Wigan Scouting Aussie Talent

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Wigan Scouting Aussie Talent

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote:People moan when the NRL take our talent ....
Don't you? You might understand why they can but you are not happy about it surely?
People moan when we take them back .....
For the obvious reason so far none of them have come back better players, all worse though it looks like Sam T might break the clubs duck on that score which is good.
People moan when we try and take their talent .....
No they don't. The issue here is why invest in young Aussie players who will go back to the NRL? On the other hand if we find another George Carmont who can add some experience I'd be quite happy not least because....
People moan when we try to have a team full of wiganers .....
The above is a pipe dream but we want the non-Wigan produced players to be ready made, not more projects.
Common denominator
You misunderstanding what people are complaining about.
It seems like running one of the biggest clubs in the world is a thankless task for those that are involved, whilst the armchair experts sit at home spouting what a bad job is being done at every turn.
When has it ever been any different? Fans have opinions on what their club does. Man City drew 1 - 1 with Burnley last week and if you looked on the Internet you'd have seen calls to sell Sterling off because he missed a sitter. Sports forums are like that. If you want to spin everything the club does as a positive that is up to you.
Maybe you could do a better job Dave? Why don’t you put yourself forward with a few fans off here and attempt a Salford style take over?
Here we go again with the mind-numbingly stupid ad-hominem argument. You don't need to be a chef to offer an opinion on whether the chef has cooked the food well. Why don't you ask me when I am applying for the coaches job? Did you forget that one?
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Common denominator

People moan!!!!!!!

It seems like running one of the biggest clubs in the world is a thankless task for those that are involved, whilst the armchair experts sit at home spouting what a bad job is being done at every turn.

Maybe you could do a better job Dave? Why don’t you put yourself forward with a few fans off here and attempt a Salford style take over?
With you there Wes all the way.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Firestarter wrote:I thought we were looking at signing players who played in the world cup?
Wrong, we are looking to sign players who are cheap :(
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I did read that somewher OH but nothing seemed too happen...... its like they are trying too convince us fans that its part of the plan too go to aus
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I thought I recognised your style of posting - you are whelley warrior!!!
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
medlocke wrote:
The NRL have enough talent, why do they need to take ours and weaken SL

People wouldn't moan if we only brought back improved players rather than injured or failed players

Not got a problem what so ever about bringing young Aussies over as long as the pay the club back for the time and effort the club has invested in them by staying at the club for more than 3 seasons

A team full of Wiganers is a non starter, a pipe dream, it would be nice to have if players of the right standard where available, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon
It's a business, each team wants better players than they have got now. They need to make choices given that they are controlled by a salary cap - e.g. do we pay our Australian winger £650k or should we sign two players from England for £650k. If you had the option of signing Valentine Holmes or signing Ryan Hall and Alex Walmsley, what would you do?

Rather than bringing Sam, Budgie, Sarge and Tommy back who would you have signed?

We could sign young Aussies on three, four or five year deals but how do we know if they will make it?
J Lomax, P Ah Van, J Carney, T Carney

As for the Aussie youngsters, treat them like our own, give them an initial contract with clauses and options for extensions etc, it's not rocket science
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote:
medlocke wrote: The NRL have enough talent, why do they need to take ours and weaken SL

People wouldn't moan if we only brought back improved players rather than injured or failed players

Not got a problem what so ever about bringing young Aussies over as long as the pay the club back for the time and effort the club has invested in them by staying at the club for more than 3 seasons

A team full of Wiganers is a non starter, a pipe dream, it would be nice to have if players of the right standard where available, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon
It's a business, each team wants better players than they have got now. They need to make choices given that they are controlled by a salary cap - e.g. do we pay our Australian winger £650k or should we sign two players from England for £650k. If you had the option of signing Valentine Holmes or signing Ryan Hall and Alex Walmsley, what would you do?

Rather than bringing Sam, Budgie, Sarge and Tommy back who would you have signed?

We could sign young Aussies on three, four or five year deals but how do we know if they will make it?

As for the Aussie youngsters, treat them like our own, give them an initial contract with clauses and options for extensions etc, it's not rocket science
How many of those were available at the time our guys returned?

Their youngsters are already better paid so it would need to be rocket science!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

medlocke wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: It's a business, each team wants better players than they have got now. They need to make choices given that they are controlled by a salary cap - e.g. do we pay our Australian winger £650k or should we sign two players from England for £650k. If you had the option of signing Valentine Holmes or signing Ryan Hall and Alex Walmsley, what would you do?

How many of those were available at the time our guys returned?

Their youngsters are already better paid so it would need to be rocket science!
Everybody is available, Surely you should know that Mr Lenagan, after all you did sell some of our players mid contract :thum:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I read with interest in Wigan Today that if Batty and Sutty go to Oz at the end of the season Wane is not bothered because we can make another player.
Is he on a wind up or is he just too numb to realise that fans expect to lose players but don't want reminding about it!?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:
Don't you? You might understand why they can but you are not happy about it surely?

No, its wasted energy and it will not change the situation.
For the obvious reason so far none of them have come back better players, all worse though it looks like Sam T might break the clubs duck on that score which is good.

It’s an obvious route to take though when they left as good players given that we moan at no signings and relying on our academy or signing projects. Surely you can see the sense in taking that chance.
No they don't. The issue here is why invest in young Aussie players who will go back to the NRL? On the other hand if we find another George Carmont who can add some experience I'd be quite happy not least because....

Pretty sure you moaned on more than one occasion about signing Hamlin over using our own youth. He’s a talent that was recommended, people moaned none the less.
The above is a pipe dream but we want the non-Wigan produced players to be ready made, not more projects.

Pipe dream or not people moan when there is a lack of signings yet surely to reach this pipe dream we need to keep promoting from within, not making signings.
Common denominator
You misunderstanding what people are complaining about.

No you think I misunderstand, that’s at your peril not mine, I couldn’t care less if you misjudge me.
When has it ever been any different? Fans have opinions on what their club does. Man City drew 1 - 1 with Burnley last week and if you looked on the Internet you'd have seen calls to sell Sterling off because he missed a sitter. Sports forums are like that. If you want to spin everything the club does as a positive that is up to you.

Be honest Dave this is one of the most negative forums I’ve been on, the whinging is from the same people time and again. I dont spin everything as a positive but surely even you can admit the club do some good stuff?
Here we go again with the mind-numbingly stupid ad-hominem argument. You don't need to be a chef to offer an opinion on whether the chef has cooked the food well. Why don't you ask me when I am applying for the coaches job? Did you forget that one?
Don’t let your arrogance shine through Dave, your a mod and should lead by example its a shame you do not.