not likely.

Catalans likely to lose to Cas(H) and Leeds(A) - would have to beat War(A) AND us and Lgh at home to end on 19. Two wins enough for us to stop them.

Now consider Saints (!): They have Hud, Lds and Wakefield away plus Hull and Salford at home. How many of these 5 would you back them to win? And they're only 1 point above us!

While we are trying to accumulate enough points, remember that the other 4 teams mentioned have to play each other, that's 2 points lost for somebody.

My prediction: we finish 7th and climb to 5th in Super 8s, then on to GF.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
thegimble

Re: Wigan WILL be in Super 8s

Post by thegimble »

No from me I have a feeling that we are too far behind for top 4. So Wane will look for easiest route to the CC if we beat Wire.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Scrapping through then getting to the grand final would not be good for the sport as a whole, even though it would be to our advantage.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

morley pie eater wrote:We have 5 games left before Super 8s:
Hud, Wid, Cat (all A)
WAR, LDS (H)
We're on 16 points.

Other teams in the mix:
SAINTS (17)

HUDDERSFIELD (14)

CATALANS (13)

WARRINGTON (12)

For us to miss out on Super 8s (ie finish 9th or lower), three of these teams have to finish ahead of us.

Warrington would have to win 4 out of 5 to finish on 20 points. We'd need 2 from 5 to be above them unless they can make up over 146 points difference. Not likely.

Catalans likely to lose to Cas(H) and Leeds(A) - would have to beat War(A) AND us and Lgh at home to end on 19. Two wins enough for us to stop them.

Now consider Saints (!): They have Hud, Lds and Wakefield away plus Hull and Salford at home. How many of these 5 would you back them to win? And they're only 1 point above us!

While we are trying to accumulate enough points, remember that the other 4 teams mentioned have to play each other, that's 2 points lost for somebody.

Widnes are at home Morley. We will make the Super 8s though.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

Hud, Wid, Cat (all A)
WAR, LDS (H)
We're on 16 points.

Other teams in the mix:
SAINTS (17)

HUDDERSFIELD (14)

CATALANS (13)

WARRINGTON (12)

You can't get to the grand final by finishing 5th. You need to be in the top 4.
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Hud, Wid, Cat (all A)
WAR, LDS (H)
We're on 16 points.

Other teams in the mix:
SAINTS (17)

HUDDERSFIELD (14)

CATALANS (13)

WARRINGTON (12)

Only the top 4 in the super 8s can compete for the Grand Final
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

The way the Giants have suddenly woken up suggests that we will lose that game and we cannot trust the Cats to be anything other than perfidious Francais so it is becoming too close to call in my opinion.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree that we will need to win 2 of our home games as I cannot see us winning the 2 away ones, judging by our "efforts" these last 2 months.
For what it's worth, looking at the Giants' recent performances I expect another hiding there followed by a belated realisation that we are in a battle for survival.
I think we will then put everything into getting the 2 wins we need and will have an enjoyable pressure free time in the super 8s outside the 4.
The big difference between our 2017 vintage and the 2006 one is that we have genuine talent in this squad if they can be bothered/get fit enough to play.
rsefinepics2017

Post by rsefinepics2017 »

Wigan will make the eights, but they will struggle to win super league.

They can finish between 6 and 8 and thats it, for me they are having a shocking season, the injuries are a huge factor. The fact we have 10 out with some of those long term does have an effect.

All these other supporters (from other clubs), saying we are making excuses, well i can respond to that by saying what would they say if their Team had so many out injured?

No other Club has has this many injuries. Wane wont use that as an excuse, he never does, those that have played cant defend their goal line and thats pretty much whats costing them atm.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Warrior20 wrote:

You can't get to the grand final by finishing 5th. You need to be in the top 4.
Oops! :blush: :blush:
Good point, thanks W20. My original intention was just to say that we can and should make the top 8. Got carried away with talk of GF, though I still think it's possible when troops return - but from 4th, obviously!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