Tonights Game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Re: Tonights Game

Post by First Try Tickle »

First of all the game should have been delayed, the motorway was shocking and I bet 1000 missed the kick off.

We started slow, maybe waiting for the fans, but really ran riot in the second half.

I thought Sam ran the show, especially when he went to half back. Escare looked good linking up. Gildart was fantastic as was Marshall. Forwards all did OK, nice to see a full game from Joel, who looked lively.

I thought Powell struggled at 7 especially in defence which surprised me. Sarge was poor, Gildart really showing how to play centre, but Faz helped that side. Thought Isa struggled at loose, pity Sutton couldn't play longer as he was looking good.

Great turnout by the Wigan fans, surprised how many on here didn't go. :o
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Sam in the halves with Escare at fb and the pace was something Salford didn't have an answer to.
Looked fast, fluid, well organised and all that without Lockers.
I've not seen us play that well without Lockers for some considerable time.
A very good win but Salford were shown up in the 2nd half.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

First Try Tickle wrote:First of all the game should have been delayed, the motorway was shocking and I bet 1000 missed the kick off.

We started slow, maybe waiting for the fans, but really ran riot in the second half.

I thought Sam ran the show, especially when he went to half back. Escare looked good linking up. Gildart was fantastic as was Marshall. Forwards all did OK, nice to see a full game from Joel, who looked lively.

I thought Powell struggled at 7 especially in defence which surprised me. Sarge was poor, Gildart really showing how to play centre, but Faz helped that side. Thought Isa struggled at loose, pity Sutton couldn't play longer as he was looking good.

Great turnout by the Wigan fans, surprised how many on here didn't go. :o
I went on the coach, put off driving by talk about the traffic, but by the time I'd got in and bought a pint still missed Salford's first score. Luckily, they didn' offer much after that.

Escaré, ST, and all the left edge very good, Sarge not so much. Overall, better than I expected and a very good run out for the first game of the season.

Pie rating: I'm a veggie, so had to make do with cheese pasty, but on that basis, better than the DW. :tong:
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

The contrast in the game when Powell and Williams in the halfs and Sam at fullback compared to Williams and Sam in the halfs with Escare at fullback is black and white. I have to admit I was bored in the first half I thought we played exactly the same as last season. Then came the switch around and boom........the speed of the Wigan side picked up, Escare was everywhere with Sam and George calling all the shots and I thought when Powell went to hooker he looked sharp and got the ball out quickly and precisely.

Imo Wane needs to drop this big switch around and start with Sam and George in the halves with Escare at fullback as it obviously works, let the players get a feel for each other and so stop unnecessary changes as all the other coaches would soon wise up to it anyway.

First half a damp squid, second half electric, but Salford also looked a tired rudderless team, Wigan did what they needed to in that second half.

Well done the boys

Matt
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't disagree with much of that, but Salford were at least competitive in the first half, but fell away badly in the second. We certainly looked good with ST in the halves and Morgan at full-back. Really pleased for Marshall; although he missed a couple of tackles in the first half, he showed what a fine and skillful finisher he is.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

adiddy wrote:The contrast in the game when Powell and Williams in the halfs and Sam at fullback compared to Williams and Sam in the halfs with Escare at fullback is black and white. I have to admit I was bored in the first half I thought we played exactly the same as last season. Then came the switch around and boom........the speed of the Wigan side picked up, Escare was everywhere with Sam and George calling all the shots and I thought when Powell went to hooker he looked sharp and got the ball out quickly and precisely.

Imo Wane needs to drop this big switch around and start with Sam and George in the halves with Escare at fullback as it obviously works, let the players get a feel for each other and so stop unnecessary changes as all the other coaches would soon wise up to it anyway.

First half a damp squid, second half electric, but Salford also looked a tired rudderless team, Wigan did what they needed to in that second half.

Well done the boys

Matt
I think that is a fair summation Matt. If we want Powell at 7 then he needs to lose a few pounds. Our front row will need to perform better. Sutty will be a star in Aus, he was easily our best forward tonight. Barba, Sam or George for MoS.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

All has really been said, a very good second half performance but we cant get away from the fact that Salford will probably be down in the basement at the end of the season.Sam was superb and ran the show for me, Escare added a bit of pace when he came on and the forwards were good without being great.Sarge though proved he is no centre.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Sams kicking was spot on. One thing I did notice was a routine he seemed to have before any kick which was cleaning the sole of his boots and freeing up his studs. Sometimes he sat down to do it. Maybe it’s the kicking coach who’s installed a routine mentality into sam.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

oldhooker wrote:All has really been said, a very good second half performance but we cant get away from the fact that Salford will probably be down in the basement at the end of the season.Sam was superb and ran the show for me, Escare added a bit of pace when he came on and the forwards were good without being great.Sarge though proved he is no centre.

I must have watched a different game to a few on here Cant see what Sarge did wrong played well in defence and made Davies try. He was not great but did as much as most on last night. I am not enthralled with his signing but at least willing to give him a break first game for gods sake.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I thought Powell started the game quite brightly tbh and was organising the team pretty well. The one thing the tactic of starting him should do is to keep us tighter defensively whilst the opposition are fresh before we bring an energised Escare on to run at tiring bodies. I was pleased Wane only waited 25 mins or so to make the switch around because I feared it may be a bit of a token gesture tactic and we’d only use it for 10/15 mins per game.

Going forward we’ll hopefully be flexible with it and have a look at things like starting with Escare at 1 and Sam at 7 or giving Ganson and Shorrocks a run off the bench.