Judge me at the end of Season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Judge me at the end of Season

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote:I've watched a few NRL games lately played in the most atrocious conditions,torrential rain, waterlogged pitches, in Canberra and Perth (where it always seems to rain), and it always makes me smile, I think back to February, and you'd think every NRL game was played in glorious sunshine to hear Aussie coaches talk! :)
Perth are back in the NRL?
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote:
moto748 wrote:I've watched a few NRL games lately played in the most atrocious conditions,torrential rain, waterlogged pitches, in Canberra and Perth (where it always seems to rain), and it always makes me smile, I think back to February, and you'd think every NRL game was played in glorious sunshine to hear Aussie coaches talk! :)
Perth are back in the NRL?
no but they play games there from time to time
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

pedro wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Wiganer123 wrote:Can you please tell me why you think that the WCC is a non event and doesn't mean anything please?
Are you saying that full time professionals aren't bothered about playing or winning this competition?
I can

1) The game is played the following season, quite often the teams that come over are not the same teams that played in the GF sometimes can be significantly weaker

2) The game is played in the Aussies pre-season, they havent played a single competitive game before this game so they virtually have little to no prep other than preseason warm up games which as we know from our preseason are virtually useless

3) The game is HEAVILY loaded in the favor of the uk team. Not only do we already have a few competitive games under our belt we also play the game in our climate which at that time of year is pretty alien to most Aussie teams, and the Aussies have flown half way around the world to play in it.

Bellamy said once that some of the NRL clubs dont take the game too seriously

https://stevemascord.com/2013/02/27/bel ... seriously/

Add to this last year when the NRL struggled to get intrest in teams coming over despite an agreement that 3 would this is a telling quote from the melbourne chief exec who refused to come over;
“We do have some serious concerns about travelling across to the other side of the world two weeks out from our season starting for what is effectively a trial match,’’ Donaghy said.
or Peter Parr from the Cowboys
I would have to speak to the coach (Paul Green) — and I can’t speak for him — but I would suggest we’d be reluctant. It’s a long way to go for a game that doesn’t mean anything,” Parr said.
article;
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... b7374c8d03

now admittedly these were the clubs that werent up for the "main prize" but if it was such as scalp to come over and beat a Superleague team then surely the interest would be far higher?. The main team will always have to say good things because they are probably contracted to do so as part of the arrangements, but this gives you an insight into how inconvenient this game is for the NRL clubs

While i dont believe that they come over here to lose, i dont think any of the NRL teams care too much if they do as there is a vastly loaded advantage to the SuperLeague clubs.

Its a one off match any team can have 1 bad match and youre more likely to not play well especially at the end of a match if its youre jet lagged and undercooked.

To be honest i actually think that Rugby League is missing a trick with the WCC and that its an untapped resource for what could be an exciting comp. The international game is dire but i think everyone would love to see maybe a midseason break in which the 3 best uk go against the 3 best in oz maybe 3 matches here and 3 in oz or If it were to go to a 3 match test then maybe it would carry a little more substance but as it is its just an exhibition match with a trophy IMO no different as i say from the Charity Shield in football.
we have played 1 game and they have more than double our cap....hardly massively in our favor, so next year if its in Aus will it mean something then?

Bellamy talks garbage like all the Aussies, when they win its all fine when they lose they dont care.
Sorry but he talks a lot of sense I have always thought it heavily biased in our favour.
Scrap the international games in October and have the top three from Australia play our top three.Change the venue each year then the winning team can say they are world champs but be prepared for the Ausies to dominate it
pedro

Post by pedro »

how is it masively in our favour? They have over double our cap, we have played 1 game....

Bellamy sent a full team in 2013 so cant think its a joke...typical aussie sour grapes
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Well, Wane moved the dial in his favour tonight. Great performance. Improve the still obvious weak points and we can end this season in style,