With Regret

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
josie andrews

With Regret

Post by josie andrews »

The Wigan Club are saddened to hear of the death of former player and Great Britain captain Chris Hesketh MBE.

Born in Wigan, Chris made his debut for the Cherry and Whites against Leigh in 1963 and played 85 games for the club scoring 28 tries.

A talented utility-back, Chris played at stand-off, wing and centre during a four-season spell with the Club.

Chris left Wigan ahead of the 1967-68 season to join Salford where he played over 450 games. His finest moment came in 1974 when he captained Great Britain, the first Wigan-born player to do so.

The Club offers its deepest condolences to Chris’ family and friends at this time.

There will be a tribute to Chris at tonight’s game.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... AWWpRYI.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Re: With Regret

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Played centre with Ashton on my Central Park debut. Great player, at the age I was I couldn't understand why they ever let him go? He did go onto better things when he left for Solly.
RIP
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Great player and I always thought a mistake in us letting him go.
Sad news, RIP.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Gave me some great advise when I was a young whippersnapper, which of course I ignored.

A great player and gentleman.

R.I.P.
mickh

Post by mickh »

As has been said previously, could not understand Wigan letting him go, at such a young age as well! I was just a schoolboy way back then and I could see that he was an exciting elusive crowd pleaser who could win us matches.

If I remember rightly, Chris was the Tour Captain when Great Britain toured Australasia later on. (And he was surplus to our requirements?)

Wigan have let a few go over the years, Eddie Cunningham, Ian Wright,
to name a couple who came back to haunt us later.

RIP Chris