Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yokozuna

Re: Tonights game

Post by yokozuna »

fozzieskem wrote:
yokozuna wrote:
Firestarter wrote:Had to laff at barrie macs comments about joels passes mostly coming off...... the mind boggles
...or on how Atkins didn't play at that ball.
Right in front of me that drop it was harder to drop it than score
Oh, that was shocking. But I was on about the one that Gildart kicked on the last, and Atkins 100% played at the ball, the ref agreed, but Hicks on the video decided that the ball somehow played him - scrum to Warrington!
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Not read any previous comments prior to me posting this because i don't want my view to be swayed but here is my take on what i have just witnessed.

That was right up there with one of the worst (bar the last 15 mins) performances i have seen from a Wigan side. I am not talking about 2005-2006 when we virtually played the youth team for the big drubbings but this is a team full of high earning players. I will cut them some slack though because i have thought all week that we would lose this game. The time differences and jet lag was always going to be the biggest opponent tonight but i thought it would be the other way around. i thought we would start well and then ebb out of the game but we did it in reverse. I don't think it was much a case of us starting to play well i think it was more that Warrington had played at 100mph for 65 mins and just ran out of fuel. From what i have seen so far Sam Powell at 7 is an absolute passenger, he just does nothing. Less than Matty Smith in fact. Tommy L is just too far past his best (oh for a scampering hooker) I was begging on't t'other board in the winter that we should be making a cash strapped Widnes an offer for Danny Walker, he could develop into something special here. He doesn't fit into 'one of the boys' category though, he isn't a sh*thouse is he? Wane reverted back to type tonight, all the talk in the off season about learning from mistakes and playing expansive rugby was just talk to save his skin. All i saw tonight was give it to ineffective props to plod up the middle and then kick it towards Lineham... yeah good idea that one. Thought Sam, Marshall and Davies tried their best to get us moving forward but how many times in a match can you do that from your own line. Escare looked like he could create something when he came on. Joel effectively cost us any chance of a comeback with that pathetic offload. Bateman tried but Davies might as well have been sat in the stands for all the service he got. Lockers was just Lockers and Farrell looked like he just wanted to go hunting from minute 1. I will forgive them that performance though but i don't want a repeat.

What i will say though is, If that is the best Warrington can do after 65 minutes of super intense attacking pressure to beat a team in our circumstances by only 6 points then they can enjoy this win because frankly Featherstone would have given us a game tonight. If that is the best they can come up with then they are in for a loooong season. The chanting from their fans was extremely embarrassing and just showed them for what they are and always have been. They can have that victory tonight, i hope they enjoy it because 'their year' will have to wait for at least another season.
**Like**
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Comments above confirm that you see events through your own predetermined views. Here are mine:

Wire played well for 65 mins. We struggled to get momentum, possibly due in some part to jet-lag. Our kicking game was poor. We weren't helped by 3 bad decisions (and it's extremely rare I comment on referees).

Our comeback showed tremendous spirit and makes me think we'll be up there challenging for trophies this year.

The last football match I went to was in the early 80s when West Ham beat Everton in, presumably, a cup semi-final at Elland Road. The Everton fans stayed at the end to sing "We're proud of you" to their team despite the loss. I was proud of our lads tonight - sure, some mistakes, but it showed guts to hang in and then come back like we did.

I just wish we had more fans like Everton's.

Oh and Tony Clubb was fantastic, even before the try.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Firestarter wrote:SW comments were harsh....WE WERE SOFT AND DIDNT COMPETE.....I WONT PUT UP WITH THIS AGAIN....... well im afraid i( along with many others)said we wouldnt put up with your s@@t tactics for the last couple ov seasons......its same same same as soon as we go behind.... our forwards very rarely go
forward...... we have small backs getting smashed( doing the forwards work)and our kicking game must be the worst in the league...... oooh and our left too right attack is awful
he put up with it all last year
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Didn't get it at all!
We knew Wire would start at 100 mph so when we kicked why did we kick it to their back three and not put it into touch a scrum and slow down their pace. Ratchford had a field day with his kick returns.

