Wembley in May?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ian.birchall

Wembley in May?

Post by ian.birchall »

One good reason to scrap the practice of the annual beanfeast in May at Newcastle/Cardiff/Edinburgh/Wherevever is that the free weekend in May could be used for the Challenge Cup Final and then there might be a chance of trains down from the Northwest to Euston.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Wembley in May?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

That's one idea which sounds ok.

Mine would be to have the C Cup Final the last weekend in June.
The semi finals the first weekend in June.
Quarter finals first weekend in May.
Last 16 the first weekend in April. (Movement maybe needed for Easter)

That way we would all know that each year that the rounds, semis and final would all be on the same weekends.
The C Cup is a pay again for us season ticket holders who clubs always remind us are the financial backbone of all clubs. Therefore as most people are paid in the last week of the month, play the C Cup games the first weekend when we have money in our accounts, wallets and purses.

As has been mentioned Network Rail shut the line from the North West to London each August Bank Holiday so June would not be affected. Also most schools would not have broken up for summer holidays then.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Ok with me
doc

Post by doc »

Both may Bank Hols are now out of the reckoning due to football; FA Cup Final and play off finals.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Trains were never brilliant on May bank holidays either.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Trains were never brilliant on May bank holidays either.
They not that good at the best of times up our way
OJ

Post by OJ »

There are a number of reasons that the Challenge cup was better in May for me - not such a full on holiday time so economically better for a lot of fans and as you guys have pointed out travel maybe easier but for me the most important part is player welfare. Is it really fair that the successful teams whoever, they may be, are having to perform at their best level at such a crucial part of the season while the other 11 all have a week off to have a rest/get injuries sorted or given time to heal. It's grossly unfair but typical of the RFL who seem to think Duty of Care is a film starring Mel Gibson
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

A greater number of neutrals use to attend in May, as did Wigan fans!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Something has to give as to keep,year on year seeing Wembley with acres of empty seats is damaging to the sport in my eyes,move the day by all means if that fails its time to bid a fond farewell to Wembley..and before we get onto the "tradition" arguement that ended when the bulldozers moved into the old place all those years ago.

The sport has to stop shooting itself in the foot and i think as Draper gets a tighter hold on the RFL this will happen but either way something needs to help the grand old girl out becuase its seemingly of little interest nowadays.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

medlocke wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Trains were never brilliant on May bank holidays either.
They not that good at the best of times up our way
West Coast going down on Friday, but returned Virgin East coat from kings cross to Leeds then Leeds to Carlisle on Sunday.
1st train departed kings cross at 11:03 and we arrived in Carlisle at near enough 17:00.
In the nineties i can always remember CC matches in first week of may and travelling to Milton Keynes for onward journies to get home and smetimes connection by bus.
Poor service really.