Wane Leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wane Leaving

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I simply can't see how we can conclude that we just sacked him and have no squad for 2019 or any replacements in mind.
Taking those things in turn:
- the club and Wane's statements are clear that he decided to step down. The reasons they both give are sensible and match all the facts;
- I simply can't see where all this fear for 2019 comes from. We have a really good side, equal best with Saints, who will lose Barba at the end of the year. Sutton is a good prop, but we have plenty of those, Hardaker is a terrific player, and one any coach would be happy with at 1. Bateman will be a big loss, but the club/the new coach will have the money freed up by McIllorum, FPN, Bateman, Sam, Sutton and (sadly) Manfredi to play with - to the extent contract uplifts haven't eaten into it. That sounds like a fantastic basis to choose from; and
- I would be astonished if IL and Rads had not thought about potential successors. Even if for some reason they have not, we have ages to sort this out. Saints took no time at all to find Holroyd and get him in place. Applicants will be queuing up.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Check your facts re- ZH.
Cas and.Leeds wouldn't want him. The rest is feasible
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:Having thought about this for a while, a few things don't add up here.

I don't think Wane would leave Wigan "voluntarily". He has been pushed imo.

If this is the case, I don't buy the line that the club will "take it's time" in his successor. Those talks would be well down the line, if not finalised.

If it is Edwards, then this is really interesting as he has only just (a few days ago) lost out on the Harlequins RU Head Coach role. That would be a very quick decision by IL.

However, Wanes comments that he didn't want rumours of his departure spreading within the club would suggest it's not the case.... Unless of course these comments were a smokescreen.

The fact Eddie Jones was recently at a Wigan match? Again presuming Paul Gustard (the man who got the Quins job ahead of Edwards) kept his departure quiet, this would rule out the "scouting for England defence coach" theory.

My personal belief is that IL just sacked SW for whatever reason.

Nothing else is lined up.

Which actually is quite worrying.

I dont think he will have been sacked as of such but maybe there has been some form of disagreement.

My guess is that Wane knows how much a challenge next year will be and maybe asked for a war chest and IL said no and Wanes thought that 2019 with the personnel who are rumoured to be leaving + the personnel that have left he just didn't have the juice in the tank for it
i totally agree with this
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

SJ wrote:Check your facts re- ZH.

Zak Hardaker was offered Castleford Tigers return before joining Wigan Warriors

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... n-warriors
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
SJ

Post by SJ »

josie andrews wrote:

Thanks for that Josie
I would have been more surprised if the report came from Powell
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

SJ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:

Thanks for that Josie
I would have been more surprised if the report came from Powell
If you read or listen to his interview, he states he used to support Wigan when he was younger, then he signed at Leeds & obviously changed allegiance.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
joeb

Post by joeb »

He was offered a contract allegedly on a pitance so may have been done knowing full well he'd turn it down
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:I dont think their is anything sinister in wanes decision to leave.
I 100% agree with you on this

I was under the impression Wane was on a rolling one year contract so would have looked to renegotiate soon anyway

However. I think making this decision is a masterstroke. Lose games and win nothing and no one can claim he was sacked as a result. Win a trophy or three and he will go out at the top and with, in his words used to describe Sam "credit in the bank".

He would leave with possibly a great record and on a high AND ultimately the opportunity to try at another club wherever that may be or level
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
However. I think making this decision is a masterstroke. Lose games and win nothing and no one can claim he was sacked as a result.
Looks like I might have a crystal ball :wink:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: