Wembley and St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Longstanding

Wembley and St Helens

Post by Longstanding »

Despite losing I enjoyed the game.
Hull's attack was great, our defence
was great, they had Sneyd and he made the
difference.
We looked good against St Helens
but our attack on the R.H.S is
clueless. After the last two games
I'm feeling more optimistic about
the future, our team is very fit
and full of fighting spirit and
Sean Wane gets the credit for that.
When we get Tomkins at half-back
and Escare at full-back we'll be
O.K. So finally I've come to the
the conclusion that Wane's not
the problem, we need a better
scrum-half and N.o 9 to improve
our attack.
I'm ready to be shot down on this
but it's what I think.

Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wembley and St Helens

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree with pretty much all of that, so no shots from me. I think our right hand side has its moments fwiw, but a combination of a less than inspired 7, and a s cond row who only has one angle of running and it isn't outward, are hard to fix. Last night when Sam took over there it gave Gelling his try. Gelling and Marshall can be dangerous with space and time.
My own bugbear is the hopeless conditioning, as far prevention of and recovery from injuries is concerned.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Longstanding wrote:Despite losing I enjoyed the game.
Hull's attack was great, our defence
was great, they had Sneyd and he made the
difference.
We looked good against St Helens
but our attack on the R.H.S is
clueless. After the last two games
I'm feeling more optimistic about
the future, our team is very fit
and full of fighting spirit and
Sean Wane gets the credit for that.
When we get Tomkins at half-back
and Escare at full-back we'll be
O.K. So finally I've come to the
the conclusion that Wane's not
the problem, we need a better
scrum-half and N.o 9 to improve
our attack.
I'm ready to be shot down on this
but it's what I think.
In regard to fitness its widely regarded that any success in this area is down to bitcon who is known as one of the best in the business hence why he was drafted into the England set up.

You say we need a better scrum half but it was presumably Wanes choice to bring back Tommy as a 7 so you can't say the fact we need a better scrum half has nothing to do with Wane.

We played well against Saints high tempo and some players like burgess had better games, taking nothing away from the team but i think we caught Saints cold which helped because as usual once in leading positions we don't play percentages or have a controlling game plan.

This is down to wane, we play the same way when we are 14-0 up as when we are 14-0 down, we don't manage our games which is why we often throw away leads. If you look at the best teams they control the tempo, we don't and this is down to wane.

we still have no plan b or real game plan, saints weren't poor last night but the first 2 tries were easier opportunities than other teams will give, we took them well but we didn't look convincing once saints were back up to speed and nearly capitulated toward the end
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

Do you believe its wanes fault that we signed tommy l? I don't think wane has the final say on transfers.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

eccywarrior wrote:Do you believe its wanes fault that we signed tommy l? I don't think wane has the final say on transfers.
Wane doesn't strike me as the type to take orders
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

We have never replaced Pat Richards in the kicking department and the only person to blame is Wane, he has always tried and failed to make one of our backs into one. How many points we have thrown away and thus lost games I don't know but it has made us struggle to win games and the only person to blame is the coach. Don't get me wrong I think Wane has been good but now it is time for a change
pedro

Post by pedro »

richards wasnt signed as a kicker and trained hard for it.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I agree with pretty much all of that, so no shots from me. I think our right hand side has its moments fwiw, but a combination of a less than inspired 7, and a s cond row who only has one angle of running and it isn't outward, are hard to fix. Last night when Sam took over there it gave Gelling his try. Gelling and Marshall can be dangerous with space and time.
My own bugbear is the hopeless conditioning, as far prevention of and recovery from injuries is concerned.
To quote a famous tennis champion "You cannot be serious".
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:richards wasnt signed as a kicker and trained hard for it.
Botica wasn't signed as a kicker either and look at his history with the club.

I am not sure what your point is. Were these two more dedicated and so trained the house down to kick compared to the current players? Or is the coach not insisting the designated kicker do so or not picking the best player for the job?

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

eccywarrior wrote:Do you believe its wanes fault that we signed tommy l? I don't think wane has the final say on transfers.
Don't think he does but he must have final say as to who plays where and when. So it's down to Wane we do not have (for example) Tommy and MM interchanging at hooker with Powell and Williams in the halves. Just an example as the point I am trying to make is Wane has choices despite the squad he is presented with and he doesn't get the best out of it IMO.