Tommy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Tommy

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:What does it say about George when one of the most decorated coaches in the game doesn't see enough in him to play him ahead of Gale who has been poor and according to folk on here is absolute rubbish, or Kevin Brown
I was gobsmacked when I saw Brown selected but actually thing he has got it right with Brown. They look a different side with him in. Also Roby would be my first choice hooker by a country mile.
pedro

Post by pedro »

nitsua wrote:Yes he has; off the bench.
the 10 minute cameo?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

George still has great potential but his passing game hasn't developed in the past couple of years. I hope he and the coaching staff can work on this and he becomes the exceptional player that I think he could be. Alternatively, could we move him to scrum half and use someone else with a good passing game at 6? I've always thought Kevin Brown was very talented with a great passing game but with a body that wasn't really robust enough for top level rugby league. It still looks like that today (his injury record isn't good). A player with the body of George but the passing and kicking skills of Brown would be outstanding in Super League.
SJ

Post by SJ »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:What does it say about George when one of the most decorated coaches in the game doesn't see enough in him to play him ahead of Gale who has been poor and according to folk on here is absolute rubbish, or Kevin Brown
I was gobsmacked when I saw Brown selected but actually thing he has got it right with Brown. They look a different side with him in. Also Roby would be my first choice hooker by a country mile.
Agreed :(
moto748

Post by moto748 »

southportcdm wrote: A player with the body of George but the passing and kicking skills of Brown would be outstanding in Super League.
Just what are you suggesting, Dr. Frankenstein? :D
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

should be o the bench anyway TBW imo
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

platt-warrior wrote:should be o the bench anyway TBW imo
1 Escare
6 Sam T
7 Williams
9 MM

Tommy as cover!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The way some players step up at international level and look comfortable and others are found out shows why you can't go around calling players "great" just off a domestic career.

This is why Lockers is a truly great player. One of a few who look even better in that environment than in their club side. He did this even when we were playing far better than we are now so it's not just because we have been poor recently. A pity injury forced him to miss quite a few internationals in the past. Sinfield who is put on a pedestal due to his domestic success with Leeds never convinced.

Whether Williams will is another matter. It's hindsight but it looks like he was elevated to full international status too soon. There is time for improvement and a rediscovery of form.

Gale on the other hand is as good as he is ever going to be and that aint good enough.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

A player's experience and nous at top International level is a valuable package. And his method of contributing to a partnership is part of this, in spite of a less than impressive domestic season.

George does not yet possess the qualities a coach of an International side is looking for, or simply it hasn't shone thru' whilst he's been in Australia. Hopefully the experience he should have gained Down Under will benefit him and he'll kick on.