Tonight v Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: Tonight v Salford

Post by butt monkey »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Gelling played it tough taking up the first drive coming out of own 10 or 20 mtr areas.
That is what ALL our backs do :eusa4:

Gelling did nothing more or made any "extra" yards than any of the other threequarters when asked to drive it out our half
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
doc

Post by doc »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Gelling played it tough taking up the first drive coming out of own 10 or 20 mtr areas. When the stats come out he won't be far off most meters made and they were hard meters too.
A lot of players who've been out of form played well and had to.
Gelling adds too much in terms of hard work for anyone to think of replacing him.
An all round good performance. We can all find fault but overall it was pleasing to watch with plenty quality rugby played.
Gells made 212 metres, far and away the best figures by any of our players. When he was out injured earlier in the season we could barely get out of our own half.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

doc wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:Gelling played it tough taking up the first drive coming out of own 10 or 20 mtr areas. When the stats come out he won't be far off most meters made and they were hard meters too.
Gelling adds too much in terms of hard work for anyone to think of replacing him.
An all round good performance. We can all find fault but overall it was pleasing to watch with plenty quality rugby played.
Gells made 212 metres, far and away the best figures by any of our players. When he was out injured earlier in the season we could barely get out of our own half.

There are three kinds of lies, Lies, Damned Lies and statistics. I sat and watched Gelling, Was not in the pub prior, did not listen at home and was not crack full of drugs

I suppose the exact information "claimed" Salford won the penalty count also? :roll:

Exactly the reason I ignore every so called statistic bar the only
important one which is the scoreboard. Utter rubbish!!!!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It was nice after this season just to twonk someone,anyone even someone as poor as Salford were,take nothing away theyve had a good season but if they where a boxer the towel would be thrown in by now.

Tomkins man of the match for me,by a mile,chatting away organising and just generaly good play next season is mouthwatering going by the play so far from him.

Clubby and FPN a match made in heaven,big frank looked like a proper prop with Clubby at the start he had a grand game and FPN much better than he has been/

Bateman quiet again for me,Gelling ok,Gildart looking good after fat boy Ferres's nonsense,Budgie he still doesnt look right to me he seems to have lost that pace from a couple of years ago,maybe just me.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Gellings best games all come against poor sides and it is not a coincidence. When we play a good side and are under pressure his lack of class and poor play stands out a mile and it costs us. Defensive lapses against a side you are in the process of sticking 40 odd points onto don't matter. They do when you are in a tight game and he is far more likely to panic and shoot out of the line than any other player in the team. He's just not good enough.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

'Shooting out of the line' per se isn't a bad thing. It's only a bad thing if you miss the tackle. Sometimes it's the right call, and Gelling (although he's not the only one, of course) does shut a lot of plays down that way. There are some situations where, if the defender doesn't shoot out of the line, the attack will easily score anyway.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
Gellings best games all come against poor sides and it is not a coincidence. When we play a good side and are under pressure his lack of class and poor play stands out a mile and it costs us. Defensive lapses against a side you are in the process of sticking 40 odd points onto don't matter. They do when you are in a tight game and he is far more likely to panic and shoot out of the line than any other player in the team. He's just not good enough.
Can you evidence this with examples of poor games against good sides? From my memory in big games against the best teams he always plays well, including playoffs, Grand finals and CC finals!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Can you evidence this with examples of poor games against good sides? From my memory in big games against the best teams he always plays well, including playoffs, Grand finals and CC finals!
I can point to games this season where he has done it and it cost us against better teams. Saints away is a definite. He was all over the place v Leeds. Will that do? There are others (Hull is another) and I am sure if you read back through the forum you will find several more mentions of Gellings brain farts against the better sides. It's not a new concept and in my opinion these mistakes happen most when we are in tight games and he decides to take on the world himself. He's the only player in the side that worries me he will make a really stupid play.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote: Gellings best games all come against poor sides and it is not a coincidence. When we play a good side and are under pressure his lack of class and poor play stands out a mile and it costs us. Defensive lapses against a side you are in the process of sticking 40 odd points onto don't matter. They do when you are in a tight game and he is far more likely to panic and shoot out of the line than any other player in the team. He's just not good enough.
I can point to games this season where he has done it and it cost us against better teams. Saints away is a definite. He was all over the place v Leeds. Will that do? There are others (Hull is another) and I am sure if you read back through the forum you will find several more mentions of Gellings brain farts against the better sides. It's not a new concept and in my opinion these mistakes happen most when we are in tight games and he decides to take on the world himself. He's the only player in the side that worries me he will make a really stupid play.
So he has made mistakes in 3 matches according to you? Who hasn't? I think you are making a massive generalisation about him without any real evidence, also making it out like he is the only one with brainfarts, he simply is not!

When has he cost us in a playoff game, CC semi or final or Grand final?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett