Wigan Warriors and IL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Wigan Warriors and IL

Post by jaws1 »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Wigan have the most wonderful reservoir of young talent in the whole of the Super League? If that is so, and that talent is nurtured and coached well, why would Wigan want to spend lots of money on other players? I know it goes deeper than that, but I just thought I'd mention that Wigan is a supposedly hot bed of junior rugby league. Well. Isn't it? :eusa4:
So do Leeds but they go out and buy .
markill

Post by markill »

jaws1 wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Wigan have the most wonderful reservoir of young talent in the whole of the Super League? If that is so, and that talent is nurtured and coached well, why would Wigan want to spend lots of money on other players? I know it goes deeper than that, but I just thought I'd mention that Wigan is a supposedly hot bed of junior rugby league. Well. Isn't it? :eusa4:
So do Leeds but they go out and buy .
Last year, after their bad year (which was way worse than our bad year), they signed Parcell to replace Segeyaro, which most would see as a downgrade at the time, and Ormondroyd from Fev, which would be what we call a project player. In effect they did nothing different to what we're doing.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
jao711

Post by jao711 »

[quote="old hooker"]Some people will believe anything[/quote/. That has been the case as log as I can remember long before IL’s days.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

fozzieskem wrote:trouble is a big signing excites and galvanises support rightly or wrongly a young lad coming through for the most part doesent have that excitement
. Fair comment,but having seen the highlights clip of Gabe Hamlin(Yes I know it was compiled by his agent),I am looking forward to seeing him play.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

jao711 wrote:
old hooker wrote:Some people will believe anything[/quote/. That has been the case as log as I can remember long before IL’s days.
. Made a hash of that,I meant season ticket sales being more profitable.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jao711 wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:trouble is a big signing excites and galvanises support rightly or wrongly a young lad coming through for the most part doesent have that excitement
. Fair comment,but having seen the highlights clip of Gabe Hamlin(Yes I know it was compiled by his agent),I am looking forward to seeing him play.
I am myself I really hope the club has unearthed a a diamond but the highlight reel is something I never watch,as you say it’s compiled to get him a club,at this point I doubt he will get that much game time to be honest,barring an injury crisis and given his young age does he really offer anything more than what the club has already st Orrell?

It was an odd signing really but one I hope gives us supporters a lot to shout aboyt.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The problem with Wes's earlier post that makes out IL is some sort of Saint (pardon the use of the word...) is that the club is actually in debt to IL.

So if/when he comes to sell it then we see how much he has really put into the club because then we will see how much of that loan he expects to be paid off.

There is also the Orrell ground to consider. Now that is apparently being sold but that is an asset of no small value so IL's loans have been pretty secure up to now and when it is sold off we will have to see if and how the money shows up in the clubs accounts.

The difference in terms of cash between IL and the previous administration is DW would literally bankroll the club out of his own (much larger) pocket, not give it loans. What IL is doing is par for the course now. The Saints directors have done exactly the same thing (to a much greater degree over £13m when I looked at their accounts). I dare say the Wire chairman has done similar or maybe gone the DW route, who knows but IL is not unique. He's only doing what I expect other chairmen to do and what they are doing.

If there comes a time when his pocket isn't deep enough to carry on granting the club loans (which I remind you is putting it in debt) he needs to seek partners or sell it.

I tend to agree with Old Hooker. Despite over £5m of loans we are going backwards.

Making a general point, I am a bit surprised the RFL allow this practice. The clubs doing this are only not insolvent because the directors/chairmen have not called in the loans.

jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

fozzieskem wrote:
jao711 wrote:
I am myself I really hope the club has unearthed a a diamond but the highlight reel is something I never watch,as you say it’s compiled to get him a club,at this point I doubt he will get that much game time to be honest,barring an injury crisis and given his young age does he really offer anything more than what the club has already st Orrell?

It was an odd signing really but one I hope gives us supporters a lot to shout aboyt.
. How old were Andy Farrell Sam T.and John Bateman when they were 1st team players plus a few others if I could just bring them to mind.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

jao 711 wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
jao711 wrote:. Fair comment,but having seen the highlights clip of Gabe Hamlin(Yes I know it was compiled by his agent),I am looking forward to seeing him play.

. How old were Andy Farrell Sam T.and John Bateman when they were 1st team players plus a few others if I could just bring them to mind.
Dennis Betts, Phil Clarke, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Sean O'Loughlin, Joel Tomkins, Tom Davies, LIam Farrell etc. etc. etc.
Mary from Wigan

Post by Mary from Wigan »

Please don't forget Shaun Edwards and all the drama of his signing at midnight on his 17th birthday. What a player he turned out to be. Pure magic