Straw Poll

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Straw Poll

Post by ian.birchall »

Firestarter wrote:Sam had stopped running the ball half way through his last season with us, prior to his move........
Not so much stopped running with the ball as the fact that he spent the second half of that last season out of action with this knee injury. Many fans will remember turning up to game after game having seen him included on the team sheet only to find out it was a cruel ruse to get us through the turnstiles and he had failed a late fitness test but being told 'he will be playing next week', not.....
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If he takes the Catalans money for 4 years and runs off to the middle 8s, he will have made millions over the 10 year period after the point at which he stopped being ta runningthreat and turned into an injury prone semi creative player. That is a quite incredible amount of money for the occasional influential performance.
The more confident I am that Lockers is good to go in 2019, the more excited I am at the prospect of a Sam-less team going from strength to strength. With another marquee place, plus the money saved from getting shut of McIllorum and FPN, we may even be able to re-sign Gildart and Bateman, sign Hardaker and an NRL half back. Which would leave us even stronger as our young players develop. As ever with these things, it is only when we see the full picture that we can appreciate whether we have done good business.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:If he takes the Catalans money for 4 years and runs off to the middle 8s, he will have made millions over the 10 year period after the point at which he stopped being ta runningthreat and turned into an injury prone semi creative player. That is a quite incredible amount of money for the occasional influential performance.
The more confident I am that Lockers is good to go in 2019, the more excited I am at the prospect of a Sam-less team going from strength to strength. With another marquee place, plus the money saved from getting shut of McIllorum and FPN, we may even be able to re-sign Gildart and Bateman, sign Hardaker and an NRL half back. Which would leave us even stronger as our young players develop. As ever with these things, it is only when we see the full picture that we can appreciate whether we have done good business.
Don't forget Greenwood :o
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If Bateman stays, we won’t need Greenwood will we?
What I would love to see would be a Robbie Farah type player. Signing a canny Aussie play maker, like Jason Smith at Hull, our own Blake Green, Robert Lui at Salford would round out the squad perfectly.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

As long as it's not literally Robbie Farah! :lol:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Cas 41-0 Catalans this afternoon.
Makes me wonder if when Les Dragons lose to Toronto in the £million game in September IL will release him to Toronto or perhaps Warrington or heaven forbid the Rhinos?

Oh and shame about Stains at Wakey this afternoon.????
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Catalans will be bottom of the League if they remain with McNamara as coach. Get rid and a good appointment could get them up the League table and far too in the MPG.
There could well be a restructure which could mean a 14 club SL next year and Catalans would survive anyway.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: There could well be a restructure which could mean a 14 club SL next year and Catalans would survive anyway.
I think you may have nailed it there! Been seeing comments on FB all day about how the RFL will 'fiddle' it to ensure Cats stay safely in SL (and Sam with them) somehow. But of course, they couldn't be too bare-faced about it, and have it really look like protection of Cats was the reason. And, to be fair, few people like the current set-up. Going to 14 teams hardly seems a good idea on the face of it, though; it's four more games when we already play too many. If I had my way, play-offs would be top 5, winners to straight to OT, the next four play off to see who meets them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I like the 14 team SL. 13 games home and 13 away. Get rid of Magic or do something else with it. Maybe switch the C Cup last 16 to Magic having 4 games each day.
Play off to be top four, 1 v 4 then 2 v 3 winners to GF.

I think that's more workable than top 5 with top to GF and others playing off. Two weeks off could mean the top team going out of form and be at a disadvantage.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Sam played again in NZ but too soon and aggravated the injury and missed the rest of the season.That is when he was signed ,with a release by NZ Warriors and a fee,but still in recovery.