Davies or Marshall?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Davies or Marshall?

Post by Firestarter »

w.thomas wrote:
Billgreenwoodss​on​ wrote: I am intrigued. Why do so many people these days write "would of" when they clearly mean "would have". It is almost as annoying as when people say that something is "very unique" or "quite unique" ---- the very word unique means the only one of its kind; unlike anything else, so it is either unique or it isnt and cannot be quite or very unique. My apologies as this is clearly nothing at all to do with my beloved Wigan Rugby team!!!!!!
Billgreenwoodss​on​ wrote:I am intrigued. Why do so many people these days write "would of" when they clearly mean "would have". It is almost as annoying as when people say that something is "very unique" or "quite unique" ---- the very word unique means the only one of its kind; unlike anything else, so it is either unique or it isnt and cannot be quite or very unique. My apologies as this is clearly nothing at all to do with my beloved Wigan Rugby team!!!!!!
Christ on a bike I thought I'd logged into an English grammar forum for a minute! Back into the important stuff, Davies for me over Marshall agree he's a better all round player but being young still makes defensive mistakes eg under the high ball like last week.
i blame gelling for this...... he never tried one bit too shield his winger...... he did the same thing with davies at catalans...... hes got the experience now so no excuses.......
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

ian.birchall wrote:
Billgreenwoodss​on​ wrote:I am intrigued. Why do so many people these days write "would of" when they clearly mean "would have". It is almost as annoying as when people say that something is "very unique" or "quite unique" ---- the very word unique means the only one of its kind; unlike anything else, so it is either unique or it isnt and cannot be quite or very unique. My apologies as this is clearly nothing at all to do with my beloved Wigan Rugby team!!!!!!
I am afraid you have opened a can of worms here. My own pet hate is 'senile old man'. That is just like saying 'old old man'????
A senile old man is somebody who's lost it, be it 65 or 90.
An old old man is somebody in his 90's who hasn't lost it.
I know good examples of both unfortunately and fortunately.
Now which are you is the big?:wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

The should of should have thing is really annoying to me also.
Given my education I had to spend a few dinner hours writing the correct grammar over and over again until the man in black garb was happy I'd grasped it!
However since the onset of 'texting' grammar is not functional to the process given the charges involved and thus comes into play in the 'real world'.
What amuses me is folk having a pop and using poor grammar and supposed educated folk showing the same on their linked in profiles.
Another laughable one is folk on social media searching for words online in dictionary.com to make themselves look intelligent instead of getting down to the nitty gritty.
Wandering Warrior

Firestarter wrote:
w.thomas wrote:
Billgreenwoodss​on​ wrote: I am intrigued. Why do so many people these days write "would of" when they clearly mean "would have". It is almost as annoying as when people say that something is "very unique" or "quite unique" ---- the very word unique means the only one of its kind; unlike anything else, so it is either unique or it isnt and cannot be quite or very unique. My apologies as this is clearly nothing at all to do with my beloved Wigan Rugby team!!!!!!
Christ on a bike I thought I'd logged into an English grammar forum for a minute! Back into the important stuff, Davies for me over Marshall agree he's a better all round player but being young still makes defensive mistakes eg under the high ball like last week.
i blame gelling for this...... he never tried one bit too shield his winger...... he did the same thing with davies at catalans...... hes got the experience now so no excuses.......
Gelling for me has been shocking this season and to be honest he only had a decent game 25% of the time last season.
He's good though, cos he comes to work on a BMX! I must have been good when I went to work on my pushbike when I was an apprentice!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Its almost impossible to look good in a side beaten in the forwards as we have for most of the season. Our attack through the coach is an issue but when our pack gets out muscled by Wire shows where the issues are.

Only prop that did anything on Thursday was Clubb and the rest of the pack bar Bateman went to hiding it felt.

We have no second game plan so we get bullied out backs struggle for space and we get beaten.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
w.thomas wrote: Christ on a bike I thought I'd logged into an English grammar forum for a minute! Back into the important stuff, Davies for me over Marshall agree he's a better all round player but being young still makes defensive mistakes eg under the high ball like last week.
Gelling for me has been shocking this season and to be honest he only had a decent game 25% of the time last season.
He's good though, cos he comes to work on a BMX! I must have been good when I went to work on my pushbike when I was an apprentice!!
yes i get what you mean about the bmx......its what he does on the field what matters too me
Wandering Warrior

Me too and it's nowhere near consistent enough. To be honest I've never been excited by him and as for centres that I've seen play for Wigan I can think of a dozen readily I'd have before him.
Just my opinion.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

A centre,imo should be fast and be strong headed..... also look after his wingman......dean bell was the classic example(one of, if not the best all round centre ive ever seen)....gels has never been anything like a decent centre..... he had a small spell where everything he touched turned too gold......i dont think any wigan fan would prefer him too carmont( another quality centre)....just think how many more tries our right sided winger would score with a quality centre........oh and before anybody says bell recommended him, i do know this....... was it as a centre though?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I also thought thornley was a much better centre
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Davies over Marshall for me. I've said previously that Marshall is suspect defensively and I agree that Davies does the hard yards better. On the grammar debate,abbreviations where not needed drive me insane. Just being lazy,which is the modern way. Was away last weekend and a woman seemed to use FYI in almost every sentence.