2018 Kit

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: 2018 Kit

Post by No straw damn us »

Fawdoffshed wrote:One of the best Wigan full-backs ever.
Frankie Parr was a scrum half and a bloody good un.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

As nice and iconic as the 1989 Milwaukee Challenge shirt was. I can guarantee that if the club tried to produce something like that (2020 for our every third year something different kit for example) Everyone would kick off because the V is a St Helens thing.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

My favourite is the 2011 WCC shirt BRING IT BACK
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

AndyNick wrote:As nice and iconic as the 1989 Milwaukee Challenge shirt was. I can guarantee that if the club tried to produce something like that (2020 for our every third year something different kit for example) Everyone would kick off because the V is a St Helens thing.
Yea I’ve heard a few moaning along those lines too but clearly the 66 final shirt also used a very similar design & thats 50+ year ago now,so for me the argument simply doesn’t hold up.

RL shirts have a very long tradition of using a single or double front V design (it’s definitely not just a Stains thing) none more so than the ultimate iconic RL jersey of the Kangaroos!.

A quick glance round the current WC shows a host of nations with the same traditional V styling in their jerseys (from PNG to France,NZ to Lebanon).

NRL club’s have always used V panels,my 2 most prized shirts are a 1986 Western Suburbs & a 1989 Balmain Tigers.

I reckon the younger generation would love a version of the Milwaukee shirt if it’s kept simple & faithful to the original,not jazzed up with unnecessary modern frills. Retro kit is probably more popular now than ever in lots of sports.
I’m sure CCC could do a superb version if they ever get the kit deal ????????
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

People forget that Saints kit was white with a single red band, the vee was only introduced in the 1961 final v Wigan to stop the kits clashing.
I can also remember Wigan playing in an all white kit, and a plain red with white stripes down the sleeves in the Green Vigo era
1 minute into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrxS8MjALqw
markill

Post by markill »

It's the opposite of saints shirt so I don't think anyone would mind that. Could have white v in the top half and a couple of hoops in the bottom. I'd buy that as our next 'non-traditional' shirt in a couple of years time.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

No straw damn us wrote:People forget that Saints kit was white with a single red band, the vee was only introduced in the 1961 final v Wigan to stop the kits clashing.
I can also remember Wigan playing in an all white kit, and a plain red with white stripes down the sleeves in the Green Vigo era
1 minute into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrxS8MjALqw
Must admit I really like that Red 77 kit you’ve highlighted there as well ???? very retro & plain but actually eye catching.
Looks Very similar to the British lions Union kit,possibly Adidas sleeve stripes?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We used to play in blue and I think orange and black and very very tight red and white pin stripe hoops back in the 1800s. Maybe bring those back as a heritage kit one season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote:We used to play in blue and I think orange and black and very very tight red and white pin stripe hoops back in the 1800s. Maybe bring those back as a heritage kit one season.
I’d love to see something like that some of the kits the club come out with are awful,last seasons was a shocker
Wes

Post by Wes »

fozzieskem wrote:
Mike wrote:We used to play in blue and I think orange and black and very very tight red and white pin stripe hoops back in the 1800s. Maybe bring those back as a heritage kit one season.
I’d love to see something like that some of the kits the club come out with are awful,last seasons was a shocker
Didn’t fans vote on which kit to have for last season? Still wasn’t a great kit.