Warriors Sign Sarginson WIGAN RE-SIGN ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL DAN SARGINSON

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
OJ

Re: Warriors Sign Sarginson WIGAN RE-SIGN ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL DAN SARGINSON

Post by OJ »

And there was I thinking we're in December whereas it's actually 1st April ????
Totally agree with all previous comments especially Josie's who lives and breathes Wigan RL even more than the rest of us.
Really can't believe this has happened and mean no offence to Sarg in this as I think he always did his best for us. He'll have to play like Andy Farrell Frano Botica Shaun Edwards and Jason Robinson all rolled into one to warrant this. Really thought the club would have learnt after every other returnee hasn't exactly set the world on fire. The attitude of if we let them go they will come back needs to be changed to if they go - goodbye and best wishes but unless you are truly exceptional the door only works one way and is shutting behind you
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:We all know this is something that Ian Lenagan was hoping for. That we'd lose good players to the NRL or rugby union but that they'd come back to us.

However, it's always been presented as them coming back to us as better players, a homecoming in a blaze of glory.
But really that was always a lie. Which is why at the time I felt he was misleading the fans. Why? Well because if a player made a success of the NRL as James Graham has done or Jason Robinson did in RU they would never be back.

Why on earth would you give up at least twice the wages and a successful career to come back to Wigan? You would not.

The only reason we have had these players return is because it has not worked out for them. Sarginson has been told he has no future at the Titans. He's played five games for them so will have learned nothing.

Yet despite the various clouds hanging over all the returnees we rush to sign them.

For this policy we have to blame Lenegan. I am convinced he is obsessed with proving himself right showing that his policy of giving players who leave a way back is "working".

The trouble is while some fans will have clung to the chance of the leavers coming back it's no longer seen by many as a good idea. Especially when the latest player is so poor.
ragman

Post by ragman »

What a complete kick in the teeth. Not content with serving up the most turgid pathetic rugby I've seen at Wigan last season ( and I've watched teams with Jimmy Birts and Jimmy Fairhurst in them..), we are now insulted with yet another backward step. No wonder many many people are seriously talking about giving up on watching Wigan altogether. In these hard times,people need to consider where every penny goes, and it is ages since we have signed anybody that really made anyone excited and inclined to spend time and money at the DW.

In leadership and management, there is a real difference between strength, resolution and single-mindedness, and stubbornness, ignorance and pig-headedness. Clearly no-one at the top of the club intends listening to the ever increasing calls for a change of direction or at least a review of current policies, and so the downward spiral will continue.

We can't directly affect the stupid structure of the leagues, the appalling state of refereeing, the shocking bias towards Yorkshire at the RFL or the criminal lack of development in Cumbria and other traditional strongholds, but we can control our own destiny to some degree. In the mid 80's, we, as a club, looked inwards, and through vision and enterprise on behalf of the board elevated the club, and the sport as a whole, to new heights never seen in the modern era. True, in purely business terms, mistakes were
made and we had to reign our horns in, but I am sure that there is a middle way that embraces ambition, calculated risk and a focus on entertaining rugby, as well as sound business practice. I don't feel that the current regime has the vision to see the bottom of the table, until we are a lot closer to it.

Another nail in our coffin.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

well alot of you didnt want gelling, now we have Sarge.

hopefully hes Cheap
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Becoming the joke club of Super league It must be bad when Josie is having a go at the club.Not the club I grew up with
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

DaveO wrote:
cherry.pie wrote: I'd just like us to make one signing that makes me think 'wow, this guy could really add something to this side', as opposed to 'oh he seems promising, perhaps' or 'oh, look who's back'.
[/

So would I. I bet the Les Cats fans are a darn sight more excited about this signing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/42323094

We have not signed him and gone for Sarginson because.....?

I bet we didn't even know he was available.
. He’s a fullback .
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

jao 711 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
cherry.pie wrote: I'd just like us to make one signing that makes me think 'wow, this guy could really add something to this side', as opposed to 'oh he seems promising, perhaps' or 'oh, look who's back'.
[/

So would I. I bet the Les Cats fans are a darn sight more excited about this signing:

. He’s a fullback .
he can play anywhere across the back line arguably much better than sarge can
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jao 711 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
[/

. He’s a fullback .
As already said he can play anywhere across the back line. And Sarge isn't a centre anyway, as he has proved.

In any case the Wigan of old was always looking to improve the team. If a better player became available in a position that would not stop the club from trying to recruit. Always on the look out for better players. That policy has seemingly been replaced by loyalty to average players.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If you look at it in the cold light of day we are essentially a club who have now started to make a name for ourselves signing failures, because thats what they are, players who have failed where they went. So that is the level of ambition the "greatest" club in the league are showing.

The club are taking the mickey out of fans, in fact the more i think of this the more angry and disenchanted i get!.

Signing a crocked failure who cant pass to save his life is hardly going to help us gain the expansive rugby we are crying out for.

the club are showing borderline contempt for the fans, we arent going to agree with everything they do but they are really pushing fans away from the club at the moment.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Terrible decision! I'm now convinced that Wane and Lenegen have lost the plot. The clubs going down the pan and with it will be losing fans. We needed a signing to excite us not a average former player who is not even a half decent centre. What's the obsession with resigning former players who are crocked Nrl failures. I thought Lenegen was suppose to be a clever business man? He may be balancing the books but as far as taking our great club forward he's failing miserably.