Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Gelling

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:
DaveO wrote: Why? If you are suggesting he is always likely to do something daft I would disagree.

All he has to do is be a team player and have the brains to know when it's time to take on the opposition single handed and when it is time to play as part of the team. He's done nothing since the day he started to convince me he can do this.
Even my window cleaner (who is a qualified rugby league coach) agrees with me. So, yes, he is ALWAYS likely to do something daft.

Have you ever seen him run past your house with a huge rucksack full of bricks?

No?

Well I have. :D
A window cleaner and a bag of bricks eh well case closed.

Fact of the matter is he is a liability, the fault here lies with Wane because he should of addressed the brain farts. That's the whole point of project players, a coach is supposed to give them the tools to know when to play and when not too play.

Gelling is only slightly less raw than when he first came, there is no doubt about it if someone could get rid of the liability aspect of his game he would be up there with the best, not just in this country either.

I think at heart Gelling is a 2nd row, people make a lot of the meters he makes, that's not really a centers primary role its a forwards. Again though i really think Wane has a complete blind spot to the centre position don't know why but he just thinks he can stick anyone there and it will work. He played Hughes there despite him showing no real reason to be there expect the yardage argument.

Sarginson, while some rated him, i didnt - had no smarts IMO he very very rarely played for his wingman he had a brief stint for England when he looked like he learned how to play, then came back to us and reverted to type. He was far better at FB using his running game in a broken field.

Centres just dont seem to develop at all for us, and it seems a position thats constantly an oversight.

Although apparently i was told on another thread i know nothing because we once thought about signing a good one
No it's because you wrote "Shaun Wane has shown he doesnt give a shiny one about us having a decent centre, or a goal kicker - two things we are desperately in need of. The attempt to sign Croker was last year!!
Warrior Gilfedder

Post by Warrior Gilfedder »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Possible Gelling Senario: His services won't be retained and he signs for another club.

He comes back to haunt us.

There's no pleasing some folk. :cool:
shit happens.

Possible Gelling Senario #2 he goes to another club, doesn't come baxk to haunt us and we sign Jarrod Croker as his replacement
Warrior Gilfedder

Fawdoffshed wrote:
Warrior Gilfedder wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:Possible Gelling Senario: His services won't be retained and he signs for another club.

shit happens.

Possible Gelling Senario #2 he goes to another club, doesn't come baxk to haunt us and we sign Jarrod Croker as his replacement
Do you seriously think that Mr. Lenagan will put his hand that deep into his pocket?

In my humble opinion Gelling, when fit, is a fine player and last season he had a belter.

I think some of the views about him on this thread are not deserved. But that's just me and I fully accept that I may not be seeing him in the same light. However, that flash of brilliance and genius early on in the game was worth the admission, even though it didn't result in a try. An inch, maybe? :D

Just an aside: I wish someone like your namesake was at Wigan. Boy, he COULD kick a ball. No kicking T's either! :D
FACT, did you not know we nearly signed him for this season
No straw damn us

Fawdoffshed wrote:
Warrior Gilfedder wrote:

shit happens.

Do you seriously think that Mr. Lenagan will put his hand that deep into his pocket?

In my humble opinion Gelling, when fit, is a fine player and last season he had a belter.

I think some of the views about him on this thread are not deserved. But that's just me and I fully accept that I may not be seeing him in the same light. However, that flash of brilliance and genius early on in the game was worth the admission, even though it didn't result in a try. An inch, maybe? :D

Just an aside: I wish someone like your namesake was at Wigan. Boy, he COULD kick a ball. No kicking T's either! :D
Well he has done for the last ten years. I suggest you download the clubs accounts for his tenure at Wigan. They are easily accessible here.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

I think with Gelling the positives out weigh the negatives, although at the time on Sunday I thought it was a stupid move but in hindsight Salford would have got a very quick play of the ball and and a very good chance of a try whether it was quick thinking or pure dumb luck it gave us time to sort our defence all be it with 12 men for the last 10 minutes .As an attacking threat to me Gelling has the xfactor not many centres in the game have and also he brings attention to our sport that is seriously lacking I have seen so many comments from fans of other teams who hate us but love Gelling because he brings something different on and off the pitch.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

In the archive game against Leeds on Wigan TV, Shaun Edwards did pretty much the same thing!

And got a sin-binning for his trouble.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have not read the whole thread but I really enjoy watching Gelling play. He does the really hard yards, and puts his hand up. On another day our 2 try burst at the start of Sunday would have been a 4 try burst through his brilliance. At Wembley his speed and athleticism will come into its own. I don't think he should have been sin binned on Sunday - completely innocuous.
No straw damn us

Fawdoffshed wrote:No Straw. The sentence you highlighted was in response to several posts suggesting that a kicker be bought in, along with perhaps another world cIass centre. I wish to clarify that I applaud Mr. Lenagan's financial input over the years. However, he doesn't, along with the coach, presently look too enthusiastic at spending any more money soon. Hope that clears things up for you. :D
Haven't they just secured the signing of George Williams at a huge cost to the club?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:Gelling was very silly to have fallen for that and deserved ten minutes. However, there are some harsh words for the fellow on this thread. He many not be breaking the pots he broke last season, and he has had a mediocre game here and there this season, but when on-song, he's been brilliant. It has to be pointed out also, that he appears not to be "wired-up reet", I've heard it said, so allowances have to be made, don't they?
Why? If you are suggesting he is always likely to do something daft I would disagree.

All he has to do is be a team player and have the brains to know when it's time to take on the opposition single handed and when it is time to play as part of the team. He's done nothing since the day he started to convince me he can do this.
And team play with brains doesn't include passes for wingers to score tries.
The attempt where Tom Davies glanced the touchline before grounding the ball was class ball supply from Gelling who held off two very strong players to distribute that ball.
Warrior Gilfedder

He's proper bolloxing it up tonight like