Wane and Wayne

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Wane and Wayne

Post by morley pie eater »

Looking at the England squad, it struck me! The differences between Wane and Wayne:

The England squad has 6 props, 2 hookers but only 8 backs. Wayne relies on Bateman or Currie to cover at centre.

In the warm-up match, 2 or 3 players took kicks for goal so he could decide who to use in the tournament.

Wayne is an all-time great coach.

Meanwhile at Wigan, Wane packs his squad with props and uses Bateman to cover at centre. He's an idiot.

Wane (the pon yed, not Wayne the super coach) has a goal-kicking comp to decide who his kicker will be! He insists on having 2 hookers in his squad, though all the fans know this is stupid.

Funny how 2 coaches with the same name (spelt different), can be so un-alike?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Re: Wane and Wayne

Post by southportcdm »

Wayne knows who his first choice goal kicker is (Widdop) and chooses somebody with a greater than 80% success rate, Wane doesn't think it's that important. Wayne makes his large forwards take up the ball and uses his backs to finish moves whereas Wane makes his backs take up the ball and uses his small forwards to tackle. Wayne likes his hookers to make ground from the play the ball, Wane doesn't. Although I accept that both Bateman and George are two of our best players, Wayne will not use either of them as first choices unless forced to do so through injury. Wayne and Wane are very different.
pedro

Post by pedro »

they have 2 different jobs
Maverickpils

Post by Maverickpils »

pedro wrote:they have 2 different jobs
And two completely different squads to chose players from.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Bennett has no hesitation in selecting Bateman, an ex centre ahead of other centre's in the squad.
Wane picks a left winger who cannot pass a ball ahead of an ex centre when one of his centre's gets injured.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

southportcdm wrote:Wayne knows who his first choice goal kicker is (Widdop) and chooses somebody with a greater than 80% success rate, Wane doesn't think it's that important. Wayne makes his large forwards take up the ball and uses his backs to finish moves whereas Wane makes his backs take up the ball and uses his small forwards to tackle. Wayne likes his hookers to make ground from the play the ball, Wane doesn't. Although I accept that both Bateman and George are two of our best players, Wayne will not use either of them as first choices unless forced to do so through injury. Wayne and Wane are very different.
Not Ryan Hall's point of view.
Where once a winger would wait close to the touchline for his turn to attack, these days they often roam infield looking for the ball, making hard yards early in the tackle count, effectively performing the role of another forward.

"My try-scoring record hasn't been very good this year, but it's not just about that now." added Hall.

"The modern-day winger's role has changed a bit and I think I do the other side of those things quite well."
See the full article here:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/41683090
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
maximus

Post by maximus »

I would prefer Bateman as 1st choice centre instead of Gelling for 2018 if we are not going to get a top class one
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Bennett has no hesitation in selecting Bateman, an ex centre ahead of other centre's in the squad.
Wane picks a left winger who cannot pass a ball ahead of an ex centre when one of his centre's gets injured.
Really!
Burgess only played centre once after Bateman came back into the team, and that was Batemans second game after returning from injury.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

George Williams not picked for Fridays match
maximus

Post by maximus »

didn't expect him to be Luke gale has been the outstanding player this year and deserves his place