Warriors Sign Sarginson WIGAN RE-SIGN ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL DAN SARGINSON

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Warriors Sign Sarginson WIGAN RE-SIGN ENGLAND INTERNATIONAL DAN SARGINSON

Post by southportcdm »

Southern Softy - I agree that 13 looks good but like me, you're hoping Waney will try Sam at 6. I'm not confident that he will. If Sarge is a direct replacement for Gells I'm not too happy but perhaps he's the best we could get at short notice (but we should have seen it coming). If we get another centre as some have suggested, signing Sarge strengthens our squad and he is a good back up fullback.
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Has anybody heard anything regarding Gelling leaving? If he stays could he be lined up as cover at 13 for OLoughlin that would allow Sarginson back to centre and allow us back row and centre cover from the bench
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jasonnlouise wrote:Has anybody heard anything regarding Gelling leaving? If he stays could he be lined up as cover at 13 for OLoughlin that would allow Sarginson back to centre and allow us back row and centre cover from the bench
If Gells comes back Wane won't have to pick Sarginson. Result!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:
pedro wrote: catalans sign mead, wire sign roberts, hull sign Faraimo we sign.....sarge

Just a point of moderation, and no doubt debate, which of those teams has won a Grand Final, and to stoke the fire, if you recall Warrington have signed a million NRL stars in the last five years or so. And which player had a winning hand in it ?
which stars have they signed? they won the challenge cup twice hull did last year. So do we judge signings on winning trophies in the past? Bear in mind only 4 teams have ever won the grand final.

Exactly - and Wigan's one !

The Aussie players I can recall, in no particular order, as Wolves' quest for Glory are Jamie Sandow (ha!), Mitchell Dodds (ha!), Anderson (now France Lge !), Monaghans(2), M. King, Kurt Gidley, Ben Pomeroy, A. Simms (now Toronto), plus they got Matty Russell back from Gold Coast.

Heaven knows how Mead will go, and how long it'll take him to settle, after the depths of an English winter, coming out of Tropical Q'ld/PNG ?

And for all these top NRL stars, plus Andrew Johns of course, they hardly register on the richter scale ("Warrington's Year Again")!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Apologies, I think I mixed up David Mead for Roberts, who is actually an even bigger risk - had frequent injuries, bit of a loose cannon and passed through two or three clubs down under because of poor form !
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Nezza Faz wrote:Apologies, I think I mixed up David Mead for Roberts, who is actually an even bigger risk - had frequent injuries, bit of a loose cannon and passed through two or three clubs down under because of poor form !
I get your point Nezza i do, but i think the thing is at least Wire show ambition and you cant deny that barring last year the signings they went to make turned them from a mid table club to one that was at the sharp end of the spectrum having got to the finals they werent getting to before and winning trophies they werent winning before.

So while the ultimate goal has alluded them as yet they have certainly improved from were they were say 10 years ago, can the same be said for Wigan

We have had a lot of luck on our side over, on our path to the challenge cup final for example during the double year i cant remember an easier run. Our performances have gone down year on year for the last 3 years at least to an all time low last year. Now wolves also have arguably gone a bit stale culminating in last year but they've identified there's an issue and made wholesale changes - it may work it may not but they tried something and sometimes that's all fans want to see. We can accept a star player getting injured in the first game out for the season, we can accept a maverick player being an issue there's a lot as fans we are willing to put up with, but Wigan fans are not just being ignored but having our intelligence insulted that the club is making changes by signing back old players with the same coach.

Bottom line is while i agree that Wires efforts havent so far paid off toward the ultimate goal, they will eventually - the format of ambition will eventually stick.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:Apologies, I think I mixed up David Mead for Roberts, who is actually an even bigger risk - had frequent injuries, bit of a loose cannon and passed through two or three clubs down under because of poor form !
I get your point Nezza i do, but i think the thing is at least Wire show ambition and you cant deny that barring last year the signings they went to make turned them from a mid table club to one that was at the sharp end of the spectrum having got to the finals they werent getting to before and winning trophies they werent winning before.

So while the ultimate goal has alluded them as yet they have certainly improved from were they were say 10 years ago, can the same be said for Wigan

We have had a lot of luck on our side over, on our path to the challenge cup final for example during the double year i cant remember an easier run. Our performances have gone down year on year for the last 3 years at least to an all time low last year. Now wolves also have arguably gone a bit stale culminating in last year but they've identified there's an issue and made wholesale changes - it may work it may not but they tried something and sometimes that's all fans want to see. We can accept a star player getting injured in the first game out for the season, we can accept a maverick player being an issue there's a lot as fans we are willing to put up with, but Wigan fans are not just being ignored but having our intelligence insulted that the club is making changes by signing back old players with the same coach.

Bottom line is while i agree that Wires efforts havent so far paid off toward the ultimate goal, they will eventually - the format of ambition will eventually stick.

