Wigan to sign 'Widnes star'

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan to sign 'Widnes star'

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wiganer Ted wrote:In the League Weekly Parker says we are after LLoyd White at Widnes.
It suggest that Tommy L will retire and White would play 9 allowing Ganson to gain game time over a couple of seasons until he's ready to take over at 9.
I know it's Parker but there does seem sense in that.
It doesn't to me he is no better than what we have got. Why create opportunities for young players and then prevent their path into the first team by signing White. Now if you told me we were signing Danny Walker I may have a different view.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:And when the answer to that is, we can't, because we don't have the cap space?
If that is true we have some seriously overpaid players and neither of them are Sam T or George W given either only £75K or £100K of their wage counts on the cap.

The cap goes on your top 25 earners so that means 23 players (as in the rest bar Sam and George) are sharing £1.8m. That's an average wage of £78K each.

Outside the players with number 1 to 19 (that is 18 players as 18 is the fans number) we have Escare, Manfredi, Marshall, Ganson, Shorrocks, Navarrette and Wells taking us to no 26. Hamlin is in at 30 and Woods at 34 so maybe these two are cap players instead of Shorrocks and Wells but whatever, I can't see any of them them commanding anything close to £78K. So who, outside of Lockers and Bateman in the 18 players is worth more than £78K?
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

DaveO wrote:
moto748 wrote:And when the answer to that is, we can't, because we don't have the cap space?
If that is true we have some seriously overpaid players and neither of them are Sam T or George W given either only £75K or £100K of their wage counts on the cap.

The cap goes on your top 25 earners so that means 23 players (as in the rest bar Sam and George) are sharing £1.8m. That's an average wage of £78K each.

Outside the players with number 1 to 19 (that is 18 players as 18 is the fans number) we have Escare, Manfredi, Marshall, Ganson, Shorrocks, Navarrette and Wells taking us to no 26. Hamlin is in at 30 and Woods at 34 so maybe these two are cap players instead of Shorrocks and Wells but whatever, I can't see any of them them commanding anything close to £78K. So who, outside of Lockers and Bateman in the 18 players is worth more than £78K?
out of interest then using the squad for Leeds put a salary sum against each player and a pool left for the rest . Let’s see how you would divey it up and how easy it is.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

My understanding is that the salary cap of each team is constantly monitored therefore prior to he start of the season we would have been under the cap or at the cap limit. We then lost Gelling, MM and FPN and signed Sarge so logic tells me that we have money to play with unless we have given new contracts/additional payments to players in the squad which equate to those savings.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fujiman wrote:
DaveO wrote:

out of interest then using the squad for Leeds put a salary sum against each player and a pool left for the rest . Let’s see how you would divey it up and how easy it is.
Why would I bother doing that? I already made my point. If we are out of cap space then some players are on very high wages given you would not expect the more junior players in the squad to be on even the average wage. The club has either decided to pay the likes of those I mention above a very high salary for junior players or if it's not, it's paying squad players like Isa and TT over the odds. Powell supposedly got a big pay increase and I bet Tommy who is on his last legs is on a fair wack as well.