They tackled well but for an hour we never looked like scoring.
That last 10-15 mins when we were in their 30 mtrs we looked clueless at times.

As for Wire, if that's the best the best they can do a win by 3 tries to 2 then they've more problems than we have I think.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington 16 - Wigan Warriors 10

Well I didn’t think we did too bad really. They only beat us by six points.
Both teams scored two try’s & four of Warrington’s sixteen points were from penalties

If that’s Wire at their best......

We were always gonna have a hangover from the Aussie trip, don’t care how good our backroom staff are, to come & play a physical game with the short turnaround as well was always gonna be a big ask & I didn’t expect a win.

Their fans!! Well it was like a cup final to them ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote:Warrington 16 - Wigan Warriors 10

Well I didn’t think we did too bad really. They only beat us by six points.
Both teams scored two try’s & four of Warrington’s sixteen points were from penalties

If that’s Wire at their best......

We were always gonna have a hangover from the Aussie trip, don’t care how good our backroom staff are, to come & play a physical game with the short turnaround as well was always gonna be a big ask & I didn’t expect a win.

Their fans!! Well it was like a cup final to them ????
It was two try’s each Ted. They converted both & kicked two penalties ????
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Not read any previous comments prior to me posting this because i don't want my view to be swayed but here is my take on what i have just witnessed.

That was right up there with one of the worst (bar the last 15 mins) performances i have seen from a Wigan side. I am not talking about 2005-2006 when we virtually played the youth team for the big drubbings but this is a team full of high earning players. I will cut them some slack though because i have thought all week that we would lose this game. The time differences and jet lag was always going to be the biggest opponent tonight but i thought it would be the other way around. i thought we would start well and then ebb out of the game but we did it in reverse. I don't think it was much a case of us starting to play well i think it was more that Warrington had played at 100mph for 65 mins and just ran out of fuel. From what i have seen so far Sam Powell at 7 is an absolute passenger, he just does nothing. Less than Matty Smith in fact. Tommy L is just too far past his best (oh for a scampering hooker) I was begging on't t'other board in the winter that we should be making a cash strapped Widnes an offer for Danny Walker, he could develop into something special here. He doesn't fit into 'one of the boys' category though, he isn't a sh*thouse is he? Wane reverted back to type tonight, all the talk in the off season about learning from mistakes and playing expansive rugby was just talk to save his skin. All i saw tonight was give it to ineffective props to plod up the middle and then kick it towards Lineham... yeah good idea that one. Thought Sam, Marshall and Davies tried their best to get us moving forward but how many times in a match can you do that from your own line. Escare looked like he could create something when he came on. Joel effectively cost us any chance of a comeback with that pathetic offload. Bateman tried but Davies might as well have been sat in the stands for all the service he got. Lockers was just Lockers and Farrell looked like he just wanted to go hunting from minute 1. I will forgive them that performance though but i don't want a repeat.

What i will say though is, If that is the best Warrington can do after 65 minutes of super intense attacking pressure to beat a team in our circumstances by only 6 points then they can enjoy this win because frankly Featherstone would have given us a game tonight. If that is the best they can come up with then they are in for a loooong season. The chanting from their fans was extremely embarrassing and just showed them for what they are and always have been. They can have that victory tonight, i hope they enjoy it because 'their year' will have to wait for at least another season.

Most definitely this!!!!

And a question.........is Wane not playing Hamlin or Navarrette because they are go forward forwards and like to run it in hard unlike our first choice who usually receive the ball stood still?? How long before Wane destroys their running game too??

Matt
Wes

Post by Wes »

Really though we missed hardaker tonight! ????
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It was bloody freezing there tonight! ❄️❄️ Summer rugby ????????

I don’t remember it being this cold when we actually played in Winter