New York announce plans to create rugby league club

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

New York announce plans to create rugby league club

Post by josie andrews »

Ambitious plans have been unveiled for a New York rugby league team to follow Toronto into the English game.

A business plan has been submitted to the Rugby Football League and organisers, who say they have the backing of wealthy benefactors, hope to get the go-ahead in time to enter the competition in 2019.

The project has been inspired by the success of Toronto, who achieved promotion from Kingstone Press League 1 at the first attempt and drew crowds of 7,000, but the founders of the New York club hope to get the go-ahead to enter at Championship level, just one step away from Super League.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... eague-club
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jasonnlouise

Re: New York announce plans to create rugby league club

Post by jasonnlouise »

In my opinion if the game doesn't try to expand it will simply die ,we're already becoming a feeder league to the nrl and union, I agree to travel to these teams will be expensive but Toronto have done well and quite a few opposition fans have made the journey over there.On a sponsorship front North America has massive potential ,our game will simply not survive if we keep to the M62 corridor
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Fawdoffshed wrote:
jasonnlouise wrote:In my opinion if the game doesn't try to expand it will simply die ,we're already becoming a feeder league to the nrl and union, I agree to travel to these teams will be expensive but Toronto have done well and quite a few opposition fans have made the journey over there.On a sponsorship front North America has massive potential ,our game will simply not survive if we keep to the M62 corridor
I used to love going to Cumbria. :cool:
Totally agree when Super League was formed a combined Cumbria team was mentioned but never materialised ,it's a hot bed of Rugby League ,I'd love to see a Cumbria team in Super League expansion is good for the game ,the Wales experiment was and always will be a disaster it'll never compete with union, rugby league needs to look at gaps in the market that's why North America is becoming appealing ,even in Australia it's predominantly east coast,my daughter was in Melbourne for the Afl and Rugby grand finals,The AFL final was by far the bigger event hardly any bars in Melbourne had the Rugby final on so it's not just the UK
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Fawdoffshed wrote:J&L. I'm actually a cricket fanatic, but really do love rugby league. I find it hard to believe that rugby league isn't accepted more even in this country. It's a fantastic game, easy to follow and played by super-fit athletes. It's a shame the die-hards won't allow it into their lives. Having said that, there are a lot of RL fans who won't have anything to do with RU. I risk the wrath of some on here, but I record the Channel 5 RU programme every Sunday and I like most of what I see.

Yes. It would be great if a Cumbrian club were to eventually grace the Super League.

The powers-that-be though continue to want to expand the game world-wide, instead of concentrating in the heartlands of the game we've come to know and love and I accept it's not as strong as it once was. I get an awful feeling the bods at the top of our game couldn't care less, really.
Good thread, I'm an ex-pat Wiganer in RU heartlands of Gloucester. RL has support here and its growing slowly. My lad started playing in league of 6 teams in 2014, now 12 teams across the region. Why not expand RL, if it gets off the ground in 5 years or so we might be playing NY or Toronto in one-off WCC type competitions.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

New York is not a good idea - its sports market is too full. The team will really struggle to grow awareness IMO. Too much like London.

I believe Boston is much more realistic for a niche sport.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Mike wrote:New York is not a good idea - its sports market is too full. The team will really struggle to grow awareness IMO. Too much like London.

I believe Boston is much more realistic for a niche sport.
Has it said New York City or state? If it's city I agree would be hard to generate interest with 2 nfl sides a football team 2 baseball ice hockey and basketball,if it's New York state you could be talking about Buffalo where they have an unsuccessful nfl side Boston would also be a good call
endoman

Post by endoman »

Pitch is is in New Jersey, subway at least from Manhattan. I'll ask a friend there hoe accessible it is. It's a 25,000 seater stadium
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I agree about a crowded market but if it takes hold there who knows how it’ll go,Toronto has on the back of one season been a success albeit with a spend thatd make Man City blush,in relative terms at least.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

New Jersey arena by all accounts,home of MLS Red Bulls. It’s a brilliant concept having another North American team based in the US with the success of Toronto. The sooner they both get into SL the better IMO & hopefully Toulouse not too far behind to give Catalans a much needed ‘derby’ game! We nearly had the prospect of a Euro super league (as it was originally incepted) dropping into the abyss completely with Catalans dire form. Thankfully that was averted at the 11th hour. Traditionalists & parochial thinkers will absolutely hate it,as always,but if everyone is honest the game has gone backwards for years expansion wise & lost acres of new market revenue in the process. RU has its Heineken cup with teams all over Europe now & with super rugby ditching 2 SA teams,even the pro 14 has a dual hemisphere presence!.
I can’t imagine Leinster or Glasgow fans complaining at the prospect of travelling to Bloemfontein or Cape Town this season,both of which will be infinitely more expensive than a trip to Toronto or Newark. You can get cheap flights to both from Manc & I’ll bet Eric Perez will be looking to get subsidised travel for SL fans wishing to make the journey across the pond. I’ll bet a 3 day Toronto trip won’t work out any dearer than Perpignan once they’re in SL. Easyjet have just announced NY cheap flights & if they fly from Manc it’s only 5.5hr. We need to get our act together as RL fans & fully embrace some serious diversity for once before it’s finally too late.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

Follow up thought,Boston is full of Irish ex pats & you can bet your bottom $ the RU powers that be will be monitoring what’s happening with Toronto spreading the RL gospel in North America! Don’t be surprised if Guinness push for a pro14 RU presence to be based over there at some point soon to join the 2 SA teams & stall any further RL expansion. If that happens they will absolutely steal another great RL initiative from under our noses! Boston v Munster or Leinster would be a no brainer 30,000 sell out every time. Watch that space