Is this the guy we need?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Is this the guy we need?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

michael inch stoke wrote:
Wes wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Blake Green came to us after getting fed up of not playing at 6 regular in the NRL if i remember correctly. He couldn't get a steady gig at 6 and was moved around all over the team, he wanted to be a 6 and came to us to play regular there to develop his game. He left better than when he came and now he's kicked on again to the next level

very very few players come to us and improve (beyond their natural improvement as a result of regular game time)
I thought Hull KR signed him as a 6? We signed him as a replacement to Finch?
Yes we signed him from HKR
oh yeah id totally forgot he had a stint at kr before us, but yeah essentially he came to england to become a 6 and he has become one a very good one but it could of gone the other way i guess.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11930722

going to NZ Warriors if rumors are to be believed
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:for every FNP and Luaki there is a Sarg/green/Tautia
Your post it quite incomprehensible, the killer for me is when you think Sarginson was a successful signing. Nothing more than a squad signing that got game time due to the owner/coach determining Wigan needed recruitment elsewhere as a priority and as such Sarginson ended up a first team regular more by default than anything exceptional he ever did

If you want to throw extra players in who have struggled under Wane then add Navarrete and Pettybourne
really? doesn't seem that hard to follow. for every example used to show how poor Wane is at improving a player there is an example of him improvig a player.

Sarg improved as a player at wigan enough to het a NRL contract... if he fails over there then so be it but they obviously saw something.

Narverrete never really got enough game time to make that judgment and i enjoyed watchig steady eddy in the team... but then again i saw what matty Smith added to the team ????
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:for every FNP and Luaki there is a Sarg/green/Tautia
Your post it quite incomprehensible, the killer for me is when you think Sarginson was a successful signing. Nothing more than a squad signing that got game time due to the owner/coach determining Wigan needed recruitment elsewhere as a priority and as such Sarginson ended up a first team regular more by default than anything exceptional he ever did

If you want to throw extra players in who have struggled under Wane then add Navarrete and Pettybourne
really? doesn't seem that hard to follow. for every example used to show how poor Wane is at improving a player there is an example of him improvig a player.

Sarg improved as a player at wigan enough to het a NRL contract... if he fails over there then so be it but they obviously saw something.

Narverrete never really got enough game time to make that judgment and i enjoyed watchig steady eddy in the team... but then again i saw what matty Smith added to the team ????
Its not true the NRL only sign good players, theyve signed a few now, they have a big salary cap and exploit that on chances - Scott Moore, Greg Eden, Ritchie Mathers as a few examples
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:Can't be any good as he improved massively under Wane and we know that never happens.
Generally it doesn't. Plenty of examples of that. Gelling being the best in the current squad. Others such as Luaki and FPN go backwards.

I don't even think you have a point re Green. To say he improved "massively" under Wane is a complete exaggeration.

Since he went to the NRL has looks even better than he did at Wigan. Probably due to being far better coached.
and to use Gelling as an example of the opposite is a complete exaggeration as well.
Why? He is the perfect example of Wane totally failing to improve a player. He makes the same mistakes now as he did when he started.
for every FNP and Luaki there is a Sarg/green/Tautia
A Sarge? Are you being serious? That was one player we were well rid of and he's another like Gelling who was making the same mistakes when he left as he did when he arrived.

They are both Wane type players though. Train the house down and it's good enough for him. Whether they are actually any good or not appears to be immaterial and he must not see it as his job to improve their skills because he certainly didn't/has not with these two.

As to Green and Tuaiti they weren't poor when they arrived. The argument is Wane is improved them. I don't see anyone progressing never mind of Green did or not. Lookat Bateman and Williams. Can you say they improved this year compared to last? I'd say both have gone backwards.
my comment is more a dig at Wigan and Wane apparently cannot do anything right because for the first time since 2010 we havent really been in frame to win anything down to own to ourselves (no flower red card to blame)

even the leeds treble year you could comment on the dodgy ref decision against hudds for LL and only a bit of Maguire magic for the final. this year has been Bad but how easy its forgotten what in the Cabinet due to Wane and IL
What we have in the cabinet? Which players are these? Who do you think other top clubs would be interested in signing from us? My view is Gildard, Bateman, Williams and possibly Faz. And with the last three it's on past reputation because this season has done nothing to enhance any of those threes reputations. Davies, Marshall and Budgie might also be of interest but the first two are young so could be one season wonders and Budgie is another who has gone backwards.

The rest of our squad bar Lockers who is at the end of his career are Widnes standard.