Schoey calls for Bennett to leave following World Cup Final defeat

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Re: Schoey calls for Bennett to leave following World Cup Final defeat

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote:
Firestarter wrote:I wish i still had the vid/dvd of stevie hampsons tackle on him in the regal trophy at bolton..... it was the best ever and he must have knocked him 15 yards into touch.....around the 88-90 era...best tackle ive ever seen by a country mile..... i only remember him having one good game against us too be honest
I remember it well, FS. It was at Headingley and we had s severely depleted team. Hampo was injured and Richard Russell was full-back - a trier, but never a full-back and too slow to catch a cold.

After spending the opening 20 mins explaining Schofield's numerous shortcomings to some Leeds fans, Schoey ran in 3 or 4 tries right under our noses. Still think I was right though :blush:
different game pal..... this one was the regal semi at bolton...... leeds won but the tackle was something else..... well worth watching....... it was the 87-88 season( ive just checked)..... im sure my dads got the season vid somewhere.....well worth a watch and im sure hampson was our only tryscorer
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Sorry morley i mis read your post
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Sorry guys but I have to agree with some of what he says. The Aussies were there for the taking, if we had kept hold of the ball, or been a bit more creative with the ball we'd have beaten them by a clear score!!! All ifs and buts, but if we hadn't dropped the ball on the first tackle on at least seven attacks on the Aussie line we'd have won. Defensively we were on song but on attack we bottled it and as Schoey says tried to play the Aussie way!!!

Matt
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

adiddy wrote:Sorry guys but I have to agree with some of what he says. The Aussies were there for the taking, if we had kept hold of the ball, or been a bit more creative with the ball we'd have beaten them by a clear score!!! All ifs and buts, but if we hadn't dropped the ball on the first tackle on at least seven attacks on the Aussie line we'd have won. Defensively we were on song but on attack we bottled it and as Schoey says tried to play the Aussie way!!!

Matt
I think that's a problem with the quality of the players that we produce in SL. We see that sort of play every week which is why the game has become rather boring. I'd say the coach took a group a players with good desire but limited skill levels and took them as far as they could go. They did better than all the recent groups despite being probably the most limited skill-wise we've had in the last 10 years. I mean Kevin Brown played and Bateman was in the centers etc.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

adiddy wrote:Sorry guys but I have to agree with some of what he says. The Aussies were there for the taking, if we had kept hold of the ball, or been a bit more creative with the ball we'd have beaten them by a clear score!!! All ifs and buts, but if we hadn't dropped the ball on the first tackle on at least seven attacks on the Aussie line we'd have won. Defensively we were on song but on attack we bottled it and as Schoey says tried to play the Aussie way!!!

Matt
The aussies only scored 1 try with Cooper cronk, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith in their side - did they bottle it?

I dont see why the Aussies were so "there for the taking" they were unbeaten put cricket scores on everyone they hardly limped into the final apart from Thurston and Inglis they were exactly down on numbers either.

Cameron Smith said
"A lot of the boys said it was the toughest game they've played," Smith said.

"For me, because I've been playing for a long time, it's among the top three or top five matches, Origin included.
Those words are not said for the sake of the cameras he meant it and i think ill take his opinion of the match of some fat retired big mouth
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

Matt
The aussies only scored 1 try with Cooper cronk, Billy Slater and Cameron Smith in their side - did they bottle it?

I dont see why the Aussies were so "there for the taking" they were unbeaten put cricket scores on everyone they hardly limped into the final apart from Thurston and Inglis they were exactly down on numbers either.

Cameron Smith said

"For me, because I've been playing for a long time, it's among the top three or top five matches, Origin included.
Those words are not said for the sake of the cameras he meant it and i think ill take his opinion of the match of some fat retired big mouth
I agree entirely, Smith meant what he said and to see those Aussies body language in the dying minutes proves it.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

Matt

Cameron Smith said

For me, the toughest game up to the final the Aussies had was us first game, they then went through the motions destroying their opponents, meanwhile England had a few battles and I believe went into the final better prepared for a tough game. For the first time I have seen, the Aussies were out on their feet the last ten of each half and that was without having to defend their line because we dropped it every time we got near!!! Just think if we'd kept hold and actually attacked the line and kept the Aussies under the cosh instead of letting them off the hook time and time again.

England took nearly everything the Aussies threw at us but unfortunately didn't throw it back!!!

Matt
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Firestarter wrote:Sorry morley i mis read your post
No problem, I wasn't clear. I meant the one good game he had against us. Indo remember the game at Bolton, though.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Did we bottle it ....NO...

We never looked like scoring and that's a fact, the game was played mainly with the Kangaroo's attacking and if we didn't defend like we did it could have been a cricket score, so full credit to the lads.
The game was played mainly in the English half.

It was a great effort from us to hang on and keep ourselves in the game but we never looked like we could win it.

Our creative game was none existent and struggled to gel going forward.

The score flattered England!

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Great player. Cr*p pundit.