Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Gelling

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I am not Gelling's biggest fan but I thought he played well yesterday.
he does a job and makes good yards but its as a centre that im rating him........ If all SW wants is threequarters to make big yards then he should sign the biggest wingers/centres available
He's certainly not a class centre but I am not certain that we need one given our style of play.
thats fair comment..... we need another 7 before our left to too right attack improves....... sam used too link there all the time when green played for us...... i think green left s big hole when he left( class act)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
markill

Post by markill »

For his clear imperfections, I still like Gelling. And really, has he done that many stupid things this year? He's made a lot of ground and worked really hard as well as having something about him that is entertaining. Sure, I'd prefer that he learned not to shoot out of the line too but I reckon we could do a lot worse and I can't think of many right centres that are a lot better about these days.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

The pass he made for the first disallowed try was absolutely brilliant. He made a lot of good yards, and a lot of solid defence.

Once he flew out of the line, and fortunately they didn't punish us. He also threw a forward pass near the line, and that was unfortunate.

The sin-binning incident was an interesting one. As has been said, if it hadn't happened, they may well have gone on to score from the quick tap. Instead, they were delayed, they knocked on, and the danger was over. Was it a clever play by Gelling - not really, it was an instinctive thing.

Overall, he helped us win the game on Sunday. Both our centres out-performed Salford's.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:For his clear imperfections, I still like Gelling. And really, has he done that many stupid things this year?
Yes, plenty of times. Cost us tries as well (Saints and Wire if I recall correctly in close games). He leaves his winger in no mans land in defense quite often. His favourite is shooting out of the line in defense but watch him close to the line when attacking. He's quite likely to try a pointless kick or do something completely idiotic. Someone earlier said selfish. I don't think it's that, I just feel he doesn't have a clue of what is going on around him and so thinks he must do something single handed.

He's always done this sort of thing and is still doing it.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

That was never a sin bin offence to me, and had it been any Salford player doing the same nothing would have happened.
Gelling put in a great stint in this game, is starting to look like a right handful to stop again.
His set up for Davies was class and sheer skill, it's just a pity that toms boot glanced the side lines or it would have been a class try against a world class winger marking him.
I say that gelling continuing like this will quieten the usual Gelling moaners on here, irrespective of his BMX.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Gelling was very silly to have fallen for that and deserved ten minutes. However, there are some harsh words for the fellow on this thread. He many not be breaking the pots he broke last season, and he has had a mediocre game here and there this season, but when on-song, he's been brilliant. It has to be pointed out also, that he appears not to be "wired-up reet", I've heard it said, so allowances have to be made, don't they?
Why? If you are suggesting he is always likely to do something daft I would disagree.

All he has to do is be a team player and have the brains to know when it's time to take on the opposition single handed and when it is time to play as part of the team. He's done nothing since the day he started to convince me he can do this.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Firestarter wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I am not Gelling's biggest fan but I thought he played well yesterday.
he does a job and makes good yards but its as a centre that im rating him........ If all SW wants is threequarters to make big yards then he should sign the biggest wingers/centres available
Like Hull and their parade of South Sea Islanders?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Fawdoffshed wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:Gelling was very silly to have fallen for that and deserved ten minutes. However, there are some harsh words for the fellow on this thread. He many not be breaking the pots he broke last season, and he has had a mediocre game here and there this season, but when on-song, he's been brilliant. It has to be pointed out also, that he appears not to be "wired-up reet", I've heard it said, so allowances have to be made, don't they?
Why? If you are suggesting he is always likely to do something daft I would disagree.

All he has to do is be a team player and have the brains to know when it's time to take on the opposition single handed and when it is time to play as part of the team. He's done nothing since the day he started to convince me he can do this.
Even my window cleaner (who is a qualified rugby league coach) agrees with me. So, yes, he is ALWAYS likely to do something daft.

Have you ever seen him run past your house with a huge rucksack full of bricks?

No?

Well I have. :D
A window cleaner and a bag of bricks eh well case closed.

Fact of the matter is he is a liability, the fault here lies with Wane because he should of addressed the brain farts. That's the whole point of project players, a coach is supposed to give them the tools to know when to play and when not too play.

Gelling is only slightly less raw than when he first came, there is no doubt about it if someone could get rid of the liability aspect of his game he would be up there with the best, not just in this country either.

I think at heart Gelling is a 2nd row, people make a lot of the meters he makes, that's not really a centers primary role its a forwards. Again though i really think Wane has a complete blind spot to the centre position don't know why but he just thinks he can stick anyone there and it will work. He played Hughes there despite him showing no real reason to be there expect the yardage argument.

Sarginson, while some rated him, i didnt - had no smarts IMO he very very rarely played for his wingman he had a brief stint for England when he looked like he learned how to play, then came back to us and reverted to type. He was far better at FB using his running game in a broken field.

Centres just dont seem to develop at all for us, and it seems a position thats constantly an oversight.

Although apparently i was told on another thread i know nothing because we once thought about signing a good one
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Possible Gelling Senario: His services won't be retained and he signs for another club.

He comes back to haunt us.

There's no pleasing some folk. :cool:
Could be said of a lot of players though a lot of superleague teams contain very good ex Wigan players

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:Possible Gelling Senario: His services won't be retained and he signs for another club.

He comes back to haunt us.

There's no pleasing some folk. :cool:
Could be said of a lot of players though a lot of superleague teams contain very good ex Wigan players
Sean Long springs readily to mind but do we want somebody in our side with baggage in his case?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield