Tonights Game v Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Tonights Game v Leeds

Post by No straw damn us »

So this awful attack has only been bettered by Castleford this year in terms of tries scored, very strange.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

For me gelling should be a back up centre for a new signing, Forsyth isn't the answer.
I like gelling but he is missing the defensive skills and brain for a centre.
Warrior Gilfedder

Post by Warrior Gilfedder »

Gelling needs to go, it hasn't worked out, when he isn't injured he doesn't seem to be fit, he has had plenty of time to become a grade a centre ala Connoly/Renouf/Tuigamala but seems more interested in making silly twitter videos, let's cut our losses and bring someone in who can do the job correctly
jao711

Post by jao711 »

No straw damn us wrote:What is interesting is that some of the "experts" on here were watching the game on Sky.
Wigan played the game correctly. They wore Leeds down. With twenty minutes to go Leeds had used nine substitutions, Wigan had used six. When I left the ground it was only then that I realised how poor the conditions were, and think that had it been a dry night they would have racked up sixty points. What else it shows is how far our youth development is above any other team.
Absolutely,Iagree on all the points made.I would also like to put in a big rap for the much criticised Willie Isa who had his usual hard grafting game and showed some nice touches with the ball leading to two of our tries.Reminds me of Mick Cassidy i.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

jao711 wrote: I would also like to put in a big rap for the much criticised Willie Isa.
Big Rap?

Isa played well, Not stupid enough to say he did not BUT in a dead rubber to our opponents AND with them having an odd player or two out. Don't you think he should have looked a better player than what he has served up this season?

Or are you of the opinion that that was Leeds' first choice pack?

The only thing that really amazed me and NO ONE has touched on this, was how good, despite the conditions, our handling was. Less pressure on us defensively - of course. Leeds dropped and also gave plenty of penalties - of course. How those facts changed the game is hypothetical but by possession alone Leeds gave themselves no chance
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

No straw damn us wrote:What is interesting is that some of the "experts" on here were watching the game on Sky.
So do you not SKY plus things either??

Shame, you can catch many things you didn't actually see at the game :)
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Living in the South West I have Sky Sports only for Rugby League and Wigan Warriors.
I have to say, as a mostly TV only expert, that I thought last nights game a real disappointment. With a crowd of 15000+ and a SKY TV audience of thousands(?) this turned out to be a kick in the teeth for Rugby League.

1. Wigan should have beaten Leeds by at least 50 points as, it appeared on TV, that they were easily capable of doing so if they had tried. Oh,if only we had a goal kicker. In the event the Leeds youngsters received all the plaudits for just trying.

2.Sky TV, through the RL, should insist on Doctors Certificates for missing players when events like this happen again and, if possible,they should retain any TV payment if they believe they are being short changed. They do not have first bite at the Challenge Cup TV rights and must be feeling a bit peeved after last night.
Sadly, we have had some really poor games on TV this year, and, as stated in these postings this is partly down to the stupid top 8 system, where clubs can sadly manipulate the system.

3.Rugby League relies on Sky Sports. We need to be very careful what we offer up, as we are no doubt compared with the other code when looking at viewing figures.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

superleague wrote:It was still poor, the boring predictable attack still present that will trouble non of the teams above us (when playing their first teams)
The defense only looked good as it was men vs boys, anyone who thinks where going to win any silverware needs to give their heads a wobble as your seriously deluding yourself
Problem is out attack 40 out is far better than 4 from the line. We could not break kids down by setting a planned move on the line. Damaged we mainly caused 30-40 out and led to tries more often.

Tbh next week we 4 from the line take a drop goal cause we aint scoring tries if we struggled to do so to kids.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Southern Softy wrote:
Our left side - Burgess, Gildart, Williams and Farrell when back is about the best in the competition but the right side still looks wobbly. Compare Gildart's brilliant run from outside to inside when backing up George's break to the static nature of everyone when Sam took off on lateral runs to the right. No dummy runners, no breaking away - just stand and wait to see what happens and the move breaks down.
You didn't learn anything, SS, because you know in advance who you're going to criticise. When Sam scored his try (one of his lateral runs to the right), he wouldn't have got over the line without Davies and Gells running in and committing the Leeds defenders. Jon Wells also pointed out that Lockers' run to the left distracted Ablett from covering across.
Still think Sutton has gone backwards this season. As for FPN 'The Wrecking Ball' - what does that make Tony Clubb after his fabulous demolition of the horrible Jones-Buchanan last night? Hit of the season for me.
Sutton made 25 tackles and 139 metres.
JJB is a decent bloke and a fair player, not to be confused with the "horrible" Ferres or McGuire.

FWIW I thought our performance last night was solid if unspectacular, probably what any decent coach would ask for in the circumstances. I also thought Leeds showed great commitment in defence despite looking clueless in attack.

I wonder if the Southern refers to the Southern constellation? The planet you're on may be there, I'd guess?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

A very good try it was but Sam had to score it himself with the kick ahead. All the other lateral runs came to nothing.
Didn't say Sutton was bad - just that he hasn't played anywhere as well as he did last year and needs to get that form back.
As for JJB - he may be a charmer off the field but he's unpleasant on the field with his repertoire of niggles. Nice to see him have a paw at SOL and then position himself with every other player between the two of them as quickly as he could.
He was also instrumental in that curious Leeds tackling style where they perpetually tried to pull players' shorts down in the tackle. Weird!