Wigan v Cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Wigan v Cas

Post by Southern Softy »

Cas looked really out of sorts - especially Gale and spent the entire second half trying to con penalties. Maybe they got caught up in Powell's feud with Wane. I hope we make fewer mistakes next week, we should have romped it by more points.
A word about Gildart - his follow-up play for Budgie's two breaks was of the highest class, especially the second when you could see him telling Budgie that he was switching from outside to inside to take the ball. I know the tries were simple to score but what went before was really good.
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Budgie i had as MOM[many close for it though] and i think he looks abit heavy.Hes Lost a yard or he isnt 100% yet.Was Gail playing for Cas or just turned up to go into the odd tackle high,narked & late.
Webster had an absolute Mare tbf.Great footballer,but everything he did went wrong.
My unsung hero was Willy Isa[again]for Wigan and Clubb.

Best display this season or me so far.Cas are a quality outfit and we never looked troubled by them.
4G
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Burgess has lost a yard or two of pace, but he has bulked up and got stronger. Without that extra size and strength I doubt he would have gone through those tackles to make the breaks leading up to the tries, and don't forget he's got the ball in his hand which slows him down a bit.
And just a word for the much criticised Sam Powell 35 tackles and 0 missed.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

[quote=" a word for the much criticised Sam Powell 35 tackles and 0 missed.[/quote]I remember the first time Lockers put in 35 tackles, many on this site praised him like he was the messiah, i bet those same fans who still use the site don't say a word about Powell
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

No straw damn us wrote:Burgess has lost a yard or two of pace, but he has bulked up and got stronger. Without that extra size and strength I doubt he would have gone through those tackles to make the breaks leading up to the tries, and don't forget he's got the ball in his hand which slows him down a bit.
But is that all that we are looking for in a player in that position? I want quick and accurate passing, good decision-making, metres gained from the play the ball and smart tactical kicking. His kicking was generally better last night, mostly, I think, because Cas didn't put any of our kickers under much pressure but he's never going to change his passing style at this stage of his career. He's a highly useful squad player (like Isa) but I feel that we would be better with Sam, Escare and Tommy as the spine. Thought Tommy had one of his best games last night.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

The way Sam T played tonight made me think he doesn’t want to go.Fingers crossed.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:Burgess has lost a yard or two of pace, but he has bulked up and got stronger. Without that extra size and strength I doubt he would have gone through those tackles to make the breaks leading up to the tries, and don't forget he's got the ball in his hand which slows him down a bit.
But is that all that we are looking for in a player in that position? I want quick and accurate passing, good decision-making, metres gained from the play the ball and smart tactical kicking. His kicking was generally better last night, mostly, I think, because Cas didn't put any of our kickers under much pressure but he's never going to change his passing style at this stage of his career. He's a highly useful squad player (like Isa) but I feel that we would be better with Sam, Escare and Tommy as the spine. Thought Tommy had one of his best games last night.
Exactly. No one criticizes Powell for his tackling but that really isn't what he's there for. I also thought Tommy had a good game. Seemed really up for it.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

DaveO wrote:Well I have just got back having negotiated my way out of the car park, (one gate shut for some stupid reason) and the slip road at Orrell closed diverting me north! Just as well then I had a thoroughly enjoyable night at the DW. :)

That was a good win and easily the best at the DW so far this season because Cas are a good side and not one you are going to stick 40 on.

A proper rugby league game at last.

The tannoy was bust (but no one must have told anybody because it kept going all match!) so I am not sure who MoM was, I put the radio on in the car and on Radio Manc Alan Hunt said it was Gildart but I'd have gone for Budgie for his long range efforts or Sam T who I felt was our most influential player by far.

Negatives? Half backs still a problem. Both trying too hard for me and forcing passes. Also penalties. As I said at half time their two tries came after they got field position from penalties and we were fortunate in the second half that Cas came up with an error at least twice possibly three times after we did the same again.
im guessing your in the east stand DaveO? It was painful ???? ISA was my mom.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Southern Softy wrote:Cas looked really out of sorts - especially Gale and spent the entire second half trying to con penalties. Maybe they got caught up in Powell's feud with Wane. I hope we make fewer mistakes next week, we should have romped it by more points.
A word about Gildart - his follow-up play for Budgie's two breaks was of the highest class, especially the second when you could see him telling Budgie that he was switching from outside to inside to take the ball. I know the tries were simple to score but what went before was really good.
i dont think Cas were out of sorts i think they were dominated in large parts of the game and were not allowed to play. I'm not sure Gayle is the player some people believe he is and i would rather have Williams. For those on here who thought our pack wasn't good enough i reckon were proven wrong tonight