Wigan prepare to announce Hardaker arrival

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: ZAK SIGNING ?

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:
DaveO wrote: Does not alter the fact that unless the club are paying him less than £75k signing Hardaker makes it harder to retain players as he takes up more of the cap.

If he is on less than £75k there would be no reason not to retain Sam as well. Yes it would cost whatever it costs to do that but so what? I am sure IL is touched by your concern for his wallet why you are I don't know. A cheapskate chairman is not compatible with being chairman of Wigan RL.

There are only two ways to look at this financially. Either Hardaker is on peanuts so we could have both him and Sam or he's earning enough that his increased cost on the cap compared to Sam is what makes it harder for Wigan to retain other players.

It also makes it harder to retain players if we sign a marquee player to replace Sam from outside the club as it would take £150K rather than £75K out of the cap.
And Cas might have won a GF. If's and buts....he took drugs instead.
Ever thought this is not a salary cap issue as such but could be that ST wants more than IL is going to pay him.

What if ST wants 300k a season. IL does not want to pay that much as someone has to pay for it. Or put this another way we have 10k season tickets approx. Everyone pays 15 pound more and pay ST the extra through that.

The situation is not as simple as some think I feel. Feeling I have is Catalan has offered him massive money that IL will not bank roll.
Yes IL may not want to match the wages he's been offered hence my comment about a cheapskate chairman above. A bit glib perhaps but if you are right then IL wants to run the club on the cheap because whatever Cats have offered him it's not going to be NRL level of wages. If our chairman is not prepared to dig deep to pay the going rate for top players he's just not wealthy enough to be running the club single handed. He needs other money men who will dig deep into their pockets.

IL wanted the marquee rule but apparently either can't afford or doesn't want to take advantage of the freedom that offers. So unless he has another player of equal quality lined up (and I don't mean Hardaker who ought not to be being rewarded with a huge wage for his drug taking) which will cost him as much if not more we are going to go backwards.

As to everyone paying more for tickets, the game long since stopped being financed by gate receipts. The finance comes from TV money, sponsorship and chairmans pockets. The TV money is fixed but it pays virtually the entire first team squads wages which is did not used to. So if money is tight enough not to pay a marquee wage then we are failing on the sponsorship and chairman's contribution front.

At this rate we will be being outspent by Toronto never mind Les Cats.

Plenty of people dislike the salary cap and feel it holds club who can afford to spend back. The marquee rule allows the cap to be "broken" for two players but we can't seemingly afford to take advantage. Ironic if true.
We pay more than any other club overall. Check the accounts. Thus, it makes no sense to paint IL as a cheapskate.
We have put a value on Sam. Based on his 3 yearswith us and our view on his future prospects. Any business in any walk of life has to put a value on its employees. He wants more and for longer, and doesn’t care that his prospects of winning anything with the club he wants to join are zero. That tells you everything we need to know about what sort of person he is,
If we paid him a fortune for the same output over the next 3 years as we have had in the last 2 and a bit then that would rank as terrible business. He might have a good rugby brain but if he is doing his thinking in the gym or on the couch then we may as well have a money bonfire every week.
Sam can stay, if he wants to stay with the club who stood by him, and wants to win things. But he doesn’t want to.
joeb

Re: Wigan prepare to announce Hardaker arrival

Post by joeb »

Yes
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

medlocke wrote:
joeb wrote:No problem but what have Doncaster done to you :lol:
I once had a bad experience there involving a rotund girl, a jar of lemon curd and a Batman cape :eusa12: :lol:
I’m intrigued but frightened to ask ????
jobo

Post by jobo »

medlocke wrote:
jobo wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:http://www.totalrl.com/wigan-prepare-to ... r-arrival/

Looks like its about to go public
Signing Hardacker and losing Tomkins?

Bad news imo.
Maybe we should have let Sam go and not bothered replacing him, i wonder if that would make the moaning fans happy
Who's moaning?

Very hood player Hardacker but will he improve us if we lose Tomkins?

I reckon not, hence bad news imo.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jobo wrote:
medlocke wrote:
jobo wrote: Signing Hardacker and losing Tomkins?

Bad news imo.
Maybe we should have let Sam go and not bothered replacing him, i wonder if that would make the moaning fans happy
Who's moaning?

Very hood player Hardacker but will he improve us if we lose Tomkins?

I reckon not, hence bad news imo.
DaveO &a few others
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Let's hope ZH as been on the same stuff Ben Barba was on?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

pearsy wrote:Let's hope ZH as been on the same stuff Ben Barba was on?
and also zak gets the same vid ref calls as barba........ his second today was never a try....... his finger was barely touching the underside ov the ball....... downwards pressure my arse
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Ben Barba = Sky Sports Show Pony, i bet Sam is reet jealous of all the attention he gets
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

medlocke wrote:Ben Barba = Sky Sports Show Pony, i bet Sam is reet jealous of all the attention he gets
Interesting point. We are all thinking about his salary etc but he is sure to become the French media darling. He will rake it in doing interviews etc. I don't know how much Sky pay him when he is on one of their shows but i know that the BBC pay him £5000 per appearance. (in a punditry role) Or at least it was before he went to NZ. It might have gone up now.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote:Ben Barba = Sky Sports Show Pony,

Yeah, he's rubbish, isn't he? :roll:

He's not responsible for the rubbish people say about him.