Wigan Warriors to launch women's team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors to launch women's team

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
exiled

Post by exiled »

I don't normally watch the dark side, but, I love watching the Woman's Rugby Union World Cup, Some of those woman can put the blokes to shame and it so much more entertaining, the ball is in play more for a start.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Fawdoffshed wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:We've had some great women in sport over the years and certainly not awful to watch!
I remember watching a women's match at CP about 20 years ago as a curtain raiser.
Guiseley Ladies were one of the teams and they had a centre better than Gary Connolly!
It's took a long time to reach this point in time, can't knock it.
My posting was merely my opionion and most people I've discussed this with agree that it mostly IS awful. However, if you like it, then crack on.

I hope the great Gary Connolly doesn't cast his eyes on your comparison of him with a curtain raiser Guisely Ladies centre, tongue-in-cheek that it was. :cool:
You made a comment Women's sport is utterly awful to watch. I've took great pleasure in loads of women in sport plying their "trade".
Laura Trott, Jade Jones spring readily to mind from the recent Olympics, Ennis, Queen Vic Pendleton and her sidekick Jess Varnish from London2012 to mention a few.
The GC comment was tongue in cheek and he played later that night. The girl in question was very eye catching in her play and ran very much like GC hence, the comparison.
Your later comments about protection are very valid, particularly as it has been my philosophy that women should not take a hit. However I have two women friends who are passed karate black belts and they just got on with it.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

exiled wrote:I don't normally watch the dark side, but, I love watching the Woman's Rugby Union World Cup, Some of those woman can put the blokes to shame and it so much more entertaining, the ball is in play more for a start.

Really ? Ifind it boring but each to their own
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Do the club have the resources to be doing this? Is there money in it?

It's certainly true women's soccer has taken off and women's RU has been going for a while. One of my friends from when I lived in London played for England in the very early days of that.

But women's RL? I don't suppose there is any reason it could not follow those two sports but I doubt I would watch it. RL like RU is a very physical game and that is part of the attraction (over soccer for example). While you can get some pretty huge women they are the exception rather than the rule so physical sports played by women tend to have a different dynamic. You could argue they are more skillful but for me it would be bit like introducing a lightweight division of men's RL where the size of the players is limited. Same rules but a different game.