Our Front Row

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bill.inger

Re: Our Front Row

Post by bill.inger »

Taylor used Wigan as a convenient way to get from Hull KR to Hull FC without the usual trouble the fans created when a player moved across the city, (before HKR got relegated).
Hull fans were telling us at Wembley that year (2013) that he'd be with them before his Wigan contract was up.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

As far as I remember it was his girlfriend pushing to return to Hull, could of just been an excuse but that's how I remember it.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

When the punters vote with their feet and the crowds keep dropping IL will react and change things, lets hope he doesn't leave it too late to get them back. If Lockers retires then our pack is really in trouble.mmmmmm
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You're right there d. The fact that Wane wants Lockers to go round again suggests it's beyond him how to sort out the LF position.
Hooefully it won't be Waney's problem?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

Wandering Warrior wrote:You're right there d. The fact that Wane wants Lockers to go round again suggests it's beyond him how to sort out the LF position.
I agree totally with you Lockers has been brilliant for us over the years but he is now at the end of the road. Our pack needs a complete overhaul and Wane is not the coach to do it, we keep doing the same boring plays which get us nowhere. Hull had us well read and we're hardly ever put under any pressure. The backs were forced to play quick tap through passes which all went forward because they new what we were going to do with the ball before we did it. No variation in our play and little skill I felt sorry for some of our players who played there heart out in our defensive duties and thus had nothing in the tank for when we attacked there line.
jobo

Post by jobo »

nellywelly wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:You're right there d. The fact that Wane wants Lockers to go round again suggests it's beyond him how to sort out the LF position.
I agree totally with you Lockers has been brilliant for us over the years but he is now at the end of the road. Our pack needs a complete overhaul and Wane is not the coach to do it, we keep doing the same boring plays which get us nowhere. Hull had us well read and we're hardly ever put under any pressure. The backs were forced to play quick tap through passes which all went forward because they new what we were going to do with the ball before we did it. No variation in our play and little skill I felt sorry for some of our players who played there heart out in our defensive duties and thus had nothing in the tank for when we attacked there line.
Three trys each suggest otherwise.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

jobo wrote:
nellywelly wrote:
Three trys each suggest otherwise.
i think the problem despite us scoring the 3 tries was that we tend to play well when our forwards get involved and give us go forward. Something change back end of last season v Wire away - from that point i didnt see anyone beating us to the GF and that was on the back of our pack laying a good platform

we seem to have reverted back from our forwards doing the forwards job ala end of last season. they should be taking it in for 80 minutes with the odd back taking the ball out from our 20, we see 5 drives regularly without a forward touching it, which not only leads to wings and centres out of position, but i also believe contributes to burn out / injuries etc. we regularly have backs making more drives / yards than the front row

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

As we are discussing front row forwards I read that McIllorum missed 7 tackles. And that was in the limited minutes he was in the field. Plus virtually no running from dummy half. If people are looking for reasons why we struggle I would start with the position we find ourselves in at 9.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:As we are discussing front row forwards I read that McIllorum missed 7 tackles. And that was in the limited minutes he was in the field. Plus virtually no running from dummy half. If people are looking for reasons why we struggle I would start with the position we find ourselves in at 9.
what it doesn't tell you is alteast 4 of those missed tackles made the person target panic pass and kill that play. MM hit hard and fast in the game. and he does more dummy running than powell.

we will struggle without MM
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Well, you might think that SOL is past it (I don't) but it seems clear that we are a better, more creative team when he is on the field.
As for the front row - all season FPN has wound up on the wrong side of the tackle and is out of the game when the next PTB takes place, leaving a big hole down the middle. If Powell is on, the same tends to happen.
I'd quite like a coach who sees things that supporters don't see, not one who seems to miss fairly obvious stuff like the above.
As for personnel - if we need an impact short-time on the pitch prop, I'd take Clubb ahead of FPN and although Tautai looks fabulous and all action, I'm never quite sure how much he actually achieves.