Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Re: Sam Powell

Post by old hooker »

jao711 wrote:Seems to be get Sam Powell month.Well the’re giving somebody else a rest.Willie Isa hasn’t been mentioned for a while.
You have convinced me now we should all become happy clappers, praise the coaching staff , the owner, and the players even though we have played poor RL, unattractive RL, won nothing and fallen behind teams whom have been inferior to Wigan since the year dot.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

old hooker wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:I honestly believe that Sam Powell is an average hooking option and certainly not a half back. He has no real pace, not much of a kicking game and is passing is ordinary. How many of the other tops Clubs would he get into, say before Parcell, Clarke , Houghton, Roby, McShane, the new guy at Wakefeld who looks like a player to me. Need I go on even further down the League with the likes of Aiton and White.

A lovely lad Sam but lets try and be honest.
So true, we need a good attacking 9 but IL will not pay out any money to sign one from NRL.He cons many people that he is the saviour of Wigan but he is tight fisted and that is why we keep signing project players or returnees whos credibility has fallen.
. As I have posted before”It’s easy to be cavalier with someone else’s money.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
jao711 wrote:Seems to be get Sam Powell month.Well the’re giving somebody else a rest.Willie Isa hasn’t been mentioned for a while.
What an excellent post!, so well thought out, i like in particular the way you've read the posts from others and put forward your views in such a balanced and informative way.

Its excellent posts like this that bring people to this forum

BRAVO!
. Oooo I say,praise indeed.
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

jao711 wrote:
old hooker wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:I honestly believe that Sam Powell is an average hooking option and certainly not a half back. He has no real pace, not much of a kicking game and is passing is ordinary. How many of the other tops Clubs would he get into, say before Parcell, Clarke , Houghton, Roby, McShane, the new guy at Wakefeld who looks like a player to me. Need I go on even further down the League with the likes of Aiton and White.

A lovely lad Sam but lets try and be honest.
So true, we need a good attacking 9 but IL will not pay out any money to sign one from NRL.He cons many people that he is the saviour of Wigan but he is tight fisted and that is why we keep signing project players or returnees whos credibility has fallen.

It is not someone elses money it is money that we put into the club through the turnstiles, season tickets, warriors world purchases etc.If we did put this money into the club there would be no Wigan Warriors.All that is being asked is that the club show some ambition and something to cheer about but that is not happening.I repeat IL is quite happy for us to chug along as long as he is making money, imo his best interests are in his own bank balance and not our club.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

oldhooker wrote:
jao711 wrote:
old hooker wrote: So true, we need a good attacking 9 but IL will not pay out any money to sign one from NRL.He cons many people that he is the saviour of Wigan but he is tight fisted and that is why we keep signing project players or returnees whos credibility has fallen.

It is not someone elses money it is money that we put into the club through the turnstiles, season tickets, warriors world purchases etc.If we did put this money into the club there would be no Wigan Warriors.All that is being asked is that the club show some ambition and something to cheer about but that is not happening.I repeat IL is quite happy for us to chug along as long as he is making money, imo his best interests are in his own bank balance and not our club.
. Is that why he made up the £600.00 shortfall last year.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Make that £600.000 .
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I may be over-reading some comments on here but it seems that anything pointing out deficiencies in players, coaches or club is "balanced and informative", anyone offering praise is a "happy clapper"?

I've read well thought-out posts on both sides, and inane, thoughtless comments from both sides too. Reverting to insults and name-calling is usually a sign of a weak argument or a weak mind - or both.

I've been labelled a happy clapper on a few occasions. On the topic of SP and MM, I'm inclined to jump in and defend both of them, as they've given stirling service to the team I support, and watching them has enhanced my enjoyment.

A last point: some of us accept that, under the salary cap, it's not possible to have 19 world class players in the same team. I loved watching Wigan in the 85 to 95, though the pleasure in watching matches where it was a case of how many we won by did beging to wear thin at times.

My views of the current squad are tempered by the above. If that makes me, or others, happy clappers with imbalanced and uninformative views, then, "hey...whatever".
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

jao711 wrote:Make that £600.000 .
If you believe IL put all that money into the club without a clause that he would be repayed then you are dreaming.Businessmen like IL do not become rich by giving that sort of money away.As long as people are gullible enough to think he is some sort of benevolent figure then he will prosper, get real he is all for himself like all the rest of entrepeneurs.
Wes

Post by Wes »

old hooker wrote:
If you believe IL put all that money into the club without a clause that he would be repayed then you are dreaming.Businessmen like IL do not become rich by giving that sort of money away.As long as people are gullible enough to think he is some sort of benevolent figure then he will prosper, get real he is all for himself like all the rest of entrepeneurs.
Punchy tonight aren’t we?
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Wes wrote:
old hooker wrote:
Punchy tonight aren’t we?
No, just annoyed that we are being made to look poor by teams such as Castleford, Hull and Warrington whom all seem to have ambition and a desire by making an effort to improve their squads.We now lack ambition, as I have said many times IL is tight fisted and hopefully he will recognise that we need to make significant signings so 2018 is not an even worse year than we have just endured.