Next Wigan coach?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Next Wigan coach?

Post by moto748 »

ian b wrote:Sorry i've just posted on the rumour mill but it's in the papers that Edwards will be the next Wigan coach
Well, *some* of the papers.

The ones that don't say he's going to England RU as defence coach.
ian b

Post by ian b »

fair comment
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Ones I think are realistic (it's not a long list....)

Edwards
Deacon
Tony Smith
Winder
Some Aussie assistant

I don't think there is a realistic chance of getting a top Aussie coach.

I am not sure any of the English coaches such as Powell, Chester or even Betts will go for it. Even though Powell has done great at Cas for some reason I just don't think his heart would be in it. His entire career has been about beating Wigan and while you'd think he would be professional about the job I just have a gut feeling he would not fit.

Don't think Betts is good enough and not Chester either. They can coach small clubs and get a lot out of poor squads but coaching at the top level is a different thing I think. From that point of view Winder stands a better chance of making a go of it as he knows the ropes (thought whether tactically he's any good I have no idea).

jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

I think it's now or never regarding Edwards apparently he's been quoted as saying with good assistants coming back to league after such a long time he'd be fine. I've also heard Adrian Lam being mentioned i couldnt find where he is at the moment but apparently he was assistant to Meninga with Australia
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:I’m not a betting man but for me I think IL will give Winder a go at head coach,we can all make dream lists but I suspect it’ll come down to cost in the end and I would think Edwards may just be out of our sports price range.
We need to be very careful during this period its a huge transition.
Sam is probably our best player - hes leaving, Wane has his critics but this year i would hold my hands up and say we have done a lot better than i thought we would and the idea that Wigan training caused injuries has been thoroughly debunked IMO. Add to that Bateman and Sutton look like they are leaving we are potentially losing a lot of quality.

teams can quickly fall from grace and although the league is in a poor state we cant fall too far behind because the more "level" low bar playing field means youre quickly sucked into the pack were things can get sticky.
yep look at Bradford
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Why not go nice and easy,nice and cheep.

Rads,Lockers with Tommy.

4G
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Just a small point - Wigan changed their medical staff, as I understand it, which has coincided with a massive improvement in the overall health of the squad.
As for transition, looking at Saturday’s team, we clearly have a superb all round squad. Sutton is no better or worse than the rest of our top props, Hardaker brings us a cutting edge from full back that we lack currently, but we will massively miss Bateman. We will have available the wages currently being spent on FPN, McIllorum, Sutton and Tomkins (and maybe Bateman), less Hardaker’s money. With a marquee spot. Lockers looks good for another year.
Seems to me that the new coach has pretty much the best of both worlds - a superb core squad and the potential to add to it. I think this could be hugely exciting for us.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We will have available the wages currently being spent on FPN, McIllorum, Sutton and Tomkins (and maybe Bateman), less Hardaker’s money.
FPN and McIllorum are already long gone. We have not signed a single new player with their wages. Hardaker won't be here on a tiny wage. He's not signed a four year deal to be on the level of wage of a junior player.

Gildart, Davis and Marshall will have been given a pay rise which is fair enough but I don't think Sutton and Bateman will be on top dollar wages currently but even if they are, there is little evidence the club has much of a recruitment drive going on.

First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It has to be Edwards.

Everyone who had ever been coached or worked with him raves about him and union want him involved in England RU.

But he's a Wiganer. He still follows Wigan and the game and would have so much to offer. Think of Williams working with someone like Edwards. He was the best game reader I have ever seen.

Surely money isn't everything and the chance to coach the best club in the world must mean something. He would also have a clean slate as so many are leaving and he could bring in who he wants.

So come on IL, please please please bring him back. Having him come back, Hardaker signing and maybe a new half back and they would be queueing for season tickets round the stadium, even if Bateman and Sutton go.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:
We will have available the wages currently being spent on FPN, McIllorum, Sutton and Tomkins (and maybe Bateman), less Hardaker’s money.
FPN and McIllorum are already long gone. We have not signed a single new player with their wages. Hardaker won't be here on a tiny wage. He's not signed a four year deal to be on the level of wage of a junior player.

Gildart, Davis and Marshall will have been given a pay rise which is fair enough but I don't think Sutton and Bateman will be on top dollar wages currently but even if they are, there is little evidence the club has much of a recruitment drive going on.
Add to that Isa, Navarette and Powell.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards