George Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Re: George Williams

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
old hooker wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Well done Wes. For what it is worth, I think that if George can stay fit, if we can retain him and we can get some good forwards to give him room to play in, he will become one of our great half backs.
I love an optimist :roll:
I can assure you that it is much better than being a pessimist.
I was not being facetious and if you think Williams has it in him to become world class you are entitled to, but I cant be that optimistic about him, I dont rate him and think he is vastly overrated.
GBH

Post by GBH »

old hooker wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
old hooker wrote: I love an optimist :roll:
I can assure you that it is much better than being a pessimist.
I was not being facetious and if you think Williams has it in him to become world class you are entitled to, but I cant be that optimistic about him, I dont rate him and think he is vastly overrated.
+1 Couldnt agree more massively over rated how many bad passes does he through either in to the floor or head height
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote:it shows that some of the experts on here don't know diddly :lol:
For once you are correct. Good to see you recognise your own failings! :D
Get rid of Lockers and it will have been a great pre season eh?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Certainly those stats looked much better, particularly in comparison, to what I expected them to be.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
medlocke wrote:it shows that some of the experts on here don't know diddly :lol:
For once you are correct. Good to see you recognise your own failings! :D
Get rid of Lockers and it will have been a great pre season eh?
But i've never claimed to be an expert, just a pesamistic fan :lol: P.S would rather we went into a season without Lockers than lose him a third of the way through and the rest of the season go tits up, he's got to retire sometime
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

George has a real good running game and a decent grubber.

He needs to get more strings to his bow or we need to sign a half with a great organising/kicking game.

The stats individually are very good, however, it does highlight how poor he is at kicking.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

AdamMac wrote:George has a real good running game and a decent grubber.

He needs to get more strings to his bow or we need to sign a half with a great organising/kicking game.

The stats individually are very good, however, it does highlight how poor he is at kicking.
I agree, his kicking game is average at best, and that's being kind. It's something he really needs to work on if he is to develop into a world class halfback. It's also one of the reasons I suggested Escare at #6 as he has a very good long kicking game, leaving Sam to organise and run his attacking lines from fullback.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

No straw damn us wrote:

I agree, his kicking game is average at best, and that's being kind. It's something he really needs to work on if he is to develop into a world class halfback. It's also one of the reasons I suggested Escare at #6 as he has a very good long kicking game, leaving Sam to organise and run his attacking lines from fullback.
Making the best use Escare will be key to salvaging anything from this season IMO. He was brilliant for us before his injury he was managing games with his kicks for tocuh and cropping up everywhere on the pitch

Id be inclined to leave him at 1 because i think he can still provide a kicking game from there and his pace is a real threat on kick returns.

One of Sams most undesirable traits since he returned is his reluctance to run the ball back from kick returns, he would often wait for a winger to drop back and pass rather than run it back himself. This means we start sets 10-20m from where we would had he just belted it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:

Making the best use Escare will be key to salvaging anything from this season IMO. He was brilliant for us before his injury he was managing games with his kicks for tocuh and cropping up everywhere on the pitch

Id be inclined to leave him at 1 because i think he can still provide a kicking game from there and his pace is a real threat on kick returns.

One of Sams most undesirable traits since he returned is his reluctance to run the ball back from kick returns, he would often wait for a winger to drop back and pass rather than run it back himself. This means we start sets 10-20m from where we would had he just belted it
You gain a good kick returner in Escare, but lose a passing game when he joins the line, he's also not as good defensively as sam at full back.

It seemed to me that he was just getting his bearings and timing prior to getting injured, as he was often just off the pace when joining the line for us, albeit I was still very impressed with his contribution.

I think Sam sheer will to win and competitivness will commit serveral defenders when he's playng in the halves and that will suit us.