Isa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Isa

Post by pedro »

At the time I thought it was a bad one as far as cannonballs are concerned. I even called it to my father. Watched it again and he makes contact on the joint from behind which is outlawed.

Im glad hes not banned but think he is a lucky boy. Just because LMS wasnt injured doesnt make the tackle ok.
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:Isa avoids charge for tackle which infuriated Saints boss

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8736338
I was worried when I saw it first time, but reading the panel's explanation for 'no charge' it looks OK.
LMS is an actor (I use the term in jest, as I don't want to upset too many Thespians)and his 'fans' on this site know exactly what he is!
Now we have another Saints whinger. He wants to sort his own players and stop moaning!!
Great derby match, best team won, great recovery from the disappointment of the CC, and it was great to see young Marshall "walking tall with his head held high" after the match.
Couldn't be more chuffed :D :D :D
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Seems to me it's a matter of degree., The refs have to use their judgment. Often, a 'third man' comes in and tackles the legs quite gently. Nobody sees harm in that, and rightly so. In real time I thought Isa's looked a bit dangerous, but LMS's play-acting obviously worked against him when it came in front of the beak. I agree that if the same tackle had been done on one of our backs, I wouldn't have been happy.

Wasn't there a similar, but much worse, tackle by a Leeds player in the last round that went unpunished on the pitch? That one was really bad, and dangerous.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

That fell under Rule 99 Sub-Section 12 Paragraph 1*:
"No Leeds player shall ever be found guilty of a dangerous or bad tackle because of the angle of inclination of the sun from their nether quarters. In all cases, the views of Gary Hetherington shall be taken into account."
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

pedro wrote:was worse than Powells in the semi and he got a ban
I don't think so, if you watch he hits the legs from behind and lower down on or below the knees and went with the natural bend of the knee where as Powel much higher and from the side, much more likely to cause a bad injury. I think ISA was a bit lucky to get away without a ban but let's be grateful that for once we get a bit of luck
pedro

Post by pedro »

the cannonball is for hitting at the knee joint from behind, if you hit higher or lower its ok. IF you hit the knee joint and they band back over you it where the injuries happen.
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

pedro wrote:the cannonball is for hitting at the knee joint from behind, if you hit higher or lower its ok. IF you hit the knee joint and they band back over you it where the injuries happen.
I am only saying as I saw it Powels looked to me more dangerous and the injured player looked to me in some pain, if my memory is right he had to be helped off the field. Unlike ISA tackle where it was pretty obvious Skarsbroke was just play acting and was soon running hard and tackling as if nothing had happened
pedro

Post by pedro »

He did but come back on, like I said the injury shouldnt be a part of the ban otherwise you open a massive can of worms.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Phil Clarke raised a good point (for once) that we are becoming too over analytical really of every facet of the sport. Yes no one wants to see people injured but these tackles have been around for a while now and at the end of the day player safety is a bit hard to manage.

Obvious attacks to the head and neck are easy because they are against the natural run of play but if you start looking at tackles to the legs its going to become impossible to manage. The ref's need to do a better job of calling held because players have to keep pouring in while the player is "live" if two men have a player up top and they are still driving then someone has to get the legs.

Im not saying we should ignore attacks to the legs completely but we need to remember that rugby is a contact sport in which injuries are likely to happen thats the nature of the beast
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
BriH

Post by BriH »

Southern Softy wrote:That fell under Rule 99 Sub-Section 12 Paragraph 1*:
"No Leeds player shall ever be found guilty of a dangerous or bad tackle because of the angle of inclination of the sun from their nether quarters. In all cases, the views of Gary Hetherington shall be taken into account."
Nice one :lol: :lol: :lol: