Marquee Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Marquee Players

Post by NICKYKISS »

There would’ve been far more fans with an issue had either not been made marquee players and then turned up at Wire (in either Williams or Tomkins case)or in the NRL (in Williams case).

It’s easy to be wise after the event. We can’t moan Lenagan is a tight wad then complain that we’ve given marquee contracts to the wrong two players. Had 99.9% of fans been in Lenagans shoes and had the chance to sign Tomkins back or give a youngster, who at the time, was terrorising the league a marquee deal I think they would.

They’ve not worked out for varying reasons and to varying degrees of success yet but there’s time. I think we’ll see both much improved this year.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

NICKYKISS wrote:There would’ve been far more fans with an issue had either not been made marquee players and then turned up at Wire (in either Williams or Tomkins case)or in the NRL (in Williams case).

It’s easy to be wise after the event. We can’t moan Lenagan is a tight wad then complain that we’ve given marquee contracts to the wrong two players. Had 99.9% of fans been in Lenagans shoes and had the chance to sign Tomkins back or give a youngster, who at the time, was terrorising the league a marquee deal I think they would.

They’ve not worked out for varying reasons and to varying degrees of success yet but there’s time. I think we’ll see both much improved this year.
Don’t wanna sound a pain but I wasn’t to bothered about signing Sam. I watched him in the NRL and went ok but you could see the injuries had really affected his pace, which was one of his main attributes for joining the line out wide and making a break.
I’m still happy for him to be back but feel he shouldn’t be one of our marquee players.
Think we could of used it for someone else
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Williams simply shouldn’t be a marquee player,his performances simply don’t warrant it,indeed he went backwards last season alarmingly,it was supposed to to be a system of allowing clubs to bring the best into the British game,honestly Williams,at the moment simply isn’t that at the present time,the club panicked and offered a contract he simply isn’t worth at this time.

He may in time turn into a world class player,but he isn’t yet.

Sam is a marquee player,to me the poster boy of the system correctly brought back into the game on top money because his “fame” warranted it,that he’s been blighted by poor form and injuries is another matter for another day.
But who would you have instead of Williams as the marquee player?
Maybe Bateman.
I think he may leave to NRL in 2019.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote: Maybe Bateman.
This has been alluded to several times already by other posters.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t come to pass!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

josie andrews wrote:

And Josie?
Are people not allowed to discuss this just because it's been mentioned previous !!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
josie andrews wrote:

And Josie?
Are people not allowed to discuss this just because it's been mentioned previous !!
If you fully read my post Mike, I am saying that a lot of posters have mentioned it as well as yourself, hence my second comment!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I'd disagree giving Sam T marquee status he is nowhere near what he was before he went to Aus. Lets hope he improves for 2018.

Id simply have George Williams and Bateman... I believe Bateman should be our long term Wigan Captain at #13
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ancientnloyal wrote:I'd disagree giving Sam T marquee status he is nowhere near what he was before he went to Aus. Lets hope he improves for 2018.

Id simply have George Williams and Bateman... I believe Bateman should be our long term Wigan Captain at #13
Williams has done very little deserve the marquee status same for Sam Tomkins. Difference is Sam has proven his abilities Williams has not. Neither should be on so much money. Sam Tomkins at the age Williams is now was terrorising SL. Williams was not even ahead of Brown in the England squad. Williams is so over rated he is becoming the New Hampshire to a degree.

Sam Tomkins has 3 months or so to prove he deserves to be on so much money or his next big pay packet could be at Salford or Widnes. Tomkins I believe will prove his value after a full pre season. Williams I do not have faith in.

I would have Bateman and any quality NRL half on major money. Giving marquee money to Williams for not allegedly going to Wire or the NRL was a mistake. At 23 he needs to show he is a class half.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Bateman would be a complete waste of a marquee spot. He is whole hearted and looks mean, but is no better than Faz at 12, and lacks the size and skill to do what Lockers can do. Assuming Sam ceases to be one at the end of the year, his replacement should be a Robbie Farah type and calibre of player.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

thegimble wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:I'd disagree giving Sam T marquee status he is nowhere near what he was before he went to Aus. Lets hope he improves for 2018.

Williams has done very little deserve the marquee status same for Sam Tomkins. Difference is Sam has proven his abilities Williams has not. Neither should be on so much money. Sam Tomkins at the age Williams is now was terrorising SL. Williams was not even ahead of Brown in the England squad. Williams is so over rated he is becoming the New Hampshire to a degree.

Sam Tomkins has 3 months or so to prove he deserves to be on so much money or his next big pay packet could be at Salford or Widnes. Tomkins I believe will prove his value after a full pre season. Williams I do not have faith in.

I would have Bateman and any quality NRL half on major money. Giving marquee money to Williams for not allegedly going to Wire or the NRL was a mistake. At 23 he needs to show he is a class half.

Whilst I agree that Williams has been found wanting during the last season, there is no doubting his obvious talent.

I think he has been put in a no win situation by the club and the fans. The club obviously couldn't allow George to leave as the backlash from the fans would have been biblical. Saying that, George hasn't had the best season but is that also down to the club and their playing style which imo hasn't and doesn't suit Georges style of Maverick play.

Imagine if George had gone to Wire or Saints and had ripped us apart on a regular basis there would have been uproar.

Williams is playing a maverick style of play in a too structured team, how many times do we see him run a line only to have no runners?, how many times is he tackled with the ball because we have no one running any dummy lines to create any gaps?, how many tackles as a half back does he make each game?

I think for George to shine we need our offence to be less structured to allow our strike players the freedom to show what they can do, and that starts with the forwards being allowed to be forwards again!! Only then will we see George showing us what a marquee player looks like!!!

Unfortunately after reading Wanes Q and A in the paper where he states that he likes the way modern wingers are used more in taking the ball up, we'll see more of the same structures as last season and more of a frustrated and shackled half back pairing!!!

Hope I'm wrong
Matt