Re: Child's

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Post by markill »

LooseHead wrote:Not saying it was the wrong call, just that with J Child there's no concept of letting something go. Reason players surprised was because every game probably includes half a dozen of those types of incidents but most refs see it as not creating advantage and realise that if they keep blowing up for technicalities the players and fans get frustrated. It's JCs lack of applying a bit of common sense that is annoying. As a Wigan fan I'll take a penalty to us anytime but as a RL fan I don't want to see refs who can't let a game flow.
I take your point, but then read the above comments about him supposedly letting things go, like offsides. I think it's good of a ref to give a penalty for an offence that blatant to set down a marker as where he's drawing the line on the rules that game. What is annoying is the constant undermining of match officials who are blamed for high penalty counts when they call things the players do against the laws of the game and dammed for not giving apparently blatant penalties. Child wanted the game to flow, not his fault the players kept pushing the boundaries giving him no choice but to award penalties. So much holding on, diving around, letting go of the ball, looking at the ref for a call. It puts him in a position where he has to make a call one way or the other. I blame the players personally, even though as stated, I think Child made some mistakes last night.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

All of the above sums up the problem with him. Yes, he gave a penalty for moving off the mark and then faced with worse cases later - he didn't give a penalty. Inconsistent.
I don't normally whinge about the offside as all sides see what they can get away with and spectators howl all the time but how Warrington were allowed to get away with being sometimes 4 yards away from the play the ball was baffling. As for slowing the play the ball down - Warrington worked out what they could get away with and played it for all it was worth. I don't blame them but a decent ref would have stopped it and the game would have been better.
I suppose what summed him up was the penalty given when a Warrington player pushed a Wigan player over after a tackle and so Child compromised by giving Warrington a penalty for holding down, which certainly wasn't the case. And that's why players get angry and backchat.
markill

Post by markill »

Southern Softy wrote: Yes, he gave a penalty for moving off the mark and then faced with worse cases later - he didn't give a penalty. Inconsistent.
There was one where Lockers should have been penalised in 2nd half that I can recall, can't think of any others that cam close to Hiku's, so we'll agree to disagree I suppose, because I don't plan on watching the game back! Haha.
but how Warrington were allowed to get away with being sometimes 4 yards away from the play the ball was baffling.
I think this worked both ways many times in the game. We're way more inclined to seeing the ones against us as we're fans so we're actually biased rather than just perceived to be biased like the refs are. I called many times we were offside too. I think the thing of it was they had much better line speed for much of the game, whether they stole a yard or not, they were more enthusiastic than us.
As for slowing the play the ball down - Warrington worked out what they could get away with and played it for all it was worth. I don't blame them but a decent ref would have stopped it and the game would have been better.
I don't think they were any different to us. Child tried to stop it with penalties, but he either got challenged on the correct call he made or had to make a tough call because the players were holding in, or falling down, or thowing their arms around asking for something. He tried to stop t but the players don't give him respect, they keep infringing, and if he gave every single penalty we'd get nowhere, players know that and exploit it. Something needs to be done about the players at least as much as it needs to be done about the refs in my opinion.
I suppose what summed him up was the penalty given when a Warrington player pushed a Wigan player over after a tackle and so Child compromised by giving Warrington a penalty for holding down, which certainly wasn't the case.
I agree I think he made the wrong call there, it was an error in judgement from the ref in my opinion too.

No excuse for any backchat by players though, I didn't see James Child giving them chat when they knocked on. In fact, I don't recall any player get questioned by the ref over any of the 23 handling errors in the game.[/quote]
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Southern Softy wrote: As for slowing the play the ball down - Warrington worked out what they could get away with and played it for all it was worth. I don't blame them but a decent ref would have stopped it and the game would have been better.
Not "having a go" SS But THIS
slowing the play the ball down
Wigan have had little to no urgency around the ruck for years now. Stemming from lazy marker defence to slow almost pedestrian attempts to rise and play the ball.

We beat Catalans last week YET they dominated us in the ruck, especially in the first half. Made many, many more yards and created more half breaks from dummy half runs and speedier (than Wigan's) ptbs.

IMO we beat Catalans simply because their main play-makers were missing and they tired....badly!

It was not as if any players kicked and struggled to get up after being tackled against wire. The intensity was not there. It was almost as if the game meant nothing and the players were literally on a training game

Childs is not and was never to blame for all this - look closer to home and we can see where the problem arises
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Firestarter wrote:Both sides were offside...... hes clueless....... made a lot of terrible decisions for both teams
Correct three time Clubb knocked the ball out 2 on 1 and we got a scrum. Though Wire got a pen form one at the end when Bateman went in stupidly.