The Beeb and the World Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Nezza Faz

The Beeb and the World Cup

Post by Nezza Faz »

The BBC have come in quite rightly for severe criticism for their "non coverage" of most matches in the World Cup, they've not shown any of the fantastic matches in PNG where the atmosphere and their fans are something else. Neither did they show the Tonga v NZ game which is one of the best I've ever seen, or the Fiji v NZ match - both of which were major upset results.

Yet tonight, on the main BBC News, they headlined half a dozen different sports stories, including PL, with a decent report plus try highlights, which was great to see. Perhaps now they are realising the error of their ways ? As a licence payer I do feel aggrieved that they are only showing England's matches. Bit of a piecemeal approach against the wall to wall coverage union gets, perhaps much to do with the Beeb's biased bosses !
Fujiman

Re: The Beeb and the World Cup

Post by Fujiman »

Nezza Faz wrote:The BBC have come in quite rightly for severe criticism for their "non coverage" of most matches in the World Cup, they've not shown any of the fantastic matches in PNG where the atmosphere and their fans are something else. Neither did they show the Tonga v NZ game which is one of the best I've ever seen, or the Fiji v NZ match - both of which were major upset results.

Yet tonight, on the main BBC News, they headlined half a dozen different sports stories, including PL, with a decent report plus try highlights, which was great to see. Perhaps now they are realising the error of their ways ? As a licence payer I do feel aggrieved that they are only showing England's matches. Bit of a piecemeal approach against the wall to wall coverage union gets, perhaps much to do with the Beeb's biased bosses !
Sky are just as bad.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Nezza Faz wrote:The BBC have come in quite rightly for severe criticism for their "non coverage" of most matches in the World Cup, they've not shown any of the fantastic matches in PNG where the atmosphere and their fans are something else. Neither did they show the Tonga v NZ game which is one of the best I've ever seen, or the Fiji v NZ match - both of which were major upset results.

Well said. Both the BBC & Sky show every game in any RU competition or tournament. We are lucky that they even show England games in RL ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

will they only show the one semi involving england ?

bit poor if thats all we get
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

josie andrews wrote:

Well said. Both the BBC & Sky show every game in any RU competition or tournament. We are lucky that they even show England games in RL ????
Not true. My big grumble with the sports coverage on the BBC is how they spend money on all the 'Celtic' nations wih rah rah rugby for Wales, Scotland and even Ireland. On top of that the beeb show goals they have got from Scottish matches on BBC ALBA.
What we want is less money frittered away to these whingeing minorities and more spent on sport forthe 55 million people who live in England!!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

formulamoto wrote:will they only show the one semi involving england ?

bit poor if thats all we get
Live yes but they have shown decent 45 or 60 minute highlights of the other games all through the tournament.
The big whinge should be the appalling crowds at Wellington for NZ v Fiji and then again at Melbourne for England v PNG. The organising committee there seem to have done as good a job there as the RFL did when they sent international matches to everywhere except RL heartlands and managed to lose enough money to cripple the English game for years although obviously this wont happen in OZ with the megabucks TV contracts they have there.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

ian.birchall wrote:
josie andrews wrote:

Not true. My big grumble with the sports coverage on the BBC is how they spend money on all the 'Celtic' nations wih rah rah rugby for Wales, Scotland and even Ireland.
What we want is less money frittered away to these whingeing minorities and more spent on sport forthe 55 million people who live in England!!
It is the BBC though, not the EBC.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The booze hound wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Well said. Both the BBC & Sky show every game in any RU competition or tournament. We are lucky that they even show England games in RL ????
Not true. My big grumble with the sports coverage on the BBC is how they spend money on all the 'Celtic' nations wih rah rah rugby for Wales, Scotland and even Ireland.
It is the BBC though, not the EBC.
Well quite.

But some posters seem to be suggesting that the BBC can pick and choose 'on the hoof' what they screen:"Hey, that Tonga/NZ game looks good; let's screen that". It doesn't work like that. Matches that the BBC had rights to televise were decided long ago. We all knew that, so why complain now?

I really don't see what Welsh RU or Scottish football have got to do with it, either. The BBC has a duty to provide sports coverage for all Britons, not just the English.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: Both the BBC & Sky show every game in any RU competition or tournament.
Not true, surely? They've lost the England RU matches, haven't they?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Both the BBC & Sky show every game in any RU competition or tournament.
Not true, surely? They've lost the England RU matches, haven't they?
I’m not sure about that for this season but the advertising for any RU games previously has been profuse.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan