BBC and Wembley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nellywelly

Re: BBC and Wembley

Post by nellywelly »

Billgreenwoodss​on​ wrote:Did anyone else notice the issues at Wembley and with the BBC which were very annoying on the day.
1. Our coach made splendid time, leaving Bryn at 7.30am and within a mile of Wembley by 12 noon. We left the coach at 1.10pm and I understand that a big Wembley coach park is being covered in hundreds of homes, businesses etc. So within 10 years of opening our national stadium is being sold off??
2. We were all asked to stand for Abide With Me and we did. However he poor young singer looked totally lost as someone forgot to switch the music on. The fans tried to mask this by chanting loudly and this in turn drowned out the music when it finally began. Piss ups and breweries???
3. That irritating nerd Robbie Paul took a pointless trip to the Hull dressing rooms to tell us about their medical stocks and then did the same in the Wigan rooms but unfortunately his sound was not working. The BBC lead commentator thought this was highly amusing. I though it was embarrasing unprofessional.
4. Of course we then have to have the spectacle of the nerd (again) invading the pitch during warm up and during the match!!!! Am I wrong or is it not an arrestable offence to invade a sports pitch?
5. We then have the two "experts" going through each of the teams against a background showing the teams --- but unfortunately the wrong captions came up. Again the BBC reaction was -- isn't this hilarious and lets all have a laugh about it. After all its not important it is only Rugby League and its only the Cup Final!!!!
6. I may be wrong but I got the distinct impression that the BBC had far less cameras on duty than is normally the case with Sky and maybe that was one reason why the Clubb try was disallowed? To their credit, the commentators generally said that the video ref "got it wrong" but at no point did anybody attempt to find out why and how they got it wrong and, to my knowledge, that question has never been asked or answered.

Regretably I think it is getting towards the time when we should play the final elsewhere and maybe ask Sky to cover it (if they can find any decent commentators to replace especially knowledgeless Hemmings) and finally I think we ditch the video ref or at the very least scrap this stupid idea of the pitch refs view is try or no try. If he has a view wether try or not he should not be sending it to the videa ref in the pigging first place!!!

EEEEE isnt a rant int morning good for you!!!!!
You are bang on about bbc they are taking the mickey out our sport time we sacked them.
The difference in the way they report on rugby union and us is obvious they treat us as a laughing stock and love us to look like a bunch of idiots like you said the presenters are rubbish with Robbie Paul a complete dick.
Please beg SKY to present it and kick BBC into the ditch before they completely destroy our wonderful sport
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nellywelly wrote:
Billgreenwoodss​on​ wrote:Did anyone else notice the issues at Wembley and with the BBC which were very annoying on the day.
1. Our coach made splendid time, leaving Bryn at 7.30am and within a mile of Wembley by 12 noon. We left the coach at 1.10pm and I understand that a big Wembley coach park is being covered in hundreds of homes, businesses etc. So within 10 years of opening our national stadium is being sold off??
2. We were all asked to stand for Abide With Me and we did. However he poor young singer looked totally lost as someone forgot to switch the music on. The fans tried to mask this by chanting loudly and this in turn drowned out the music when it finally began. Piss ups and breweries???
3. That irritating nerd Robbie Paul took a pointless trip to the Hull dressing rooms to tell us about their medical stocks and then did the same in the Wigan rooms but unfortunately his sound was not working. The BBC lead commentator thought this was highly amusing. I though it was embarrasing unprofessional.
4. Of course we then have to have the spectacle of the nerd (again) invading the pitch during warm up and during the match!!!! Am I wrong or is it not an arrestable offence to invade a sports pitch?
5. We then have the two "experts" going through each of the teams against a background showing the teams --- but unfortunately the wrong captions came up. Again the BBC reaction was -- isn't this hilarious and lets all have a laugh about it. After all its not important it is only Rugby League and its only the Cup Final!!!!
6. I may be wrong but I got the distinct impression that the BBC had far less cameras on duty than is normally the case with Sky and maybe that was one reason why the Clubb try was disallowed? To their credit, the commentators generally said that the video ref "got it wrong" but at no point did anybody attempt to find out why and how they got it wrong and, to my knowledge, that question has never been asked or answered.

Regretably I think it is getting towards the time when we should play the final elsewhere and maybe ask Sky to cover it (if they can find any decent commentators to replace especially knowledgeless Hemmings) and finally I think we ditch the video ref or at the very least scrap this stupid idea of the pitch refs view is try or no try. If he has a view wether try or not he should not be sending it to the videa ref in the pigging first place!!!

EEEEE isnt a rant int morning good for you!!!!!

Please beg SKY to present it and kick BBC into the ditch before they completely destroy our wonderful sport

really - SKY are already killing off the game week in week out. whilst the BBC arent the greatest selling out completely to SKY is not the answer

why arent we speaking to ITV - the coverage of motor racing / cycling etc that i watch on ITV are fantastic. surely the would do a better job and could focus on a regional basis also?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

BriH wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:It is time to face facts,Wembley is far too big a stadium for our sport joe,to so many empty seats was embarrassing for the sport.
Never thought I would agree with moving from Wembley but I do now.

In my day the Challenge Cup was the no 1 trophy behind the top 4 playoffs.
Now we have the Grand Final + Magic Weekend. So the Challenge Cup has been relegated to 3rd. Economics suggest that punters from the North will travel to the Grand Final, maybe Magic leaving Wembley a definite luxory.
I think I'm right that Spurs play there now?
Either way, if the RL want to preserve our heritage, they have to evaluate the Challenge Cup and raise it's profile urgently.

If it moves North where would it be played? Old Trafford already has the Grand Final.
I think Roger Draper as he asserts himself more will push for a move,he's savvy enough to realise thats something very wrong at Wembley,the interest simply isnt there,i suspect they will try a different date then change the venue hopefully to Cardiff,far enough to give people "a day out" not barn like as Wembley is.

As you say the Grand Final is the premier event along with the Magic the neutral goes too,its just far to expensive now to go if your team isnt there.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Just spare me from that droning voice of Jonathan Davies.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

cow yeds wrote:Just spare me from that droning voice of Jonathan Davies.
You could cut glass with couldn't you
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I returned home to find out my wife had watched it on TV and said they had someone really good looking in the studio for a change and that he was at next to Noble.

Noooooooooooooo !!!!!

and she said he seemed like the only on sticking up for Wigan.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Ahh Jon Wilkin,the thinking woman's bit of stuff.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

On Jonathan Davies, I hate the way he says "Just watch!", like a peevish schoolteacher to an inattentive class!
jao711

Post by jao711 »

I think we would lose a lot of wives and children who turn out for the trip to Wembley.Also remember that this years attendance was a genuine figure,no Club Wembley empty seats included in the total.
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Looking round the ground just before kick off at the empty seats I seriously doubt there were 68000 in the ground. 60000 at a push maybe.