10 years ago, we were knocked out of the CC by Catalans, beaten by Leeds in the playoffs and finished 6th in the league. We were pretty dire.

I'd say we've certainly improved and although last season was generally one to forget, baring the WCC, reckon we are well in with a chance next season with the squad we've got.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:

Wire haven’t sacked anybody other than maybe Tony Smith can’t remember but they are in a position to make wholesale changes due to contracts ending at the same time.

We are not in that position but by all accounts will be similar next season.

Do you think Wigan, IL and SW lack ambition?

Did Steve Price win anything with St George? I don’t quake with him at the healm However it will still be Wires year next year. (So they keep saying ........)
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Fawdoffshed wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Fawdoffshed wrote:Daniel Sarginson: England International. What an accolade. It puzzles me that he has been labelled on here as talentless.
The puzzle was his unwarranted selection for England. Don't expect it to occur again. He was IIRC replaced in the England set up by Percival.

If you want to rely on records and stats as opposed to your own eyes look at his stats in his last season for us. They were awful and back up the opinion of many that he is a poor player.

If all you ever go off is records you can find a long list of players who no one ever rated that ended up with medals and titles. Ricky Bibey being one, with his two CC medals. Sarge is just another in a long line of players who on paper have some impressive stats but in reality are very poor.
How many posters on here have played for their country at any sport, let alone one of the toughest? He has proved that he has talent and it being recognised by being selected to represent England. I wish him well and hope he proves his knockers on here wrong.
How many on here have played for their country at any sport? What sort of a daft question is that? About as many as have played for Wigan RL I'd imagine. None. So what is your point? Unless we have played the game at that level we can't express an opinion about players? Give over!

Why do you think those expressing a negative opinion of him are doing so? Some random reason? No, it's because they have watched the player make numerous mistakes themselves.

He is statistically even worse than Gelling. Most people know I am no fan of his and now he looks to have left we have, unbelievably, actually gone backwards with his replacement.
Have you thought of applying to be Head Coach at Wigan? You appear to know absolutely everything and stated above that..."...Unless we have played the game at that level we can't express an opinion about players? Give over!..."

Why are you shouting? You ALWAYS express your opinions and sometimes I agree with them. However, when I express an opinion, namely that I believe Sarginson is a good player and you don't agree, I don't say you are "daft", as you state that I am.

Also, I've played a number of sports at high level and stats don't give the full picture, which you appear to hang on their very existence. Of course stats are useful, but they're not the be-all and end-all of showing how good, or bad, a player is.

At least I take comfort in Billinger agreeing with my post.

As for my asking how many posters on here have played for their country is not unreasonable. A message board I was a member of some years ago revealed I was actually conversing with a well-known actor, whom my wife and I become good friends with, so who knows, we might be in the midst of greatness. You missed my point that it's not everyone can play, or have the opportunity to play for their country, which someone obviously thought Sarginson deserving, except you of course. You should be a selector, too.

So please let's see you applying for Wane's job and all Wigan's troubles will be over.

You will then have the opportunity to try out The Peter Principle. :D
What's it matter to you fawd? Have you contributed to Sarginson's salary this year?
No need to answer, I already know.
Your comment's would be much better valued if you put your money where your mouth is.
I've said before, I've paid and I'm not happy with the fayre and Dave O is obviously of the same mind. Not as I need to fight his battles but it's like pulling teeth with you.
Perhaps you've been used to being told what to do too much in your life without reasoning or questioning why?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
pedro

Post by pedro »

Nezza Faz wrote:
pedro wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:
Just a point of moderation, and no doubt debate, which of those teams has won a Grand Final, and to stoke the fire, if you recall Warrington have signed a million NRL stars in the last five years or so. And which player had a winning hand in it ?
which stars have they signed? they won the challenge cup twice hull did last year. So do we judge signings on winning trophies in the past? Bear in mind only 4 teams have ever won the grand final.

Exactly - and Wigan's one !

The Aussie players I can recall, in no particular order, as Wolves' quest for Glory are Jamie Sandow (ha!), Mitchell Dodds (ha!), Anderson (now France Lge !), Monaghans(2), M. King, Kurt Gidley, Ben Pomeroy, A. Simms (now Toronto), plus they got Matty Russell back from Gold Coast.

Heaven knows how Mead will go, and how long it'll take him to settle, after the depths of an English winter, coming out of Tropical Q'ld/PNG ?

And for all these top NRL stars, plus Andrew Johns of course, they hardly register on the richter scale ("Warrington's Year Again")!
They finished top of the league and won the CC a few times and was in the grand final. They have hardly been poor have they.

Dodds played twice and broke his leg hardly judge him. weve had as many duds as that but they are high profile and put bums on seats and attract sponsors. Be ok weve got sarge and a lad who never got into the first team in the NRL.