Forwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Forwards

Post by Suzieb »

The obvious problems at wigan lie in the forwards we currently have ben flower and tony club out and big frank and t/t not punching their weight;as most people who know anything about rugby know that a team who lay a platform by going forward create the space for their backs to play.To go into a season with a shortage of experienced fullback,centres,props,goalkickers,will result in the results that we are currently having.This is no way a critism of the young players but a critism of some of our senior players who are just not doing it.
DaveO

Re: Forwards

Post by DaveO »

Suzieb wrote:The obvious problems at wigan lie in the forwards we currently have ben flower and tony club out and big frank and t/t not punching their weight;as most people who know anything about rugby know that a team who lay a platform by going forward create the space for their backs to play.To go into a season with a shortage of experienced fullback,centres,props,goalkickers,will result in the results that we are currently having.This is no way a critism of the young players but a critism of some of our senior players who are just not doing it.
There is more too it than that IMO. We have been playing poorly since about the WCC game with a variety of players and before the likes of Clubb, Flower, Gelling and others picked up injuries.

The issue of looking clueless in attack in the last 25m has been there several seasons now.

The return of Gildart and Bateman could spark something better maybe but to me the lack of addressing obvious issues such as the 25m attack and goal kicking season after season transcends the obvious problems injuries cause. That isn't the players fault it's Wanr's.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I agree but i also think these two need a rest with the other two out.....flower is our best go forward prop imo and clubb adds so much off the bench..... all 4 were destroying teams at the start of the season( along with sutton)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

I, for one , will be glad we wont be playing the WCC comp next year (I just cant see it) because I think it has seriously disrupted our season. The Team peaked early, as did Warrington and both have struggled to recover. Also we suffer injuries Micky Mac last year, the Bateman saga this year both very important pivotal players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

acwrlfc wrote:I, for one , will be glad we wont be playing the WCC comp next year (I just cant see it) because I think it has seriously disrupted our season. The Team peaked early, as did Warrington and both have struggled to recover. Also we suffer injuries Micky Mac last year, the Bateman saga this year both very important pivotal players.
How can you say we peaked early? The WCC was the 2nd game of the regular season!

The idea we gave all we had to give by the 3rd week of January having played one competitive game before this is bizarre.
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Maybe "peaked" was the wrong term but we certainly targeted that game. I remember reading reports\quotes from within the club stating that the pre season was all geared to the WCC game. As I say its just my opinion and I still believe it was\is a unwelcome distraction.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Firestarter wrote:flower is our best go forward prop imo and clubb adds so much off the bench..... all 4 were destroying teams at the start of the season( along with sutton)
At no point has Flower been our best prop, not this season or any other. Bullied by halfbacks and stat-wise he is shocking, those cherry & white tinted glasses need changing. The man is a joke on the pitch

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

acwrlfc wrote:I, for one , will be glad we wont be playing the WCC comp next year (I just cant see it) because I think it has seriously disrupted our season. The Team peaked early, as did Warrington and both have struggled to recover. Also we suffer injuries Micky Mac last year, the Bateman saga this year both very important pivotal players.
I remember someone writing about this straight after the Cronulla game.
Like a top athlete struggles to peak twice in one season, so do rugby players unless they are suitably rested throughout that season, and with that comes the understanding when Wane said he would be using much more of the youth in his side in 2017.
I can understand that statement as I know where he's coming from, but with the number of injuries we've had has totally disrupted this, in that for some of those games where a stronger squad could have been used, wane hasn't had this luxury.
Some of the players who have played all season are stating to look a bit jaded, someone else mentioned Budgie and I tend to agree. Last year we were lucky as we got key players back from injury when it mattered and they all performed well at the business end and in the final.
I honestly think it's a hurdle too far this season for the GF, but if we can raise our game this weekend and start getting key troops back there's no reason we can't look at another trip to Wembley. We need two players who can play Centre, Ollie is a positive as Budgie is no centre. If Gells is out longer term I'd honestly look at putting Batty at right Centre, he's not unfamiliar with this position and we do have back rowers who are covering.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We have missed bretherton.
Navarette has fallen apart.
Flower and Clubb's injuries/illness were unfortunate but there are always going to be injuries in the forwards.
In retrospect I think we went into the season one prop light. Maybe the plan was for Tomkins to play there but he hasn't really grasped that nettle.
As for the WCC, it is a prize worth winning and worth targeting. We can be very proud of what we did that day.
What has scuppered us is our inability to prevent injuries, discipline on and off the field and the world's longest recovery times...
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Suzieb wrote:The obvious problems at wigan lie in the forwards we currently have ben flower and tony club out and big frank and t/t not punching their weight;as most people who know anything about rugby know that a team who lay a platform by going forward create the space for their backs to play.To go into a season with a shortage of experienced fullback,centres,props,goalkickers,will result in the results that we are currently having.This is no way a critism of the young players but a critism of some of our senior players who are just not doing it.

I agree with a lo of what you say but to say TT is not pulling his weight is a strange statement, he has been our best prop all season.